1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

First Impressions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LJFHutch, Aug 4, 2013.

1. AbdulAziz

AbdulAziz
    Expand Collapse

awesome

2. EvilSoul

EvilSoul
    Expand Collapse

The game awesome but needs a bit of optimization. My i7, 8GB ram, HD6770m laptop runs Battlefield 3 on 40 FPS and can't run this game with more than 20 FPS on lowest details :(

3. Buzzboxx

Buzzboxx
    Expand Collapse

Well, after purchasing the Alpha last week I had to wait till I was back in front of my regular computer so I could download and try...

Let me just say, so far, awesome work, love it.

You know as a kid I used to wrap my toy cars in aluminium foil and crash the molds into each other then eventually I got bored and crushed them with a big rock.:eek:

:DI`d like to thank the Team @BeanNG for giving me something to do on Saturday and Sunday, alternatively I`d like to give them a :mad:bloody good telling off for making me
    waste the entire weekend.:rolleyes:

Oo Look a crash!!
    FunTimes.jpg

4. brad684

brad684
    Expand Collapse

Wow this game looks great! Cant wait to play! thanks

5. TNOMCat

TNOMCat
    Expand Collapse

I have identical specs and i get 40fps with all settings on medium and postfx disabled. Make sure you use the dedi gpu with beamng if you have two.

6. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

I'm 23 and I want to do that right now.

Why havent I thought of that.... you could make a frame out of popsicle sticks, and an interior with cutout windows...

Ok, I'm completely distracted now and thinking about mini foil cars.

7. thepeca

thepeca
    Expand Collapse

Maybe its your gpu, becouse i get around 40fps with the same machine only with nvidia gpu. Also, doyou have a "U" (under-volted/clocked) processor?

8. Immortal Racer

Immortal Racer
    Expand Collapse

Being a vast physics and mathematics nerd, this is really fun to just watch your favorite contrivance cars just collide with the very ingenious physics engine.

32-nodither.gif
    "Physics is good doe!"

9. pickle330

pickle330
    Expand Collapse

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS GAME!!! Great engine and physics!!! I've been dreaming of a game like for many years!!! Great job BeamNG!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

10. Silver Shield

Silver Shield
    Expand Collapse

Well I found this game to be the best car game yet. I love everything about it! I can't wait to get the full version for more!
    The work the team has made on this is waaaaay too good to be awesome or excellent... but I look forward for more awesomeness!

11. Smeowkey

Smeowkey
    Expand Collapse

Best fifty bucks I have ever spent! I've been waiting a long time for something like this!! Much thanks to the creators and those who are putting their blood, sweat and tears into this product. I will certainly poke around these forums and mess around some more in-game before I come and swamp the forum with already-answered-questions and needless criticism! Again: first impressions are through the roof! Considering the game is still Alpha I cannot fathom the wondrous possibilities that this software will produce once finished and polished. Excellent.

12. Marmanvii

Marmanvii
    Expand Collapse

What can I say.. bought it the first day, and I can´t stop playing it D: now I can´t crash cars in other games because they feel like a rock haha

13. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

My local gas station sold these neat car models for like $15 when I was little. They were pretty realistic and fun. I would smash them together really hard until all the pieces fell off and it was dented and stuff. Fun.

14. LJFHutch

LJFHutch
    Expand Collapse
    Environment Artist
    BeamNG Team

Haha same here :D

15. funguy26

funguy26
    Expand Collapse

fun and awsome

16. ZRaupp

ZRaupp
    Expand Collapse

I have not played it yet but I have seen some videos, Keep up the amazing work !

17. golombo

golombo
    Expand Collapse

I found this game on Youtube. My reaction was: "WTF?!?! I MUST HAVE THIS!"
    I have low performance, but I do not regret.

18. hitman01

hitman01
    Expand Collapse

Seen the game on youtube as i have been looking for an offroading game. The last one i played that was any good was Cabella's 4x4 offroad. Quite amazing game for it's time, and similar to this. I know this game has no specific genre of driving, i just liked the way the damage and crawling looked, as well as the game having vehicle customization.

So, this is mostly from just playing around with the alpha download and what came with it:

I bought the game and was somewhat disappointed with actual vehicle handling. In detail, at a medium/high speed the vehicles feel "light". Using the chevy 4x4...There's absolutely no way to keep a vehicle between the lines in SECOND gear. Of course i don't know all the logistics and metrics of the game so i could maybe be going 140 km/h for all i know, in which case it would make sense. But it sure doesn't feel like i'm going at such a speed. As well it wouldn't make sense going that speed in such short distances with that vehicle ( for the most part, unless it's a 600+ hp animal ). I've had many of these trucks in real life, jacked up, stock, and lowered, and i can tell you they handle a lot better than in the game, it's like day and night. I mean, first gear and can't make a 90* turn without letting off the gas? Like you almost have to stop to make turns in the game, it feels like. Barely moving and i'm blowing turns ending up in the rhubarb upside down like some drunk idiot who forgot to turn. It just wants to keep going straight. As well, stopping is an issue. It really feels like more of a traction issue, or maybe momentum just wants me to keep going in a straight line but it's definitely off.

I then tried some vehicles made by players and, still, same problem, aside from an added problem... roll overs. I have a jacked up jeep with a small block chevy and i can tell you it's a tipsy vehicle but nothing like in the game. Especially when you're moving. It feels like it's conflicting between traction and no traction. Or, top heavy but wants to take flight and can't make turns or stop but the edge of the tires have grip once you're a little sideways. Only way i could explain it. You want to turn but the thing just keeps going straight and then you hook-up and next thing you know you're doing barrel rolls in the air while only in second gear. Vehicle pressure to the "ground" seems light. I'm not taking off with an airplane here... hmm.

Now i am definitely giving this a chance, and that's just a first impression. i honestly thought it be a little better in terms of vehicle handling at more than 20 km/h. Like, my jeep in real life FEELS like it drives better than the cars in-game. And i don't even have a sway bar, and need new shocks. That's a huge difference, not close. I add this because i see posts of people saying " it's close to being realistic"....Ya, sure....

I don't know much about the game yet still, of course, but i do realize that there are numbers associated to the traction and terrain traction you could get. I want to get involved with making my own map and vehicle someday, hopefully - lol. Maybe i could tune it to what i find realistic, because to put it simply, the default settings feel off. Tried a map on the forum and it was like ice, slightly sloped hill and off i go, can't stop.

Lots of positives though, amazing potential for sure. Love the damage, looks amazing. The terrain, boulders, etc, beautiful. Vehicle customization is really an important piece to any driving game as well, i think. The suspension geometric properties are really something i like as well. awesome.

Things i would like to see added:

-Some more realistic mud/dirt/water would be an amazing addition, especially the mud and it's physics. Getting stuck would be cool, what can i say, i love offroading. Good example of awesome mud ... the game "spin tires". Also has some cool features including diff un/locking.
    -Burnouts (right?) unless there's a way to do it and i don't know how.
    -More tire spinning when butted up to a static object... and maybe leads to tire hop to overcome an obstacle or hill climb. Sometimes i get "stuck" and it feels like i have a vehicle with no engine. Gutless, dead vehicle. or i reach a maximum climbing point and the vehicles seems to die and all the way down the hill i go, brakes don't work either ---> expressed my feel about that already. Yes i know standard works a bit better in terms of tire spin. Still terrible. I had a gmc tracker with a 4 banger that had like 70 horse and it could spin all tires on any offroad terrain. ok well like 2.5 tires lol.

As you can tell, i'm pretty thorough. I'm by no means bashing if anyone will have that feeling. Trying to give constructive criticism. I will continue messing around with this game for days to come. It's still better than most driving games out there and from what i can tell, is always being improved. Good job so far!

19. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Watch your speed. The cars have as much grip, if not more grip, than their real life counterparts. Driving in real life and driving in a game are very different sensations. If you actually drive at what would be a realistic posted speed limit (25 mph), you will have no problem taking turns and staying inside your lane. The cars can all pull 1 G or more, which is a lot of grip. Have you played other driving sims before?

20. hitman01

hitman01
    Expand Collapse

I do watch my speed, it's definitely challenging though. As well, i'm mostly offroading so i'm barely moving (willingly, as i explained, once you start sliding a little, there's no stopping it seems) and it seems like turning and stopping are still a huge problem. Maybe it just takes some getting used to.

I've played a trucking sim game a long while back, i don't even remember the name of it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice