1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

First Impressions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LJFHutch, Aug 4, 2013.

1. ahockey2390

ahockey2390
    Expand Collapse

I remember seeing the first "gameplay" about a year, maybe more ago. I was so pumped for it and spent countless hours playing rigs of rods just trying to pass the time so this game would hurry up and reach some sort of beta or alpha release. It's awesome because I remember following the progress of people like gabester, mythbuster, nadeox1, and so on. I'd check daily for any news about this game and since the release, I was absolutely blown away by the alpha. It was everything i thought it would be and more. I figured in the videos from before the release were just edited to enhance the look of the game but nope. I was wrong. This game is amazing!!

- - - Updated - - -

I remember seeing the first "gameplay" about a year, maybe more ago. I was so pumped for it and spent countless hours playing rigs of rods just trying to pass the time so this game would hurry up and reach some sort of beta or alpha release. It's awesome because I remember following the progress of people like gabester, mythbuster, nadeox1, and so on. I'd check daily for any news about this game and since the release, I was absolutely blown away by the alpha. It was everything i thought it would be and more. I figured in the videos from before the release were just edited to enhance the look of the game but nope. I was wrong. This game is amazing!!

2. wardragon

wardragon
    Expand Collapse

I first saw this when the first video came out showing the development with some crashes happening, and at first, I was amazed at the physycs it had and also the simulation level including the graphics.

Playing it around for a couple of days made me even eager to see how far this will go! Everything for me is like my expectations, the physycs, the drivability, the deformation of the models... and all that can be made with a controler, which I loved!

Still have quite a bit to learn on how to use the full extent of the game, but for now, I'm pleased with what I've seen and all for a reasonable price!

Thanks for the work here, and keep up this great work devs!

3. pctomm

pctomm
    Expand Collapse

I've been playing rigs of rods for a while, and I really enjoy it. Despite it being rough around the edges, and 75% of the vehicles don't crash properly.

I only learned about BeamNG last night, and just fired it up for the first time. I didn't expect much, as right now at work I'm running it on a Lenovo X200 tablet, wiht integrated video etc. I'm surprised quite frankly that it even booted up.

However, it runs great, and feels SOLID. I just bought the alpha straight off as I liked Rigs of Rods so much. This sim is SO much better and smoother.

Well worth the extra $5 I chipped in, and great job devs. Productivity in the IT department is at an all time low.

4. MR_DUCT

MR_DUCT
    Expand Collapse

Amazing i love it

5. nukezbomz

nukezbomz
    Expand Collapse

After a week of messing around and giving it a good go it's time for some first impressions, my system is a modest Core i5 2500k (@ 4.2GHz), 8GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 260 (underclocked -200mhz due to overheating issues) New graphics card coming within a couple of weeks:

Car deformation/damage, goes without saying really. There's nothing better out there than this. I do feel the doors drop of a little too easily though, especially getting detached from the locks. It's also too easy to damage tyres/suspension/steering I think, although I've never bounced a car so abruptly.

Default maps - Nice mixture of maps to play around on from mucking around on a flat land to testing on some dirt roads. I do feel that a map simulating a built up area (like MitCity in RoR) and its obstacles would have been a better choice as Small Island and Dry Rock Island feel too similar to me.

Default cars - I like them, but I feel they're too restricted to a single era. I am aware there's more on the way though.

Performance - very good, far,far better than RoR. I have most things set on normal (mesh quality high), HDR off and I'm reaching a constant 40-60fps @ 1680x1050

Car physics - Mostly fun a nice general feel to them but needs improvement. I come from playing racing sims like rFactor (1&2), RACE07, Richard Burns Rally, Live For Speed, ProjectCARS and Forza, pretty much anything that's realistic and has 4 wheeled vehicles in it and have done since Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix games, so I feel my opinion is quite qualified here. Something doesn't feel right, especially with the lateral and high speed grip of the tyres - I know tyres are a nightmare to get right (see LFS's long awaited next patch), but I feel it's BeamNG.Drive's biggest flaw. I can't pinpoint what it is, although I saw somewhere (believe it was LFS Forum) that the tyre contact patch is in triangles rather than rectangles and feel this could have something to do with it - it seems to be a unique way of doing things anyway, there must be a reason why nobody else does it. At high speed everything feels quite floaty. To me handling wise BeamNG is more a semi-sim than a full simulator. That's not taking anything away, but IMO there's work to do still to make it a full simulator, which hopefully will be done as I am aware it's still in alpha. :)
    My rating of simulator 'feel' would go like this:
    rF2 > RBR > rF1 > RACE07 > LFS > PCARS > Forza > BeamNG > F1 games > DiRT games)

Maybe my physics gripe is down to the fact there's no force feedback yet which gives a detached feeling from the car (I use a Fanatec Forza CSR wheel). We shall see if my opinion changes once FFB is added.

6. Polekitty

Polekitty
    Expand Collapse

It looked so interesting!

7. deigima

deigima
    Expand Collapse

My first impression? its pretty cool but it definately needs polishing. low speed impacts are far too damaging at the moment, almost every aspect of the car needs a dampening effect added, the wheels wobble and shake about quite badly (dampening effect and stronger contraint would help)
    the damage to wheels is pretty weird, it takes a huge cut out of the wheel that is far from realistic (it look like pacman) and wheels get caught on things way too easy.

apart from nitpicks, overall its pretty impressive, im just really annoyed at not being able to use my g27. apparently there is a way to use it by going through some funky config shit, but the tutorials for setting that up are pretty rubbish. hence i cant really enjoy the game much being forced to use the awkward standard key assignments (who the heck uses arrow keys!?)

edit- i just rememebered, my computer has to run beamng on very low settings? ive got a 3.1ghz i5 3450 core, 8gb ram, and a brand new hd7870. my os runs off a dedicated SSD and i have dedicated 2TB hdd for recordings, and another 2tb HDD for files and programs. im very suprised to find my system struggling.

edit2-
    almost forgot about that. the suspension is a bit too weak at the moment.

#247 deigima, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  8. Jetliner

Jetliner
    Expand Collapse

My first impressions is that it's awesome, but the cars feel too strong. You can ram a tree at a pretty good pace, and the damage doesnt really reflect a massive impact. You have to be going practically full speed into an object to get realistic damage. These days a car door in the parking lot will dent you up, so I think the damage needs to be ramped up, big time.

9. ivankio

ivankio
    Expand Collapse

Small Island is gooooorgeous! My compliments to the chef! Poor Skyrim and Dear Esther will be forgotten. Just Panau remains as my favorite place on Earth.
    Not only the sublime art, I loved it's design and size. Narrow roads with forgiving margins. Some straightish roads to build some speed. Nicely open (can climb up again if I go off road). But maybe I like this design best because we are still sandbox without a flashback button. Maybe then I won't mind the unforgiving edges and fishy view obstructing vegetation of the greener island.

10. stefke1997

stefke1997
    Expand Collapse

Downloaded tgis game on pirate bay no money sorry :( (game is awsome!!!)

11. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

so you can buy it now to receive updates *hint* ;)

12. machine

machine
    Expand Collapse

First impression... hmm... Probably; I NEED A FUCKING CREDIT CARD!!! (while playing the demo)

13. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

There are a number of things you can do and I used to do before I got my own card:

Get one of those Visa gift cards. They work just like any other debit card. (Until you run out of money on it, that is)
    Give the cash to your parents and use their card (Try your grandparents if your mom and dad say no)

14. machine

machine
    Expand Collapse

I have no idea how to get visa gift car.
    I might ask my parents to buy it. (my grandparent is over 80 and she has alzheimer so no)
    Or I just get my own Visa card...

15. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, ask your parents first. If they say no, then you can buy those debit gift cards at pharmacies and stores. (Usually with the rest of the gift cards.

16. machine

machine
    Expand Collapse

Why to ask parents first if I get my own credit card... And I probably ask my parents to buy me the GTA V.

17. Guyver

Guyver
    Expand Collapse

really enjoying it so far. find the debug stuff interesting, specially the G forces stuff. also the slow motion stuff is awesome. you can see the deformation of the panels and even the way it wobbles due to the forces acting on and around it. cant wait for more cars and thing to crash them into to and jump over lol.

18. Drithz

Drithz
    Expand Collapse

i have just downloaded but it has just installed sevenzip?

19. DotEtc

DotEtc
    Expand Collapse

Hiya folks, firstly I want to say sorry for my grammatical mistakes 'cause English is my second language. I recently found out about this game only because of Youtuber: NerdCubed. (well actually I have seen few videos before and I just thought it is just a game engine) I tried the free version (because I am from poor family and I need to save my cash for car license and my first car).

The free version is really really fun. I love to crash that little car. I got a few crashes but what do you expect from a techdemo. The engine itself looks powerful and graphics are nice. I did not had much lag on my system (I5 2500K, 8gb ram, HD6850 x 2). I only had few issues with first crash after starting the game.

One minor question: Can I use/make mods for a TechDemo? I looked at cars that community makes and they look very nice. I would love to make few cars/maps myself. But I am completely new to 3D modelling, so it will be a bit hard for me to start doing it.

20. stefke1997

stefke1997
    Expand Collapse

No money bro im sorry i know that i would get updates but no money :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice