1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

EXPERIMENTAL: Virtual Reality

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Leeloo, Sep 20, 2023.

1. Pr9tkin

Pr9tkin
    Expand Collapse

How can I make quest controllers appear inside the game? I have to press the interactive buttons by feel…

2. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Could you rephrase that? I don't understand what you mean by "goes crazy".

3. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Yes, this bug will be fixed in v0.32 :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. get'r fukn done

get'r fukn done
    Expand Collapse

to any amd 7900xtx users experiencing stutter or lag no matter the headset try this- disable every setting in AMD software adrenalin.. globally and per game settings.. all default to off- smoothest gameplay i've had on the normal preset with reflections turned up slightly for proper mirror visibility.

for giggles i thought maybe not using any of the offered 'boosts' to performance might magically give better gameplay as i was used to the settings working well for other vr driving sims.. turns out not touching anything *other than the fan curve* works great. - and no this isnt the actual ingame fps obviously- it was just sitting happily at the max fps allowed in vulkan/VR at 90hz at max super sampling in the oculus/meta software.

hardware im using
    quest 2 90hz(5408x2752/1.5x render resolution ran via hardwire questlink not airlink- encode bitrate set to 500 via debug tool)
    7900xtx(DUH but it's the xfx merc version if that matters)
    5800x3d
    x570 motherboard
    64gb 3600mhz memory
    beamNG installed on main 2tb nvme ssd

edit: was able to use the extreme graphics UI to set LOD bias to 300 for proper visibility of things for atleast 3 blocks on WCUSA on a server with real vehicle mods which are typically not optimized at all with a few players- i'm mind blown how well not using any of the AMD software settings has made my VR experience go from fighting motion sickness every time because i never had gotten it before on any other VR sim to butter smooth with no more migraines and enjoyable like the others sims.

Attached Files:

• RadeonSoftware_dhSZScGeME.png
    • RadeonSoftware_3tULjw9Eja.png
    #544 get'r fukn done, Jan 25, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
  5. pascalturbo00

pascalturbo00
    Expand Collapse

hello i got a small problem whit the vr version
    when i lean my head to the side the water rotates in the wrong direction
    like on one screen the water goes up and on the other it goes down
    i am on the Valve Index btw

6. Im_awesome04

Im_awesome04
    Expand Collapse

Yeah It's a known bug I believe, it's the same with the stars and lens flare as well.

7. SledgeR

SledgeR
    Expand Collapse

Is there a way to trigger the launcher for BeamNG.tech so I can enable Vulkan support? The only way I've found to run Vulkan is through BeamNG.drive on steam.

8. Pr9tkin

Pr9tkin
    Expand Collapse

Can we expect significant optimization of vr? Or will the performance on this engine depend mainly only on PC components?

9. Pr9tkin

Pr9tkin
    Expand Collapse

It wouldn't be a bad idea to add simplified rendering around the edges of the lens, it would greatly improve performance, there's a similar thing in the Assetto Corsa content manager on Steam VR

10. Pr9tkin

Pr9tkin
    Expand Collapse

Also very demanded function: supersampling (-100+%) and msaa (x2,x4,x8)

11. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

We want to improve performance, but absolutely not, you shouldn't expect any optimization, neither significant nor insignificant. For anyone reading this, do not make product purchase decisions based on estimations of future changes.

12. thevictor390

thevictor390
    Expand Collapse

Is it possible to adjust the camera position in VR? There are controls for moving the camera ("seat") but they don't seem to work. For my headset (Oculus Rift S) the position is consistently just a bit too far back in the cabin. Other than that this game is a crazy cool experience in VR. I do agree that some performance improvements would go a long way, my 7900XT was struggling on medium.

13. aivora

aivora
    Expand Collapse
    Research Software Engineer
    BeamNG Team

Hi, you can use the command-line arguments to run with Vulkan support: `Bin64\BeamNG.tech.x64.exe -gfx vk`. However, some of the features are yet unsupported with Vulkan, such as the Camera and Lidar sensors.

14. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Options > Camera > Camera:Driver > Allow modification of seat adjustments

Verify that the option works in flatscreen. If it works there, it will also work in VR.
    If it doens't work in flatscreen, then you have probably assigned conflicting keys in Options > Controls, you'll need to fix that first.

15. Im_awesome04

Im_awesome04
    Expand Collapse

Also make sure you aren't using the tilt forward/back buttons by accident, as those don't do anything in vr.

But it definitely works, saves per car and between sessions too which is nice.

16. thevictor390

thevictor390
    Expand Collapse

I don't remember finding that setting so I bet that's it, I'll try it out. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Paperpixels

Paperpixels
    Expand Collapse

I was working on a Flowgraph node to detect VR enable/disable state change.

Then, I made an override of openxr.lua to change the local function stateChanged like:
    -- get all flowgraph managers
    local managers = {}
    managers = core_flowgraphManager.getAllManagers()

-- broadcast event onOpenxrStatusChange
    for _, mgr in ipairs(managers) do
    mgr:broadcastCall('onOpenxrStatusChange', M.state.enabled)
    end

Working great, except for the fact that when VR is enabled that broadcastCall is not just an impulse, it's a flow instead.
    This means that the local function stateChanged is called at every tick when VR is enabled.
    And this means that render_openxr.stateChanged is called at every tick as well.

Of course I can create a local "last_state" to ensure the flowgraph impulse is triggered once.
    I'm worried about performance issue here and, by the way, reading the function name, I think this is not expected/intended.

Hope to receive a feedback from a BeamNG dev to confirm the matter is attentionated.

18. TStabbert

TStabbert
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Hello :) I made a simple node that should do what you require

Attached Files:

19. yungfishstickk

yungfishstickk
    Expand Collapse

I managed to get VR working in-game via a wired connection, but the only issue is that the resolution is 1872x2016 per eye which looks pretty pixelated on my Quest 3. In the Oculus software I have it set to the 90hz setting which outputs at a far higher resolution so I'm not sure why the game is deciding to choose this specific resolution. Is there any way to fix this?

20. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

You may have customized the resolution silder located in Options > Display > VR. If so, put it back to 100%. If 100% is still too low resolution, then the misconfiguration is happening outside BeamNG.drive, such as your VR drivers, 3rd party VR software you may have installled (such as streaming software, custom openxr layers/plugins, etc).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice