Flickering objects (Z-Fighting)

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Nadeox1, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

(imported from here)

The objects in my map starts to flicker with the terrain when the camera moves. Is there a way to reduce/ger rid of this?

#1 Nadeox1, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  2. SkritCraft

SkritCraft
    Expand Collapse

Re: Flickering objects

You need to move the ramps a little bit up or down ;)

3. metalmuncher

metalmuncher
    Expand Collapse

Looks like z-fighting. Best way to fix that is to move the objects further apart, failing that decease the farz and increase the nearz, although not too high with the nearz as you will loose the roof and doors of your car in firstperson. :|

4. LJFHutch

LJFHutch
    Expand Collapse
    Environment Artist
    BeamNG Team

Always try to keep things as close to the 0,0,0 point as you can. If you haven't done so already I suggest you move your terrain block so it sits in the middle of the world (if you set it to 0,0,0 then only one of the corners will actually be at 0,0,0).

It's an issue with T3d at the moment; the further from the origin point you go the worse the z-fighting gets.

5. StolleJay

StolleJay
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for Move up this Topic but i have ne same problem with the Normal Roads.
    I create a Road with the "Road Editor" not the Road Mesh Editor and when i Drive the Road Start Flicker very Hard.

Is there any Solution?

My Objects Flicker too and this are not on 0,0,0 with the Terrain.

6. StolleJay

StolleJay
    Expand Collapse

7. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

You will get that when the next update comes out.

Oh, since I haven't replied to the original post: even making everything at 0 coordinates will get a bit of flickering. Looks like it's a thing with T3D itself. While T3D has some serious problems with Zfighting, why other engine like Outerra doesn't (And yet having a great distance view).

Oh, I found this on their blog: http://outerra.blogspot.it/2012/11/maximizing-depth-buffer-range-and.html
    Would it be possible for the developers to edit the engine so deeply that you could edit stuff like that? Or it's something we will have to "deal with"?

8. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

One way that I fixed this before, and if you can deal with a little "wheel through the road" (about 1-2 inches if you have lots of overlapping roads), by setting the Z coords to something with a + or - offset of about 0.005, or something smaller, but I did this a while ago, so I can't remember exactly.

9. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Yeah, but that's just a workaround that works at a certain distance. I was asking if it was possible or not to find a solution or improve it somehow.
    I don't know how far you can customize T3D engine.

10. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

Well you have same problem with my modular mesh roads,
    if you want them close to the ground you will get that flickering, i guess that will become a real reason to increase the slope at the edge. :(
    It gets really annoying if you have like 200 street parts and all flicker like crazy, nearly needs a epilepsy warning.^^
    Would love to see that adjusted a little in case devs are able and willed to do so.

11. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

Super Hexagon has prepared me for epileptic moments, since that game be crazy sometimes. Also, I only used my method for roads, so yeah, it would be a problem sort of for ramps.

Now, what a noob would say:
    PLZ DEV FICKS THE FICKERING NAOW!!1!11 CARZ IS STOOPID FIX FLICKR FURST.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice