1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

First Impressions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LJFHutch, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Treevus

Treevus
    Expand Collapse

Even only being able to play on 3 terrains because of my computer's power, I still love this sim. It's almost everything I've ever wanted in RoR, in one neat package. This might actually be the best use of $15 I've ever had.

I have to personally thank the developers for putting in all the work that they have. :)

2. thevidmaster

thevidmaster
    Expand Collapse

this game is truly amazing in every aspect.the devs put so much detail into this game, when you drive on the roads, your car gets pulled down into random potholes, or raises when you drive over the newly applied asphalt. its everything i've ever wanted in a simulator. thank you

3. bosseye

bosseye
    Expand Collapse

I f*****g love Drive. Seriously, its the driving sim/game/tech demo I've been hunting for since my early days on C64, master system, Mega Drive and Sega Saturn when my friends and I used to play Super Offroad and Need for Speed and wish we had proper crashable deforming vehicles. Everytime I've played Forza or Gran Turismo I've wished for the same thing - how much more realistic is it, how much more consequential the racing when you know if you mess up you'll properly total the vehicle? So Drive just ticks all the boxes for me in terms of technology. Its a truly beautiful thing to simply play with the impacts and the deformation. I've been having a cracking time on Dry rock Island, pushing my as fast as it will go yet trying to remain on the road. When I lose control and it all goes wrong, its just glorious.

RigsofRods was a good start but laggy and buggy and looked pretty poor, plus the UI was fairly unfriendly and often impenetrable, so Drive with its nice easy install, clear menus, more obvious controls and fancier graphics is a bit of a joy.

A bit of optimisation would be welcomed, although clearly theres time for that.

So yeah, top bit of software, well worth the 10 quid I paid. Fine work lads.

#183 bosseye, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  4. blinkingyellow

blinkingyellow
    Expand Collapse

My reaction, i do not remember i was shocked. lol

5. TheFastRacer

TheFastRacer
    Expand Collapse

I was amazed by the tech demo and bought the alpha a day later. I love(d) the handling of the Ibishu Covet. With it's lightness and FWD, and a decent 4-cylinder engine, that car is really fun to drive. In my opinion, it's the best car to drive in BeamNG so far. I really like the Grand Marshal too. The suspension is really soft, and it's ride height is low, so if you hit a bump the car will hit the ground most of the times. But it is driveable, not the best handling but with around 300hp it's quite a powerful car. Great car to drift around in :) In my opinion, also the best looking car of BeamNG. Then you have the truck. The thing is heavy and ideal to ram and go off-road with. Best car for Dry Rock Island in my opinion :D The Civetta is my last favourite car. I don't like it's design too much and I don't really enjoy driving it. At high speeds, the car is turning by itself. Which is weird, because there is no wheelspin when this happens. The van and the boxtruck are both one of my favourites too. Ideal to destroy cars with. With the boxtruck, you can transport the Civetta, Covet and Grand Marshal. Just remove the cargo doors and reverse it in front of a ramp. Also, I like to destroy the box :D

6. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

i have never seen a manual transmission where it was possible to shift to reverse while carrying any kind of speed forward

7. DryFrog

DryFrog
    Expand Collapse

Driving the Civetta Bolide on small island is one of my favourite things in Drive although it is difficult to master at speed which increases the fun and the realism preventing the boredom that comes with a "too easy" experience. The other rewarding experience for me is driving the Hatch Rally model around the dirt sections of Dry Rock Island. This game has no problem keeping the player engaged for hours with so many things to try out from the jumps in the industrial sections to the full pipe roll of Grid Map.

It will be great to have the game play modes, but for now it is a really great driving experience, especially with a steering wheel and I am just happy exploring the maps and pushing the cars to the limit of my skill.
    The environments and artwork in the maps are just stunning to watch as you drive, which lifts the experience to new levels for me. Fantastic job on the maps LJFHutch, each one is a visual masterpiece to behold...

When you realise you hit a particular section or corner too fast, or simply hit that pothole at the top of the hill in small island and the car begins to slide out of control it is not too hard to imagine how you would feel at that awful moment in the real world although here you know you are safe as your car wraps around a tree or tumbles onto the beach as a total wreck. The physics aren't 100% perfect yet but are still mighty impressive, so great work on that too.
    Overall a fantastic effort for only four guys to have achieved so far and I look eagerly forward to each new update as that is icing on the cake of something that only cost the same price as 3 good cups of coffee, so no complaints from this happy driver. I got my money's worth in the first hour.

8. thepeca

thepeca
    Expand Collapse

Untitled.png
    Love IT!

9. BigC92

BigC92
    Expand Collapse

i loved it when it was being made! its awesome, but i got a ? ok lets say when/if i buy it, (hopefully soon :)) lets say i moved somewhere else, will i still beable to download the game and still have my membership intact, or what? im no computer genius.

10. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Yes, you can install it on any of your computers. Just don't share your serial key with others :)

11. Mctittles

Mctittles
    Expand Collapse

CPU at 100% is something you do not want to happen ever. Because of how windows is a threaded system if a program manages to reach that your pc will completely lock up. Take a look at the task manager and all of the processes there. Each one uses a % of cpu including things associated with typing on your keyboard or moving your mouse around. There are tons of processes and many processes have multiple threads.

If you select view-select columns and choose "Threads" you can see how many threads each process uses. Each thread can be thought of another process or program running and if you make one of your threads use 100% cpu the other threads won't have a chance to run because they have to take turns.

Anyway, unless the game is programmed poorly, 70% CPU use is pretty common in even the most CPU intensive games. Otherwise the games other threads and even your keyboard input would not work.

12. Mumia76

Mumia76
    Expand Collapse

Yes I've found the same to solve the problem. It seems vsync caps fps to 30.

13. TomTom100

TomTom100
    Expand Collapse

It's really enjoyable to play!

14. Yuvinw

Yuvinw
    Expand Collapse

I finally bought the Alpha and I must say, the terrain is just so beautiful. It reminds me of some country roads in Sri Lanka. I love it, just an amazing, beautiful, physics simulator.

15. MercTrucker

MercTrucker
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, it was a typo. I meant from reverse into 1st. 1st to reverse wouldn't work because reverse doesn't have a synchro. Its not that its realistic to do so, its that its technically possible.

16. Frank1

Frank1
    Expand Collapse

This is so cool i have played it for 6 hours today doing various tests and just driving cant wait for more cars and maps only 1 thing is there for me to not to like(<-probably misspelled) that is the bug if i drive into something very fast like a tree or a post i get stuck in it D:

btw is the next version coming out anytime soon?

17. tymmo98

tymmo98
    Expand Collapse

It is absolutely AWESOME even if there are still a lot of bugs.

18. Dr.Bullshit

Dr.Bullshit
    Expand Collapse

And here I'd show my impressions of BeamNG Drive
    tumblr_m3iz1hkRYM1qddo5h.png
    If I had it

Going to buy it (again) very soon.

Edit:
    Actually, I can say something.
    My first experience of BeamNG Drive is that the invoice hasn't got proper instructions and that I'm horrible at transferring money, lmao!

#198 Dr.Bullshit, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  19. luke198

luke198
    Expand Collapse

best... game... EVER! But lags on my computer:(

20. LexTube

LexTube
    Expand Collapse

Here is my first impression playing the tech demo!

#200 LexTube, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice