1. Thread posting restricted: Only the BeamNG team members can post new threads in this sub-forum in order to prevent spam. Posting is available on unlocked threads.

Flowgraph

Discussion in 'Microblogs' started by tdev, Jun 26, 2019.

1. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

It is fixed, thanks for the quick response!

2. LucasBE

LucasBE
    Expand Collapse

[Sorry for the bump]

Is it possible to create a cutscene with the Flowgraph editor?

Basically I'd like to create a cutscene that would play before a scenario to give it some context. But is the flowgraph editor capable to do that?
    I imagine it would need to fetch a video in the mod files and then play it
    (My coding experience is very limited, just saying)

3. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

I'll start by saying that I don't believe the program supports playing videos. I recall seeing a video years ago of someone using an MP4, complete with sound, as a texture (on a skin, no less—it was a goofy video), but I don't know of a way to play it on the UI, or to control the video's stop/start. Let alone whether this trick still works.

That leaves you with two options: use a comic, or use a custom camera path.

Comics are the more officially-sanctioned option, but there are some big caveats. They're a pain to make, built with either the good-but-pricey program Spine, or built by manually editing the code and using trial-and-error to adjust. Also, because they're a campaign feature, they can only be added to scenarios that are part of a campaign. I haven't really played around with the flowgraph editor, but from rooting around in the lua files, I haven't found a way to control comics via flowgraph. And last but not least, they are currently somewhat broken: they're stuck in some form of ugly wireframe debug mode, and background noises still come through, so the rumble of the player car's engine and the surrounding environment can still be heard even if you have custom sound, music, or dialogue playing with the comic.

The custom camera path is the less nuanced option. You could use it to move around the game world prior to the scenario start (à la Senseless Destruction), displaying drawings/photos/renders of your characters, voice bubbles with dialogue, and other pertinent information. You still might have the scenario startup UI over anything you create, and I can't promise that the camera path won't automatically loop, so this isn't the best option. But it'll be easier to rig up than rebuilding a Spine comic, and I think you can use it without a campaign. It can also be used alongside the above option(s), as you can move the camera to a quiet place to keep the game audio from interfering with your comic, or move the camera to a spot where you're playing a video file (again, supposing that works).

#43 Occam's Razer, Mar 31, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Richer.J

Richer.J
    Expand Collapse

Hello, I've been trying to figure out a way to make custom lua nodes, but I can't find any documentation on the subject. I would need this, because it seems that there is no "OR" node which is sort of required for what I want to do (view screenshot 1 & 2 below).

Also, I'd really like to create custom macros so I can make utils like time formatting, however, when I create a new subgraph, there is no button in the properties window (view screenshot 3 below).

Edit: I found the lua files for the nodes and I created the OR node by copying the XOR code and changing `~=` by `or`.

Attached Files:

• flowgraph_trigger.jpeg
    • flowgraph_or.jpg
    • beam_subgraph.png
    #44 Richer.J, Dec 10, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice