First car for under 1000€?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Slammington, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Seems pretty similar to the gearing on my mom's Kia Cee'd. You can get up to 5th gear before 60km/h and not "bog down", and there's no 6th gear. Driving at 140km/h on the highway means the engine is screaming away at nearly 5000 RPM though.

I like the starlet, and if I can find a good deal on one i'll definitely be looking into it :) The polo is nice, but the 1.0 engine in that car is utterly terrible. I don't mind the low power output, but the maintenace costs/reliability are absolutely ridiculous.
    For safety, I'll admit the saxo is a tin can with no structural integrity, but it's a comfortable and well built one, at the very least :p

2. nosraenyr kcirtap kcin

nosraenyr kcirtap kcin
    Expand Collapse

Chevy Cobalt upload_2017-10-15_9-21-58.jpeg they are pretty light and small also 40 mpg.

3. Rainvest

Rainvest
    Expand Collapse

And where can you find one from under 1000 euros?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. nosraenyr kcirtap kcin

nosraenyr kcirtap kcin
    Expand Collapse

Good point but in America it's a pretty good first car

5. coolusername

coolusername
    Expand Collapse

not in europe

6. Rainvest

Rainvest
    Expand Collapse

And that too. Cobalts are trash anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Though you can find one in the US for that much.

I think they'd be better than a Korean car at that price, and better in comfort, but worse in reliability than a similarily-priced Japanese one.

I'd say that for somebody in search of a decent-to-use $1300 car, the Cobalt is a good option, together with the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. coolusername

coolusername
    Expand Collapse

Fair enough, but it says 1000 Euro in the thread's title, so i guess the thread starter lives in europe and just want a cheap car, and not something from the US because such cars either expensive or cheap but scrap here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

To be fair, we may give the thread a worldwide focus.

In my country, Poland, a good €1000 (ca. 4300 PLZ) cheap first car is a Mk3 1.4 VW Polo station wagon.

If you're willing to push the part budget up, you should get a 90s Starlet with a 1.3 (though searching for one could be a nuissance).
    If the budget goes up more, a 90s Toyota Corolla/Carina or Audi 80 is a good option.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice