1. This section is for official content brought to you by BeamNG. Please keep the discussion civil and posts constructive to avoid spam. Posts disregarding these guidelines may be removed without any notice.
    Dismiss Notice

Gavril Barstow

Discussion in 'Official Content' started by gabester, Nov 21, 2012.

1. nortenho

nortenho
    Expand Collapse

upload_2021-9-4_2-38-10.png
    upload_2021-9-4_2-38-39.png
    no mods

2. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

I don't have anything like this, I only have my WIP mod right now that adds a broken version with missing right headlight
    asdasddsa.png

3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Here is no such grille things either, just these normal ones:
    upload_2021-9-4_10-35-9.png

userdata...\vehicles\barstow has probably something is no mods should be installed, that usually is what makes surprises.

4. Sp0rkly

Sp0rkly
    Expand Collapse

It'd be really nice to see an improve in the gas i6 engines. They literally have no configs and a lot to offer (as it's used in the D-Series too for example). It could be the opening of the mix between muscle and turbo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jackets64

Jackets64
    Expand Collapse

I figure that, while a turbo is possible, it likely won't be included in the base game as the inline sixes are designed to be the bottom of the barrel motors. It wouldn't be realistic for the devs to include it as a stock configuration with a turbo, though they might add a custom configuration with a setup like that.

6. BeezNeez

BeezNeez
    Expand Collapse

mopar slant-6
    --- Post updated ---
    the car also needs a higher resolution dash like that of the remastered cars

7. robben896

robben896
    Expand Collapse

And maybe a sedan version not just the coupe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. McBeamer94

McBeamer94
    Expand Collapse

That's exactly what I think, but in the form of an all new, modern generation of the Inline-6. After all, an Inline-6 larger than that of the modern ETKs (which is a 3-liter) is missing from the game and it could be available in both NA and Turbocharged versions.

9. Tuner from America

Tuner from America
    Expand Collapse

While I don't think the Inline 6 should get a Turbocharger or any form of forced induction, it should definitely get some factory performance parts. As Pontiac did with their Over Head Cam (OHC) Inline 6 engines in the late 60s, with some variants of a 250 cubic inch I6 making 230bhp thanks to a hotter camshaft and manual transmission. The somewhat lesser 230 cubic inch version even got some performance parts as well

This is from a Wikipedia article on Pontiac Straight 6 engines - "A W53 Sprint version for the Firebird produced up to 215 hp (160 kW)... An optional high-performance Sprint version featured high-compression pistons, hotter cam, dual valve springs, split/dual exhaust manifold, stronger coil, and the then new Rochester Qaudrajet carburetor. rated at 207 hp (154 kW). Power was increased to 215 hp (160 kW; 218 PS) in 1967".

I think this would be a clever way to make a sporty but economical trim for the Barstow, plus a Inline 6 is going to be lighter than a V8 so it'd be nice in a windy road course or something similar.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

I just want a single turbo Ibishu i6 swap and a modern Gavril V8 swap :(

11. McBeamer94

McBeamer94
    Expand Collapse

I noticed that the 'Snake' variants of the Barstow (the Lancehead, the Kingsnake and the Nightsnake) don't feature their own special badging, like the RoadSport and TrackSport versions do. They could share the same snake badge but with colour variations and the respective word written on the lower side of the snake badge: golden snake for the Lancehead - since the skin of this pit viper has this colour - with the 'Lancehead' word, silver snake for the Kingsnake with the 'Kingsnake' word and black snake for the Nightsnake with the 'Nightsnake' word. Plus, for driving the point home even better, the Lancehead could have its own special colour, like the Lancehead Gold, and the Nightsnake can continue being painted in dark colours (the Midnight Blue colour combined with the black stripes/details/wheels looks ace for that variant, it gives it that amazing stealthy look).

I also agree with all of you saying that the 232CUI Inline-6 needs its own performance parts because not everyone wants V8s!

12. combatwombat96

combatwombat96
    Expand Collapse

That little six with a four on the floor makes a rather well balanced, easy-to-live-with, neutral handling grand touring car (also works with the Bluebuck surprisingly well), provided of course only if one were to use super heavy duty suspension. For some reason its seem that the standard suspension is softer than the Bluebucks standard stuff, the optionable heavy duty springs and shocks available could barely be called that; heavy duty. That reason and the nicely trimmed interior with a very premium dashboard and center console and good amount of sound deadening material make me think the Barstow is actually is not just a pony car but more of an early personal luxury car, akin to what the Mercury Cougar was in its early days

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. McBeamer94

McBeamer94
    Expand Collapse

True, the Barstow with the 232CUI Inline-6 is a perfectly adequate car for every day and, provided that you put the lowest of the available rear final drives (not that lethargic 2.83 it comes with), it can get pretty sprightly too. And if you combine that lowest final drive to the Sport 5-Speed Manual Transmission (plus some good suspension components), then you've got a car with an extra gear suitable for both cruising and performance uses.
    I believe the Heavy Duty Springs, Shocks and Sway Bars are there for coping with the weight of the two largest V8s (which are the 353 and the 423) and with the torque these engines have.
    The Barstow setup seems a bit softer because of the Leaf Springs at the rear end, they always have that tendency for wafting. The Bluebuck on the other hand has a 3-link solid rear axle with separate springs and shocks and either a Panhard bar or a Y-Bar, so it feels a bit tauter and a bit more controllable. When the Barstow is equipped with the 4-link solid rear axle (without a Heavy-Duty shock option), it feels equally as taut if not a bit tauter than the Bluebuck and this can certainly be beneficial to the 232, which could also get a RoadSport version combining all the aforementioned components plus some components for making the 232CUI more powerful!

Also, some luxury versions of the Barstow could be great, being available alongside the usual RoadSport, TrackSport and 'Snake' performance variants. Maybe the 'Marshal' name could be used for these?
    Plus a convertible body would really class the Barstow up (as would do to the Bluebuck too - plus, the Bluebuck is too large to not have a Station Wagon available, after all it was made in an era where Wagons were extremely popular)!

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Matt_890s

Matt_890s
    Expand Collapse

The new Coyote mod could be what you’re looking for, for the modern V8 part of your sentence.

15. combatwombat96

combatwombat96
    Expand Collapse

While your not wrong, i was saying that the heavy duty stuff seems way too soft for there intended purpose, and not just the rear, the front suffers from extreme nose dive and lifting even with the heavy duty components (same with the rear). And the sway bar doesn't really seem to help with body roll all that much. It could however be geometry of suspension but that it doesn't really seem so what with how it all behaves. I dont think it would need any extras in the interior to claim it as a personal luxury pony car, really i think it could benefit from an optionable basic interior, ie less sound deadening, no console, a simpler instrument cluster (less gauges!) and maybe a two spoke wheel for lesser Barstow's and for the upmarket ones the current interior we have now. Now this is a long shot but would anyone think that quarter vents would look out of place on this car ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. McBeamer94

McBeamer94
    Expand Collapse

True, the interior as is looks fairly luxurious for the purpose of the Barstow and doesn't really need changes (apart from some important texture updates). A less luxurious interior can fit to the base versions but as for the RoadSport/TrackSport/'Snake' ones, the same wooden fillets we see in the interior could very well be made of brushed aluminum (like we see in the Bluebuck), for a more sporting interior look. The existing wooden versions of these fillets can decorate the 'Marshal' luxury versions while the base 232, 291, 353 and 423 versions could have these fillets either colour matched to the exterior body or covered in vinyl and they could also have the aluminum pedals and wooden steering wheel removed (and placed in the sports and 'Marshal' versions instead) to be replaced by some more basic and less fancy units, also covered in vinyl, plus the simpler gauge package you said.
    But all of the fillet versions can have their outlines chromed (as we can see them now).

It's true, the Heavy-Duty components of the Barstow aren't that highly developed, which is, after all, characteristic of its time.

As for quarter vents, I think they would fit the design of the car because the lines of the body kinda remind me of a mix between the '65 Plymouth Barracuda (the outline anyways, because the rear windshield is completely different on the Barracuda) and the '67 Maserati Ghibli (which had some discreet quarter vents and also, the shape of the side windows area seems to have the same outline). So yeah, as long as they're discreet, they can look nice on the Barstow!

#356 McBeamer94, Apr 1, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  17. combatwombat96

combatwombat96
    Expand Collapse

Considering the Bluebucks heavy duty suspension feels stiffer whilst the the car is what ever heavier and larger and older it is is saying something, worse still its the same company. but anyway i digress, there is always the infinitely tuneable race suspension

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. McBeamer94

McBeamer94
    Expand Collapse

It seems a bit weird now that I think of it! Let's wait for the remastering of the Barstow to see if any readjustments are gonna be done! :)

19. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

Hmm... Barstow remastering. I hadn't really thought about it until this moment, but what I'd really like out of that is an official notchback body as an option.

(Oh! And more choices of hood exhaust stacks!)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. McBeamer94

McBeamer94
    Expand Collapse

As for the subject of the Inline-6 power of the classic Gavrils (not only the Barstow but also the Bluebuck, the Burnside Special and any other classic Gavril that may appear), I just had an idea: how about adding a larger Inline-6 to go along with the existing 232ci/3.8l Super-Thrift one? It can be a (let's say) 260ci/4.2l unit and it can also bring the performance parts we've been discussing about to both of them. After all, there's still plenty of room between the 232ci Super-Thrift Inline-6 and the smallest V8, the 291ci/4.8l Fleet-Power.
    The idea came to me last night after discovering the AMC 258ci Inline-6. I found out that it was an incredible engine back in its day, capable of reaching like 250hp or so! :cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice