1. This section is for official content brought to you by BeamNG. Please keep the discussion civil and posts constructive to avoid spam. Posts disregarding these guidelines may be removed without any notice.
    Dismiss Notice

FPU Wydra

Discussion in 'Official Content' started by ferrettank, Dec 13, 2022.

1. ferrettank

ferrettank
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

A unique one among the lineup, has no suspension but comes with skid steering, making it a joy to drive! :rolleyes:

This adorable all terrain vehicle is more of a kayak disguised as a car. And after all, a kayak is like a racecar: they’re the same when spelled backwards! It enters the lineup as the first vehicle to use the new centrifugal clutch, skid steering, and to top that off – it’s our first amphibious vehicle.

Powered by an 800cc 3-cylinder turbo-chargeable engine and housed in a fiberglass body, this little sidekick can comfortably cruise you through tight and swampy terrain with its 8 wheels and unrelenting character.

It’s also available as a 4x4 variant, and the following is the story of how this vehicle came to be from the perspective of BeamNG lore. The 8x8 Wydra prototype was first constructed by a passionate team of imaginative engineers, and was eventually converted into a rugged 4x4 configuration optimized for traversing challenging, waterlogged environments. While the vehicle was a huge hit when it was first introduced to the market, several injuries ensued when people rolled over the car owing to its high center of gravity, — nearly bankrupting the creators in the process.

More info here:
    http://beamng.com/game/news/blog/beamng-drive-v0-27/#new-vehicle-fpu-wydra

• Like Like x 25
  2. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Nice glorified kayak you got there
    also for people asking: FPU stands for: Fabryka Pojazdów Użytkowych

#2 Ai'Torror, Dec 13, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 25
  3. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

First off: OMG yes, it's so coot! Look at the little boi!

Second, is this thing Canadian? Because it looks a lot like an Argo. However, Mudd-Ox makes similar vehicles to the Argo 8x8s, and they're based out of Indiana. I'm asking because I thought it'd be real cool to have the first amphibious vehicle be Canadian - after all, Argo were some of the first builders of vehicles like this.

EDIT: Someone on the Discord said this vehicle was Polish, and Wydra is a Polish word meaning otter, so I wouldn't be surprised if it actually is Polish. New nation is still new nation - and one which typically doesn't get represented that often in driving games.

EDIT 2: Yep, this thing's Polish.

#3 DriftinCovet1987, Dec 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Tuner from America

Tuner from America
    Expand Collapse

This might be my most favorite vehicle in the game now, allows you to explore maps without using having to stick to land!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. robert357

robert357
    Expand Collapse

Yes it's Polish vehicle. If someone wonder what Fabryka Pojazdów Użytkowych means - Commercial (or Utility) Vehicles Factory.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  6. bussin.buses

bussin.buses
    Expand Collapse

The Sherp thing is so fun!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. FenderBenderTV

FenderBenderTV
    Expand Collapse

I can't wait to put a pigeon on top of this thing and make it the worlds first swimming pigeon!

• Like Like x 4
  8. coolcarguy#1

coolcarguy#1
    Expand Collapse

This thing is awesome!
    --- Post updated ---
    I didn't think It would come out in this update.

9. I<3ChickenWings&V8

I<3ChickenWings&V8
    Expand Collapse

The steering is not really working.
    Idk if thats intentional but you need to rev it really high in then still the clutch easily overheats while trying to turn

• Like Like x 2
  10. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

Can't wait to tow some busted Russian meshslap war machines out of the mud with this and sell them for scrap. Is an entire Polish car planned too?

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lukas64 the dog

Lukas64 the dog
    Expand Collapse

12. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

After taking this thing for a spin around WCA, I gotta say I really like this little water spider even more now. It feels - to put it lightly - fantastic to zip around the city in. I can dart through all sorts of little areas, pull the maddest donuts, and climb over just about anything in it - especially in the 4x4 variant.

What I've found works with the Wydra on land is yanking the steering to one side at full throttle to get the tires to skid for however long you want it to steer. So, for gradual turns, you want to do very brief and small yanks from one "point" to another. For sharp turns, throwing the steering hard to one side and then letting go as soon as you're straight seems to work out well.

On water, though, yanking the steering hard in one direction and then keeping the wheel speed between 8-10 mph (13-16 km/h) is pretty much the only way I've been able to get the 8x8s to turn. The 4x4s turn quite well at full throttle on just about anywhere.

If you find any other way to get the Wydra to turn that works well, please do let me know.

#12 DriftinCovet1987, Dec 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  13. 88fiero

88fiero
    Expand Collapse

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. JowoHD

JowoHD
    Expand Collapse

actually i think it was an otter emoji, as wydra means otter in polish

• Agree Agree x 8
  15. 88fiero

88fiero
    Expand Collapse

OH, COOL. thanks

16. 2020CorollaXSE__

2020CorollaXSE__
    Expand Collapse

But is this suppose to be another FPU Off Roader? upload_2022-12-13_16-0-57.png

17. jackmo2207

jackmo2207
    Expand Collapse

No, it's a real buggy edited into concept art

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. toyota.potato

toyota.potato
    Expand Collapse

Did anybody else think of the sherp ATV when they saw the 4-wheeled Wydra?

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Jackets64

Jackets64
    Expand Collapse

Just about everybody, I’m sure. I can almost guarantee the SHERP was a huge influence for those tires.

#19 Jackets64, Dec 14, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 9
  20. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

screenshot_2022-12-13_14-08-28.png

This thing is certainly a handful to control in its more potent trims! I love everything about it ... I'm a little sad that I'm not seeing the maple leaf in the vehicle selector, but the tires are perfect, the handling is spot-on (It's going to take practice to master this thing), and even the skins are perfect. I'll admit that I'm a little disappointed to not see 'Canada' in the vehicle selector, but I'll concede this one to the Polish. (Who knows? Maybe I'll get my Bricklin SV-1-type car someday.)

I'm looking forward to seeing this thing flourish in BeamNG now that it's become official. I wonder if we'll get a 6x6 variant, trailers, and a soft top at some point.

screenshot_2022-12-13_16-53-39.png

Seriously, this thing's size and hill-climbing capability opens up terrain on maps that was previously entirely inaccessible.

screenshot_2022-12-13_17-00-25.png

I have noticed that it seems to be having some trouble propelling and controlling itself in the water. Comparing it to footage of the real thing, it doesn't travel at a reasonable speed, or want to turn at all. I wonder if the problem is simply that it's sitting too high in the water without the weight of an operator (If that's the case, it may need sandbags or a toolbox like the Pigeon/Wigeon), or if the jbeam of the tires needs to be adjusted.

screenshot_2022-12-13_22-04-38.png

I do like the 'Rescue' configuration, but it just doesn't feel enough like a rescue vehicle yet. I'd recommend re-naming this to something like the 'Enclosed', and waiting for a Fire Dept. / Search & Rescue skin, emergency lights, and a stretcher before reintroducing the 'Rescue'.

But all in all? I'm thrilled that the Wydra has made it in-game. This is hands-down my favourite new vehicle in this update.

• Like Like x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice