1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

First Impressions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LJFHutch, Aug 4, 2013.

1. foulmonkey

foulmonkey
    Expand Collapse

This game is super fun

2. w4rlord117

w4rlord117
    Expand Collapse

Im loving the Alpha so far, best fifteen dollars spent in a long time, but there does need to be a way to re-map the controls.
    Pardon me if there is and im just dumb :)

3. moussa247

moussa247
    Expand Collapse

Gobsmacked, amazingly fun with lots of potential can't wait for AI and multiplayer!

4. dkutch

dkutch
    Expand Collapse

There is a way.

5. Redjevel

Redjevel
    Expand Collapse

Is there any mirror? to download it?
    cause its going really slow and would love to check this

6. Makoto H.

Makoto H.
    Expand Collapse

Once again I am amazed that my computer actually can run this piece of crap. I can't wait to buy the alpha. I had too much sub-20 FPS fun, I swear.

7. ioustuf

ioustuf
    Expand Collapse

This game is absolutely amazing! :D I'm so glad I decided to pay an extra $5 to support the developers, I can't wait until more community maps, vehicles, and mods come out... Also don't think I forgot about multiplayer ;D

8. Forum Mod

Forum Mod
    Expand Collapse

This game looks awesome so far! I can't wait for multiplayer. That'll be loads of fun.

9. foulmonkey

foulmonkey
    Expand Collapse

AI sounds like so much fun

10. Marcus915

Marcus915
    Expand Collapse

kinda laggy but way beyond my expectations :O

11. DaxTheHusky

DaxTheHusky
    Expand Collapse

My first impression is that I'm surprised.

Pros:

Very well modeled vehicles. Props to Gabe on that, he did a bang up job.
    Environments are fantastic.
    Deformation of vehicles is very well done. I've just spent the last three hours mucking up the Grand Marshall and the Covet.

Cons:
    Interface is kinda derpy.
    Controls are a little wonky and could use a remap ability.
    No AI - but that is in the works. Can't wait.
    Some options from the menu that I've tested don't work as I thought they would, but that is probably just me not reading things I should.

Overall?

Fantastic. Definitely worth the wait, and I'm very excited to be among the first to get it. Many props to the guys at BeamNG! Thank you all for your hard work and keep it up!

12. GamerN3x

GamerN3x
    Expand Collapse

First post.

First time fun was impressive to me, but not so lag for me (at least)

Also it worth to buy alpha than minecraft (because price)

13. Rocking_Star

Rocking_Star
    Expand Collapse

There is some other stuff around, try roaming a bit more (read my review for what might be there).

Yeah, in the Techdemo, the offroad tires have no textures (& therefore, turn up white).

First Impressions (of Techdemo, I'll be buying the Early Alpha Access within today [after my Dad gets up so I can ask him to use his cc] ):-

The Good:-
    Had some great deal of fun in my 2hrs of play-time, & I'm going to have more!
    The techdemo map is a great map for a techdemo. It's got everything to test the physics out, from differents jumps, to a (small) racetrack, to even a CAVE!! (FYI, LOVE the Cave, spent 30mins in it with the offroad D15. Also, Love the Pit of Death! )
    The game actually runs on my Potato Laptop! Have to put everything (except Mesh Q) on Lowest (& still get a lag spike sometimes), but IDC (I don't CARE) ! :D
    Everything else.

The Improvement needed:-
    Handling is realistic, but it's very tough getting used to it on the keyboard, spent 15mins fighting it & I still drive like shit (this may be user problem though, although I doubt it).
    The UI, although realistic & nice, could use some work. The various debug systems are great, but you might want to categorize (& separate) them into simple (something you use while just fooling around, like the FPS Debug page & Engine & Wheel stats page) & real (containing everything else, Node nos. page, Node materials page, etc.)
    Techdemo could maybe use ability to spawn 1 extra D15, just to use the AI & see vehicle-vs-vehicle collision system (this is just a opinion though).
    hmmm, what else.... Nope, nothing else. ;)

Overall:-
    I was definitely going to buy the Alpha before, & I'm still definitely going to buy it.
    Great improvement, Great physics, Great gameplay, Hundreds of hundreds of hours of fun Guaranteed, ... What else do you need from a game??? :)
    Great work & best demo I've played in my entire life (& I can guarantee it will be the best Alpha, Beta, & Released game that I'll ever play also!)

FYI, I'll post another review when I try the Alpha. (I would update this post, but let's be honest, it'll be tough seeing it)

EDIT: Wow this turned out long! :eek:

#93 Rocking_Star, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  14. Zipppy

Zipppy
    Expand Collapse

Working pretty well for me, It seems like my GTX 560 doesn't hold up very well though. Been getting lag with the effects the game uses.

I'm considering a Nvidia Kepler based GTX 6XX or 7XX to upgrade to.

One thing that bothers me is the steering smoothing.

15. RedHorizon

RedHorizon
    Expand Collapse

Here is my review, I'm using the Techdemo at the moment.

Pros:
    The vehicle (D15) handles and deforms like the average 1990's American half-ton pickup, and looks very nice.
    The controls take some getting used to, but once you have them down, they are very convenient.
    The overall flow of things seems to be very user-friendly, straightforward and simple.
    Clipping seems to be fixed, from what I could tell (needed another rig to really test that).
    Even on Medium settings it looks nice!

Cons:
    I had some issues with the menus, I'm not sure if it something on my end, or if it is an actual issue, but the "close" button was off my screen most times, and I couldn't adjust them.
    Grabbing is gone?! Again, could be an issue on my end, if not though, woe be to he who rolls his Covet or high centers his D15.
    Constant wheel-chirping got irritating, I could have turned the volume down or simply stopped drifting all the time, but coming from a noob's point of view.
    Slow-mo kicked in too late.
    Parking brake is weird, it only came off after hitting "P" several times and gunning the throttle.

Overall, sweet project! Give me a week or so and you'll have another happy customer (monetary issues and diesel pickup, sorry, I'll be sure to give an extra $5 if possible). Thanks guys!

16. jackeo21

jackeo21
    Expand Collapse

17. John95

John95
    Expand Collapse

The game is pure genius. Super realistic driving, crashes, and the ease of use in Torque 3D are great! The only problems I have with the game is the lack of a vehicle editor, creator, and the super high ram usage from the vehicle model.

18. gimmic

gimmic
    Expand Collapse

Good alpha release. Downloaded quickly, installed effortlessly, and ran out-of-the-box.

I would suggest adding a quick reload option in the UI so once you get yourself hung up it's easier to reload the existing map or re-center yourself on default start.

The Camera UI really needs work, and obviously in-game rebinding of keys. It really feels like the control scheme expects a controller.

19. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

You can respawn in place with CTRL + R or by opening the CTRL + W parts config and hitting "Done" :)

We realize the control mapping is not very user friendly at the moment - working on it :)

20. ThingThing62

ThingThing62
    Expand Collapse

First impressions.... ITS AMAZING.

Wait, I havent even played it yet. I cant possibly be the only one that found out it was released and bought it withought even thinking twice or even reading any of the newest threads right?

I will add actual impressions after it finishes downloading. Was kinda hyped up about the release!

#100 ThingThing62, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice