1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Game just stopped working...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by DRP, Apr 17, 2019.

1. DRP

DRP
    Expand Collapse

I've had the game since 2016 and aside from a few bugs and crashes, the game has always worked. I've uninstalled and reinstalled a few times for various reasons, migrated drives, verified cache and regardless, the game has always worked. Until 3 days ago. I had a smaller 500gb drive that I have had it on for awhile (migrated from a larger drive) and decided to remove that drive. Rather than uninstall the game, I moved onto a different drive (through steam, to a drive which it was on before) and the game just stopped working from that moment. I click on it and steam says its running for about 2 secs and then says synching and thats it. I tried running it through the directory. Does nothing on x86 & x64. Tried reinstalling it about 5 times. No different. Migrated it to two other drives on my computer. Nothing. Tried editing the startup.ini. Nothing. Deleted mods. Nothing. Deleted ANY remnant I could find of the game after uninstalling it and started completely fresh and still, I don't even get the launcher. I migrated 11 other games from the same drive, to the same drive and they all work flawlessly. I have a pretty sweet rig that far exceeds the recommended config, so that pretty much rules out hardware. I don't know what to do from here on and It's KILLING me. This is by far my favorite game and I can't play! Please help!

2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

What was the path of the old location?
    And what's the new one?
    (include drive letter)

Did you ever move your userfolder from the classic 'Documents/BeamNG.drive' to something else?
    If yes, specify the full path.

Also give a Support ID please:
    https://supportid.beamng.com

3. DRP

DRP
    Expand Collapse

Hey sorry bout the delay, was working all day.

So first off, cannot get you that support id. I've clicked the link multiple times and beam doesn't react. Is there any other way I can get it?

The path of the old location was E:\Programs\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\BeamNG.drive
    The path of the new location is D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\BeamNG.drive

The path I moved to user folder to was E:\Programs\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\BeamNG.drive\Derek
    I moved it there awhile ago due to drive size constraints because of mods.
    --- Post updated ---
    Update: The only file I get any response from is banana-bench which gives me an error because its looking for the original path on E: which no longer exists. Could that be the same for the game?

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

That's your issue probably.
    Did you update your userfolder location?
    Because else it may still be pointing to that E:\ path, which may not exists anymore.

You cannot use the launcher because of that.
    You have to manually edit the 'startup.ini' file (with any text editor). The file is inside the game's directory.

5. thomatoes50

thomatoes50
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

startup.ini have a lower priority than the registry key (launcher)

Use the Registry Editor and go to this key
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BeamNG
    You can delete or edit userpath_override to point to the correct drive

6. DRP

DRP
    Expand Collapse

Awesome!!! I tried editing the startup.ini and that did nothing so I just deleted the registry key and voilĂ ! Works like a charm. You guys rock! Thank you!

7. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Great to hear you could solve this :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice