1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

First Impressions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LJFHutch, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Barretted

Barretted
    Expand Collapse

So far I love it, even though I can't run it amazingly it's still extremely satisfying when you see the damage done to both cars when you collide them head on. There are obviously improvements to make as it is Alpha, but so far there is nothing that has made me think I've wasted my money. I can't wait to see what the final product will become and I'm going to be there every step of the way.

Thanks to the developers at BeamNG :D

2. JSC888

JSC888
    Expand Collapse

Great game with a lot of potential. Definitely spent a lot more time than I though I would just intentionally (and unintentionally) running into and off of things with different vehicles. Keeping in mind that this is still in development my only complaints are the floaty feel of the cars and the fact that at higher speeds the seem to drift left or right and don't track in a straight line very well (using a keyboard not a joystick or other controller). Also in the "real" environments it seems like vehicles seem to get caught on object like rocks in the road quite a bit, and when going up some hills they seem to be a bit underpowered (although the later may actually be more realistic).

Looking forward to what you guys come up with in future updates and seeing how this game evolves!

3. Zoltan

Zoltan
    Expand Collapse

Hi everybody,

First congratulations for putting this alpha together!

I have regularly seen screens & vids about this and always thinked this would stay an demonstration engine to be sold to the game companies, finally it's a standalone community based tool with so much potential to make many games.

Well my first impressions :

Some parts remind me of three past games I loved more or less, Destruction Derby (so much fun), 1nsane (great physics for this time), and Cabellas Offroad adventures (A bit too much)

The best part is that the Physic of destruction is awesome first time I think it's pushed that way, I wish there was a dummy guy inside like for the "serious" crash tests ;)
    The graphic engine is very good too, the terrain is sufficiently realistic and leave a big window open for the creatives people with a lot of time ahead.
    The driving part is less good to me (using a keyboard) I feel constantly like driving on ice whatever vehicle I use or terrain I'm on, my feeling is mostly identical as JSC888 so I will not develop this you get the point. it's difficult to explain really as this is complex physics but I feel that for me this as to do with the soft part of the keypress that is very fast and lead to strong steering and fast acceleration (bad combination unless you are a born natural drifter:D)
    Also I must notice that in offroad situations the vehicles struggles to climb what would seem possible to me with an ordinary offroad vehicle, I have tried using manual shifting but unfortunately the vehicle wont even drive, so without any success, I feel like an idiot...

I really hope many will support you financially so you can continue the great work you have done so far, keep it up

Thanks

Best regards

#223 Zoltan, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  4. exxkai

exxkai
    Expand Collapse

After having played the tech demo for 3 hours , I immediately purchased the Alpha, I don't know what came over me, it was just a gut reaction, but I know I won't be disappointed :p Great physics and graphics are pretty top-notch for just being an Alpha. See you all in the Online Mode !

5. Lister

Lister
    Expand Collapse

this is a best crash racing games, thank BeamNG

6. MrTickleCole

MrTickleCole
    Expand Collapse

Good release.

7. Nhexus

Nhexus
    Expand Collapse

This is awesome :D
    I already downloaded the demo and it is amazing!
    Today I will buy the full version for sure!!
    Keep up the good work:D

Nhexus

8. bza420

bza420
    Expand Collapse

purchased the alpha yesterday and immediately went to work at getting my G27 wheel to work and been playing it for hours since! i absolutely love it! seems the cars do kinda drift left or right and spin out at high speeds (esp the Bolide) but the damage model and physics are just INCREDIBLE (even though adding 2 more ai cars on my AMD Phenom IIx4 965BE/ Radeon 7850PE slows things down quite a bit, not complaining i know there's a ton of physics at work) and i love how the mapping of the buttons on the G27 lets me pause the game, enter slow-mo mode, change vehicles,etc as all that is a bit much to do on a keyboard so props to whoever did the mapping i downloaded from here. if this is just the alpha stage for the game i can't wait to see how the updates go in the future! and being able to mod and edit the vehicles and maps make it alot of endless fun to keep spending hours and hours on. good work devs!!! :cool:

9. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

My first impression was, wow its actually as awesome as I imagined. For a while I was dealing with the keyboard and got decent. Enjoy flipping it a few times. The wrecks are entertaining but I've found that going through the roads as fast as possible and keeping the car under control is the funnest part. When you lose control unexpectedly those are the best wrecks. Its an awesome with plenty of room for improvement and I can't wait to see what comes next!

-Austin

10. antking

antking
    Expand Collapse

much car:cool:

11. bassjunkie

bassjunkie
    Expand Collapse

this is the BEST physics i have ever seen! and it is amazing!

12. skymiracle

skymiracle
    Expand Collapse

The update color for the Covet reminds me of an old Civic.
    Kinda neat

13. xuculate

xuculate
    Expand Collapse

Hello. I' m new here in Beamng, I' m car designer and I want to put my 3D cars into the game. I write here because I don' t know if have a thread with some tutorial to explain this, I searched but i didn' t find anything. Somebody can help my?,I' m lost a bit.

The sim is awesome!

thank you!

Xuacu

14. LandYacht76

LandYacht76
    Expand Collapse

Are you retarded? Seriously.
    Anyways, I brought it a week ago or two, game is killer, completely lived up to my expectations.

#234 LandYacht76, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  15. Outlawed

Outlawed
    Expand Collapse

first impression? damn these things crash awesome followed by why do all these things handle like shopping carts?

16. blinkingyellow

blinkingyellow
    Expand Collapse

I noticed you are kinda disrespectful with users, please i want to tell you to not be rude with them, just ignore. just saying.

17. farcar

farcar
    Expand Collapse

I've been perusing the forums and dabbling in the tech demo for a couple of nights now, on my abacus (Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM). It's been really fun. It actually runs better than I thought it would, but I digress...

My new rig is due in a couple of days, and the first thing I'll do is buy the Drive Alpha. Second, figure out how to configure my pedals. Third, DRIVE!

My impressions of the game, the developers and the community so far are overwhelmingly positive. Here's a brain dump of my thoughts:

• The physics are just amazing easily the best in class. A huge congrats to the devs on this wonderful centrepiece to Drive.
    • I look forward to more content to be released by the gabester and the community. Bring on more cars and Maps!

If it were up to me, development priorities would be:

1. Better wheel / pedal support. Live For Speed has the most flexible and intuitive method of configuring wheels and pedals in my opinion. Maybe the Drive devs can take a leaf out of Scavier's book in this regard?
    2. Replays and an awesome free camera. A lot of people think this should be well down the priority list, but I disagree. A pure sandbox game as this is (especially a game where crashing and damage are centre stage) needs replays. Why? So you can enjoy the carnage firstly, but also so that clever people can make awesome movies. Again, I'd recommend that the Devs look to Live For Speed. Scavier have developed a beautifully simple and highly flexible replay and free cam system. Again, the best that I've seen.
    3. AI traffic to avoid (or not avoid). It wouldn't have to be super smart, it just need to be there. there's endless fun to be had mucking around with traffic!
    4. Keep a firm focus on cars and trucks for now. Many people seem to want Drive to emulate RoR and do cranes, boats, planes and the like. But I'd prefer Drive to be a more focussed game, and not try and do too much, just absolutely nail the driving aspect. Hopefully with a title like 'Drive', that will be the case.

Just my opinion of course. :)

18. LandYacht76

LandYacht76
    Expand Collapse

If you ignore them, more of them will pop up.

19. AX53

AX53
    Expand Collapse

I'm really glad this game is in progress. Ever since I played Crysis 1 and found the awesome windy road on the way to "The Village" I've imagined how amazing a driving simulator in cryengine would be. And now it's here! :)

+ I really like the detail in the roads combined with the fragileness of the cars. Makes it even more fun to drive a little bit too fast, knowing that hitting a pot hole or concrete patch can knock you off course into a tree.
    I also feel great potential in the handling physics. Coming from LFS, realistic physics is a priority for me and I feel that I am positively surprised by the handling of this game. I love pulling the handbrake. It makes a great screeching sound :3

- I feel that the primitive keyboard steering and the lack of force feedback when you're using your racing wheel is a very big set back to get the full experience. I am definitely looking forward to some improved steering options. Maybe a built in counter-steering correction for the keyboard. Also, I notice that when you steer in one direction and want to steer in the other direction. Sometimes the steering input doesn't register and the wheels gets stuck in the center leaving me spinning out.

Another negative. I feel that the front wheels sometimes jerk around in their constraints when you steer into an "uncomfortable" angle. Not sure if there is a reason for this or if it's fixable.

Small things I'd like to see:
    - Stalling, starters etc
    - Different engine sounds than just the V8 samples.
    - Adjustability in suspension and steering parts
    - An RWD 4-banger coup?
    - Better steering settings and FFB as mentioned above

Things I'd love to see in the future
    - Multiplayer
    - Replays

#239 AX53, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  20. Axi-Dent

Axi-Dent
    Expand Collapse

The future for this is so bright its gotta wear sunglasses :)

Saw the videos on youtube and thought to myself if I could get my hands on this I'd be stoked... and here I am, you come back in a year or two and the mods for this will be interesting, I'm hoping to create some cars myself for this as I have done for other engines, but my first impression was: must have... cheers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice