FFB core file(s)

Discussion in 'Programming' started by NOCARGO, May 8, 2019.

1. Capkirk

Capkirk
    Expand Collapse

Darn. It was worth a shot I suppose. I imagine reduce strength at low speeds isn't helping any, but you pretty much need it due to wheels in beamNG being not quite round. Maybe the devs can provide feedback?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

My Fanatec wheel is belt driven. Those belts drive sprockets. HOW am I going to tell this wheel to return to its center precisely ?
    --- Post updated ---
    No no, note that the wheels DO listen to the controller :)
    --- Post updated ---
    You're on the right track, reducing ffb strength no help cause the more strength the more centering but the more strength the heavier
    to steer :) It's the controller itself, just like a gamepad. Release button (I mean stick) and boom : wheels to center
    --- Post updated ---
    'Backlash', is that the right word ? Sorry, English not my mother language. We need an additional program, or even better if possible,
    an additional program line that yanks a wheel to it's center by default. Then deduce the rest from there on :)
    --- Post updated ---
    Sorry if there's double posting, things are getting jumbled up here..
    --- Post updated ---
    If you fire up a wheel like mine (Fanatec) it goes thru a small calibration process turning fully to the right and then fully, yes FULLY
    to the center. I mean DEAD center, so the firmware automatically FINDS the dead center of such wheel. This means that programmatically
    such wheel (and for sure many more) is (are) capable of returning themselves to coordinate zero-point-zero-zero-zero-infin... :D
    --- Post updated ---
    https://support.logitech.com/en_us/article/287?product=a0qi00000069uipAAA

'The default centering spring that centers the joystick handle or steering wheel in games that do not support force feedback will not be affected by this slider. However, games that support force feedback may or may not disable the default centering spring.'

??

#22 NOCARGO, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
  3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Center is not actual center in cars, for example when drifting it can be full opposite lock where wheel automatically seeks to.

If you would set your wheel to center like controller it would be wrong and not working like cars do IRL. That fake centering spring is going to work only if you drive like a grandma, it will not really work with steering by throttle pedal situations.

If you remove slow speed reduction checkbox, then increased damping, you might find better low speed 'centering' without wheel hunting so much back and forth. Also then there are better options than belt or gear driven wheels.

4. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

After the improvements in 0.16 i was able to lower the smoothing settings to almost half of what i had, check you settings folks, you might miss out on FFB details.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Capkirk

Capkirk
    Expand Collapse

Wow, I can actually turn off "reduce strength at low speeds" and it's perfectly fine other than a few cars that like to shake a bit when standing still if you jerk the wheel really hard. They really have improved FFB a ton.

6. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Nice to hear, ill try that too! Do you experience any difference between cars with and without powersteering, at low speed?

7. Capkirk

Capkirk
    Expand Collapse

Trying to turn the wheel at low speed actually takes a lot of effort without power steering, on most cars it easily maxes out the FFB strength. Once you get rolling it's a lot lighter, and it's pretty much effortless above 60 mph with reduced smoothing. It feels a lot more like real life, I literally cannot turn the wheel of my car more than a few inches when sitting still without power steering.

8. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I know, that article is also about a pretty old controller I believe. I just like the part where it says the default centering spring can
    be activated or deactivated by force feedback supporting games :) I just have this vision where I believe the wheel can be centered
    programmatically only when appropriate like IF this blabla that THEN this blabla that :) Cause, the firmware is able to center on init, right ?
    Btw, yes there must be better systems already then belt and gear. I don't know of them yet and I guess pretty expensive too. I suppose
    the real car simulators will have those. :)

PS I'm still a bit afraid to update from 0.15.0.3 to 0.16 (blushes a little) cause these changes I made to make my favorite functions work..
    what if they don't work anymore? I only own my copy couple of months and put a lot of work in it. I guess I want to enjoy the results
    a bit before diving into the repair process if any :)

9. Capkirk

Capkirk
    Expand Collapse

What did you change? The game is pretty good about not messing up your settings, I don't think it ever has for me, and it won't touch anything in the documents folder when updating. If you edited the core game files that will get reverted though. I do strongly recommend updating to 0.16, the improved steering jbeam woth torsion beams means you can fully disable "reduce strength at low speeds" and reduce smoothing a ton, and that makes FFB feel a whole lot nicer, and it centers much better at low speed.

10. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Direct Drive wheels is all the rage within sim racers of today, you can search more about them from the web, but everyone who has switched to one seem to be praising how much better it is.

11. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Thx @fufsgfen will check it out :)
    --- Post updated ---
    Ok, here we go :

So, uhm.. a short list of things working :

- everything

first screenshot still WIP (no heater cluster)

The manual odo is now lined up too so it looks decent. I put a turbo in the 3.0 i6. And I leave the connaiseur to find out
    from which car this is inspired :) The original car had an option for accelerometer and digital compass or oilpressure+temp and
    turbo boost gauge. I wanted it all so since there is no volt or amp stream in the game I stuffed the boost gauge in the battery meter
    and the oil pressure gauge uses oil temperature. I'm trying to upload mp4's to show how everything works but it's not working, they
    get stuck.

This car's instrument panel has saveable manual odometer, amount of fuel, speed (also under the digit), rpm, battery light, oilpressure
    light, watertemp, oiltemp, turbo in the battery gauge, cruise control checklight, accelerometer, liters/100km, average speed, distance
    to empty, 2 trip meters (like original but not able to reset YET), < oh the mp4 just popped in, just took long time> compass ,
    digital clima (WORKS) > temp set , in and outside temp, airco, recycle mode, airflow control (windscreen, face, feet) and so on
    I'm still forgetting stuff cause too much (reality consisting) details.. The mp4 is also wip-period.

I changed only one core file, light state stuff. I put in and extra function there to pop lights without them turning on and with core file
    control button (like lights) it's just a simple press of a button AND easy to port to all popup light cars :)

For the digitals I'm using lot's of etk800 gaugescreen controllers(copies of them) and other electrics.values in lua files.

There's much more to say but only if one asks please just to save me the trouble if no one cares. :p

scrcpt.mp4

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  12. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

After a LOT of tweaking I am finally getting some nice results. :)
    It's not yet THAT what I'm really after but I must say it's starting to become better then any other driving (race) sim I ever used.
    I finally took the courage to update the firmware on my steering wheel cause I read the update provides
    more settings to the wheel. This was already the case in 2013 or so, that must have been shortly after
    I purchased it. The risk was worth it. As my wheel before provided drift modes from 0-3 it now has
    drift modes from 0-5. This setting functions as some sort of power steering to the wheel so it becomes
    lighter on maneuvering. This has been a major improvement because making the steering lighter in
    the game also makes it lose the force needed to be responsive. Then there is the response correction
    curve. Thank goodness I managed to get this working too. The best result so far is leaving it just like
    it is produced by wheelcheck.exe besides smoothing the first 4, 5 lines where the force said to be zero.
    Combined with endless tweaking of the force feedback settings in game and not to forget the individual
    FFBcoef in the front suspension jbeams the result is becoming very pleasing. I find the power steering
    being less of influence on the whole matter in the end though I need some further testing on all the factors
    anyway. The drift mode from the wheel really makes the steering light without loosing the force needed
    to be accurate and the response correction curve (thank you devs for making it !) gets things closer to
    smooth actions around the center of the steering. Imo it still needs improvement but my demands might
    be on the higher scale. I will be working on the matter now and then :)

#32 NOCARGO, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice