1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Extremely low poly car mods

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by coopercrue, Jan 4, 2014.

1. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

Don't be cocky like that. If a car this low-poly was slapped onto a n/b skeleton, no matter how well-suited, there are only so many polygons that the game engine can shuffle around. The car's deformation would look all jagged and misformed. Even gabester said in this very thread that a low detail skeleton would defeat the purpose of BeamNG, and anything more detailed would just be inconsistent.

I'm all for having more cars, but at the end of the day, quality comes before quantity. An old ~500 polygon model from 1999 is going to look badly inconsistent in a game from 2013, no matter how much you touch it up.

RoR is still more a proof of concept than an actual functioning game, though. As great and more quantitative than BeamNG as it is, it's been around since around 2005, likely full of legacy code and, to be honest, nowhere near the quality standard of BeamNG. BeamNG is a sort of "RoR greatest hits", utilising all of the combined knowledge gained by the developers and content creators of RoR. BeamNG's roots may still be in the lesser-detailed models of 2005, but it's advanced well past that, and to be honest, the main attraction that people not-so-in-the-know will see is the deformation physics - deformation that will look awful on such aged models. You want to attract people with the quality of the game.

2. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Offtopic as hell but, yolo right?

Meh whatever, Yet another person saying im basically a dick. I'm done with the internet anyways pretty much.

3. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

I've learned something through life. If lots of people are telling you you're being a dick, you might be acting like a dick. It's really helped me out

4. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

I'll just.. Come back here when I'm ready...
    (imported from here)

5. Smeowkey

Smeowkey
    Expand Collapse

There's nothing wrong with being a dick. Be yourself. Those who disagree with you can go fuck themselves if they're unhappy.

6. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Don't be yourself if you're inside self is a dick. Just do everyone a favor.

7. simon48

simon48
    Expand Collapse

If you're just doing it for nostalgia, couldn't you make it look low poly (very blocky), but have a lot of unchanged loop cuts? That way there are a lot of nodes and beams so the damage is smooth, but it still looks blocky.

8. Josef733

Josef733
    Expand Collapse

Are you doubting my knowledge with ROR? Of course I know what Low poly .truck files are since I started playing ROR 5 years ago when all the cars were just low poly. But for some reason after Gabe and a few other cars makers came in with high poly vehicles, some people felt the need to reupload and make more of these 100 polygon cars. I don't want that to happen with this game because we are past the stage of these .truck cars.

9. Killerchicken

Killerchicken
    Expand Collapse

My oldest is 33 years old (mos vic ^^)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice