1. Intel iGPU (6xx series) crashes
    Fixed drivers available!
    Instructions here

Dismiss Notice

[For Controllers] Smooth Steering Input

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by mrwallace888, Jun 22, 2020.

1. mrwallace888

mrwallace888
    Expand Collapse

Can we smooth out the joystick steering input a bit, so it looks/feels more natural when turning? The steering wheel for example will kinda "jank" to whatever angle as I slowly move the stick further to the left or the right, and I was wondering if it was possible to slow down the steering speed and also smooth it out some to give it some better feeling.
    --- Post updated ---
    Same with camera movement, more specifically with the driver camera. It'd be nice to get that smoothed out as well and have the camera move a little slower.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. RunLlamaRun

RunLlamaRun
    Expand Collapse

you can change the axis from the settings. Maybe try adding a curve for the axis

3. mrwallace888

mrwallace888
    Expand Collapse

I'm not talking about the linearity. Just smoother steering overall.

4. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Which joystick are you using? You can add smoother filtering by choosing a 'gamepad' or a 'keyboard' filtering type: https://wiki.beamng.com/Steering_wheel_setup#BeamNG.drive:_Steering_binding

5. Mullayho

Mullayho
    Expand Collapse

If you are having problems with perfomance variants only, it could be that the stering is too responsive because you are using a quick ratio steering rack. Check what part your car is equiped with in the front suspension bit of the part selection tool.

6. mrwallace888

mrwallace888
    Expand Collapse

I can use a filter sure but while it slows down my steering then half the time I can't turn enough to correct, like if I oversteer, no matter how I tweak it. But why isn't there a smart filter or something, that automatically stops turning once you start to understeer and maybe correct if you oversteer?

7. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

It's not there because it's not easy to implement in our physics engine. We've gone through several attempts at developing a steering assistant like that, but so far no approach has been able to withstand the huge variety of situations that BeamNG.drive users subject the cars (and the non-cars too) to on a daily basis.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mrwallace888

mrwallace888
    Expand Collapse

I'd look into it some more but I think it'd be better if you guys first figured out the game's tire model thing. If we can achieve that 100-percent, which I'm sure can happen, it'll just take time, it might be easier then to implement, because the physics will be a bit more understandable. :p

Then again I'm no programmer so I'm probably wrong.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice