First Car Suggestion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by JoshTheAwesome, Feb 17, 2017.

1. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

a little thing called the Chicken tax. a 25% tarrif on chickens, something else, and small pickup trucks.

2. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Interesting, apparently a lot of diesel Pick-up/Suv from europe / Asia are banned.

3. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

The Hilux was never "banned" When they brought out the 1984 model year, they stopped calling them Hiluxes, and then they were just called "Toyota Pickups", then in the mid 90's they brought out the "Tacoma" name. I don't think the actual trucks changed from the internationally sold Hilux until 04 or 05.

The Tacoma's have almost a cult following for their reliability, But they have one huge problem, they (and most all Toyota trucks) are made from some of the worst grade steel imaginable, and Toyota actually had a class action lawsuit filed against them for so many trucks literally rusting in half.

#43 Peterbilt, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. aesthetic_tea

aesthetic_tea
    Expand Collapse

Ah. Thanks for correcting me.

5. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

You can also import a "real" Hilux as long as it's over 25 years old. The Japanese and other international models had lots of different options like diesel engines. They're not banned, just never sold in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

looks like the bodies where built better than the frame for the most part:p
    ot just get the cheapest decent 4wd/fwd car you can since it has a chance of getting wreaked and I dont know about Massachusetts but Connecticut puts some crap on the roads that turns this into this

#46 JBatic, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  7. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

It's really not a build quality thing as much as it is a cheese-grade steel thing.

8. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

That is unreal. What a horrible way for a truck to die. My buddy briefly worked at a Toyota dealership and I saw a truck frame sitting in the receiving bay. Something about a warranty repair replacing the FRAME of a truck. I didn't ask anymore questions.

9. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Is it even fixable at this stage? I guess you can change the frame but not much...
    On unibody, even rusted as hell, at least they stayed in one piece, but I guess rust on a frame can be a pain to repair..
    I mean, on a unibody car, you know, you cut the rusted part, you put a piece of steal on it and it's ready to go (not really but hey)
    But I guess on a frame...

#49 Ulrich, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Dunkleosteus

Dunkleosteus
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

It's unibody with an I, just so you know.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Woups, gotta change that

• Like Like x 1
  12. Andybravec

Andybravec
    Expand Collapse

one of these. w123 240d or 300d. yes it looks old, yes its not really fast. but it will run over 1 million miles with regular maintenance. also VERY comfy and not that complex as mercs are known to be, roomy (especially in wagon variant) and overall good looking.

Attached Files:

• mercedes_200_w123.jpg
  13. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

I second this if you can find one. The normal luxury car stereotypes you've been warned about don't apply here. They're used as bush taxis in Africa for a reason.

EDIT: Actually no, not as your first car. You'll crash it and I'll be sad.

#53 Googlefluff, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  14. Andybravec

Andybravec
    Expand Collapse

exactly. i want one of these too as a first car, but id rather go for a w124 diesel as its a bit more safe (late models have airbags too)
    but my parents said they prefer a volvo 740/940 instead
    --- Post updated ---
    but it will be my only choice anyways (since being over 2 meters in height limits the palette of cars that fit me (out of which the only car i comfortably sat in so far was a w126 mercedes.....)

15. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

My edit was directed at Lukerules, not you. I made it before I saw your post so I didn't even know you were looking for a first car. I tend to assume that people are good drivers unless they prove otherwise.

16. Land Cruiser

Land Cruiser
    Expand Collapse

1999 - 2001 Toyota 4Runner!
    4RunnerBullBar001.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice