1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Flaws with ai judgment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PeakAir, Nov 26, 2020.

1. PeakAir

PeakAir
    Expand Collapse

A bit of back story:

A little while ago I made a map with a tight racetrack on it that I used to race ai on. I would turn the risk factor up to make the ai competitive. The thing is the there was one corner that the ai always overshoot despite making the rest of the corners on the track.

It is a nasty corner quickly tightens up on the exit. The corner is also quite bumpy. With a bit of experimenting, I found that ai was not just miss judging how much speed it can exit the corner but driving over the target speed set by the ai meaning it under braked. This is unusual because there are other large braking zones that the ai is fine with.

The theory is that because the corner tightens at the end part of the braking zone is around a corner and the ai think that it can brake around the corner the same amount as in a straight line. As I said earlier the problem corner was very bumpy, so I made an analog in grid map.

The projected speed is the blue line, the actual speed is yellow, and the red line is the projected driving line. These are some of the screenshots I took.

The first screenshot shows that as the car is braking straight the projected speed and the actual speed pretty much matches. The second one shows that as the ai starts to turn the actual speed becomes significantly larger than the projected speed.

This is another example of the ai miss-braking around the corner.

This is something else I noticed. When the ai detours from the projected line it starts it brake and turn more which compounds the problem.

Attached Files:

• screenshot_2020-11-26_19-47-39.png
    • screenshot_2020-11-26_20-40-27.png
    • screenshot_2020-11-26_20-40-42.png
    • screenshot_2020-11-26_20-45-46.png
    • screenshot_2020-11-26_21-09-56.png
    • Like Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice