Forum Ranks

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by EruptionTyphlosion, Apr 11, 2017.

?

Do you want ranks?

Poll closed Apr 13, 2017.
  1. YES!

45.6%
  2. NO...

54.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Modem

Modem
    Expand Collapse

they can already take away permissions from the users. no need to put a billboard on them that says "this guy is a dick"

2. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Limitations on users is always a bad thing, it gives people higher up in the ranks more power to act elitist over them. This happened on the old RoR forums and it wasn't a good thing. Besides temporary bans are there to do just that.

Moderators should be members of the BeamNG team, no other way. We had members of the community picked as moderators before an all it caused was more problems and arguments. This place is always quiet, I haven't seen a huge escalation in ages, so I can't really say I see your point on that, what does it matter if a thread is 4 pages instead of 2 when its deleted.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. NoxiousFumes

NoxiousFumes
    Expand Collapse

We need more mods in North American area, who are online during normal Eastern Time zone hours. Most of the developer/moderators are from Europe. There are many people here from North American, but not many moderators from North America, and many people from Europe, and most of the moderators are from Europe.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. CaffeinatedPixels

CaffeinatedPixels
    Expand Collapse

When your game attracts 11-year old with social disorders, outbursts are bound to happen. Report it and move on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I didn't mean it like that. The devs wouldn't do that. What I'm mostly referring to are the ones that makes their account and immediately starts throwing turds at the wall, which does happen here sometimes.

Well, if any new moderators abused their power, they could always be removed from that position.

With the way I see it, I don't think new moderators would be picked very often. I think that new moderators should be chosen if they meet up with the qualifications required to be one, if they are trustworthy enough, and if they are able to enforce the rules without arguing with other mods, users, or both.

I disagree with it being quiet. It has its quiet moments, but when things hit the fan, it gets very loud.

A lot of users would probably more happier if ugly threads were removed before they got super annoying. I'd be happier if let's say a troll thread got removed with only 2 pages instead of 4, that means that it won't leave as much of an impact as some of leosky's threads like the question about girls one did, and the fact that there was someone there when Nadeox1 and Synsol couldn't be.

Another thing, with more moderators, this would mean that the ones that multitask by working on the game and moderating at the same time could have more focus on working on the game. Synsol did say that stupid behavior draws their attention away from their work of developing the game.

Exactly. This I think should be another thing if new moderators are considered. We have enough in Europe, we need more in areas like Canada and the United States.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Modem

Modem
    Expand Collapse

its not like we have any devs/moderators from canada *COUGH* @Goosah *COUGH*

7. opkraut

opkraut
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Everyone seems to think it is so bad here... but I havn't seen one person screaming "CAN HAS LIGHT BARZ NAOW!!!!1!!!" yet (although now they might) so I consider that a vast improvement. I am sure VeyronEB knows what I am talking about.

As stated before though, I have been around since before the RoR forums were even a thing and it was just at blogspot.com... still sorta is if you want to visit it. I have seen the beginning and the end... the rise and the fall... by the time BeamNG's forums started those rose tinted glasses were all but stomped out of existence. There was no, "back then it was better" except when tdev was handing out cookies day one... that was pretty amusing... but other then that... this IS the best time we have had... enjoy it while it lasts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Hi guys, thanks for your effort on contributing to this subject and your time invested into this. However, the past 10 years of forum moderation has lead us to conclusions on how to do things and how not. Artificial ranks do not help. Also, there are kind of ranks already. I.e. https://www.beamng.com/members/tdev.1/ (Positive ratings received: 7,239)

EDIT: no more moderators. Report the posts and move on. If you don't report posts and ignore them / post meme's you are part of the problem.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Like Like x 4
  10. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

I understand your call on the forum ranks, and as I promised, I'm standing down and respecting your opinion. But I'd like to see the reason behind the fact that you don't want moderators. I'm just wondering where you're coming from on that.

11. Fast-Subaru71

Fast-Subaru71
    Expand Collapse

Rigs of Rods forums I guess.

12. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

Explain. I'm not familiar with the ROR forums.

13. Fast-Subaru71

Fast-Subaru71
    Expand Collapse

I am not 100% sure, but since tdev used to moderate the RoR forums, he may already have tried to have community moderation there (I used to be on the RoR forums, but I can't recall if that was the case or not).

14. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

Ok, then it makes sense why he doesn't want community mods, as that community imploded.

15. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

If you read my big reply its as I said, BeamNG had community moderators before and it didn't work out well. RoR was another example of it going quite badly.

16. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

EDIT: Nothing to see here.

#116 MisterKenneth, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  17. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

I'm standing down on RANKS. There are still improvements I support, but tdev shot down ranks, so we'll need to try something else.

18. Modem

Modem
    Expand Collapse

shut up, tdev already denied this idea. i may have supported this at first, but with everyones ideas presented, i have changed my mind.

its not gonna happen, just leave it as is.

19. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Hopefully there will be something else. I really thought this idea would've worked.

Okay fine.

20. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

Any ideas?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice