1. This section is for official content brought to you by BeamNG. Please keep the discussion civil and posts constructive to avoid spam. Posts disregarding these guidelines may be removed without any notice.
    Dismiss Notice

Gavril D15

Discussion in 'Official Content' started by gabester, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Xupaun

Xupaun
    Expand Collapse

Well, there's the left/right trim adjustment, so you can kind of correct this

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. McBeamer94

McBeamer94
    Expand Collapse

Just noticed 2 details in need of correction:

1) When putting the Stepside Bed and applying the "Two-Tone - Alternate (Colorable)" paint design, the paint transition on the Stepside Tailgate (both the Early and the Late parts) doesn't align with the transition on the rest of the Stepside Bed and the whole body in general. It's a bit higher on the Tailgate and looks a bit weird.
    2) I believe the "Old Paint" paint design should be independent of the other paint designs (maybe make it a separate option, with its separate "Old Paint" list of versions of all the existing liveries?) because, as it is right now, it limits the amount of combinations to only one (when talking about the D-Series): the "Two-Tone (Colorable)". What if someone wants to apply "Old Paint" on any other paint design? It just can't be done.
    This is a problem with all BeamNG cars having an "Old Paint" option right now. The Banger Derby liveries are an obvious exception to this as are the "Police Old Paint" liveries on the Grand Marshal.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Sp0rkly

Sp0rkly
    Expand Collapse

Being able to have things like the roll bar and loads at the same time and not choosing one or another would be a cool QOL thing to add.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. McBeamer94

McBeamer94
    Expand Collapse

Just noticed a few more wrong details, this time with both the D-Series and the Roamer.

Roamer (both the Standard and Extended bodies): even after the remastering of both the D-Series and the Roamer, the Roamer still doesn't share the same Late Front Right Door Panel with the Late D-Series. I mean, it does share the same Late Panel design but, on the Front Right Door of the Roamer, it only has 1 rocker switch for the Front Right Window while the D-Series one has 4 rocker switches for all 4 windows and a push-button switch on top for locking the Front Right Door (just like on the Front Left Door of both the D-Series and the Roamer). This isn't right for a family car.

D-Series (Extended Cab, Crew Cab and Extended Short bodies): the early Rear Door Panels don't feature winders/switches for rolling the Rear Windows up and down and they're not available in "Rear Left/Right Door Panel" and "Electric Window Rear Left/Right Door Panel" versions, like the early Front Door Panels are. Only the Late Rear Door Panels have this feature, in the form of the aforementioned rocker switch (one per rear panel and this is also the case on the same Rear Door Panels of both the Roamer bodies).
    Plus, on the Extended Cab, only the Late Rear Door Panels feature interior door openers. The early Rear Door Panels do not.
    And one more thing: on the Regular Cab and the Short bodies, the Late Front Door Panels have all 4 rocker switches for the windows, which doesn't make any sense since Regular Cab and Short body only have 2 passenger doors.

#964 McBeamer94, Feb 6, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 6
  5. Fox Next Door

Fox Next Door
    Expand Collapse

Thankfully, you're not the only one that noticed those small details. Every car I look at has 4 switches on the driver door panel, then a mirror of the driver door panel for the passenger side, aka with 4 switches. It bugs me a lot because of my OCD, and yet, BeamNG is decent at not mirroring meshes. That being said, for the D-Series, with it's many cab options, I feel it would be a waste of time to have different textures for each of the cab styles, and the coding that goes along with it. For the regular cab, it is understandable that the driver door panel has 4 switches. It's mostly due to limitations and time. It can be solved, but would anyone be willing to solve it? :)
    Hopefully that eases concern :D
    --- Post updated ---
    Also I agree, but again limitations with textures and coding, the file for the truck would be larger than necessary. It is possible too, but BeamNG devs want to avoid making the game larger than they have to with what I feel they would consider as uneccesary stuff. It's very possible to make a mod with the old paint skin and all of the other skins, but having its own slot would be a little harder, atleast for myself with my newly found skills that I am still learning. (mostly why I haven't released any mods yet haha)
    --- Post updated ---
    This too is very possible, and likely to happen, however the configuration files would be slightly bigger than necessary. I'm going to personally look into it and find out how hard it would be to implement into the game based on dimensions of loads and whatnot. For certain loads, they just barely fit in the box of the truck, thus adding roll bars and bed covers would make it unrealistic in a sense due to mesh clipping. This could also possibly render the vehicle unusable with a rollbar/couch (for example) configuration.
    --- Post updated ---
    Adding a slot on the camper shell for the CHMSL would solve that :D Easy quality fixes. I'm not a developer, but simply giving my thoughts :D

#965 Fox Next Door, Feb 7, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Tuner from America

Tuner from America
    Expand Collapse

Ignoring all the little things that could be improved on the D15, one big gripe I personally have is the lack of a base V6 engine. It's completely understandable for the D-series to have a Inline 6 with the pre-facelift models, but once you start getting into the mid 90s and 00s, I find it hard to reason that the Straight 6 would've still been in production with possible emissions restraints and the aging of the motors design. As Dodge introduced a V6 magnum engine in their Ram pickup trucks in 1994, with Chevy doing it even earlier in 1988 with the start of their (then) new GMT400 platform.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Fox Next Door

Fox Next Door
    Expand Collapse

As for payloads, it depends on which suspension setup you have, engine power (to an extent), transmission (Also to an extent, a 4 speed with tighter spacing would allow the bottom end torque to be applied to the ground more efficiently than a 6 speed with taller gears, atleast in my experience)
    Based on the trucks real life counterpart (I assume to be the Ford/Chevy pickups) I can say that the half ton, D15, has a towing capacity of about ~7500lbs. The heavy duty D35 would have a towing capacity of approximately 12,500lbs towing capacity. The D25 is in between that value.
    Don't quote me however since I am basing this off of averages for the real life counter part to the D-Series. I could be totally wrong, but there is no official documentation on the towing capacity of the D-Series line.
    --- Post updated ---
    I agree 100% with this. The inline 6's were phased out around the GMT400 era, but Ford kept their 300CUI I6 until 1996.
    --- Post updated ---
    I also had the pleasure of owning a Magnum V6... It was, well, not great. Oil consumption issues, accessory belt kept blowing apart, Power steering always dying, one of the connecting rod bearings was bad, the engine ran rough and it just wasn't a good experience. Although, for a first vehicle that lasted 3 months, it was fine.
    Could also blame those issues on a lack of maintenance as well since the truck had over 250,000km on the odometer when it finally stopped working, since it was a hand-me-down truck, the maintenance history existed only in an alternate plane of existence. Lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tuner from America

Tuner from America
    Expand Collapse

Sure sounds like a average 90s Chrysler product, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fox Next Door

Fox Next Door
    Expand Collapse

Why is that statement so true haha

Any 90s chrysler product I have driven have all been equally as terrible as the last lol It must be a common Chrysler problem.
    My father has a 2021 Ram 1500 for work. It has the 3.6l V6 with the Etorque thing, it's gutless, the taillight is burnt out, the engine light.. worked once then stopped, even when it does its diagnostics when you first "turn the key" (its push start. You push it down a hill to start it lol). Had connected a read to it, the computer is locked down, only the dealership can view codes, it's been in the shop for small issues that prevent it from being driven, only to find out that it's due to the A/C system, which was replaced twice, the TPMS system doesn't work, I wish that light would stop working too, and last but definitely not least, (or last at this point) the seat control for the backrest no longer works lol
    Not just 90s Chrysler, but 2020's FIAT as well lol

• Like Like x 2
  10. Tuner from America

Tuner from America
    Expand Collapse

I can attest to this, my Father used to own a 2004 Jeep Liberty (Almost at the height of the Daimler Chrysler partnership) that was bought brand new by my Grandma. By the time we got rid of it (A mere 168k miles, 270,369km for you non yanks), the 3.7L PowerTech V6 was in need of new valves (after previously doing one bank of them 2 years earlier), and as a result failed Illinois emissions testing. The cost to replace the other bank of valves was significantly higher than installing a whole new motor, on a car that had rust issues, a failing 4WD system, and overall sort of worthless.

Interior quality was abysmal, with the plastic trim in the center console actually making the gear shifter stick in park, fan speed #2 never worked (seems to be a really common issue). Not to mention it had a recall in I think 2014 for a similar problem the ill-fated ford pinto had, easily punctured gas tanks in rear end collisions. And Chryslers fix was just to add a tow hitch onto the rear, how clever.

And yeah new FCA stuff is also kind of bad, our new Jeep has had its water pump fail at 50k miles, the rear trunk door almost decapitated me once when the gas struts failed, when it was 1 year old. And the "UConnect" infotainment system we received was defective and kept on crashing and blue screening. I'm just hoping it doesn't eventually develop the infamous Gen III hemi lifter tick.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fox Next Door

Fox Next Door
    Expand Collapse

Oh the dreaded lifter tap.
    I owned a 2004 GMC Sierra, the one actually in my PFP, it had the 6.0l Vortec V8, it developed a weird tapping noise under the valve cover. It wasn't lifters, it was literally a rock. There was a hole on the valve cover. We all thought it was lifters, but it kept moving and was inconsistent. I'm glad it was in there tho! It kept me from using my truck to haul someone I didnt want to be near, to a place I didn't want to go to lmao
    --- Post updated ---
    Let's stop going off topic tho. I might go to Off-Topic to create a thread there!

As for the D-Series, personally I would LOVE to see an official 5th wheel hitch for the bed, as well as a 5th wheel trailer, such as a camper, flatbed, or cargo trailer :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Tuner from America

Tuner from America
    Expand Collapse

More trailers in general too, we don't have any enclosed bumper pulls, no flatbeds, no 5th wheels, etc. The addition of a 5th wheel trailer platform would also allow for a ridiculously big 5th wheel RV that even makes Megacab longbed dually 1 ton Dodge rams look tiny

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Fox Next Door

Fox Next Door
    Expand Collapse

I'd love to see that! I've been contemplating creating said platform eventually, however with my experience, or lack thereof, I am afraid to do so since I am not very good with textures at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. McBeamer94

McBeamer94
    Expand Collapse

Tbh, I disagree with this perspective because Bruckell already offers V6s, so it's better for Gavril to offer Inline-6s, for diversity's sake. After all, Bruckell uses V6s to this day, in the Bastion, and Gavril used the 4.1 Inline-6 until the 2017 model year (which was the last one for the H-Series), so a modern Gavril Inline-6 successor being larger than the 3-liter of the ETKs, being (potentially) turbocharged and (equally as potentially) coming from down under could fill a certain much-loved niche. :cool:
    --- Post updated ---
    Tbh, I don't see how fixing a small misaligned paint transition could increase the file size but it's a quality issue that needs to be fixed. After all, BeamNG's total official file size is about 15GB, IIRC, so some more MBs can't make that big of a difference.
    I don't think I have an OCD, it's just that some details like the clearly misaligned paint, the not standardized sharing of the correct switchgear and the absence of the CHMSL on the Camper Shell (stuff I described previously on this thread) don't really look all that realistic.
    Yes, time is running with such a dense creation/update/remastering program but quality is very important as well. Of course, quality is in abundance in this game, absolutely no doubt about it, but that's what constructive criticism is here for! ;)

15. Fox Next Door

Fox Next Door
    Expand Collapse

I get where you're coming from, however it would be a slight bit harder to map the textures without splitting the parts for each cab design imho. I'm not sure how to go about it, but I am sure it's something the Devs are going to look into :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. McBeamer94

McBeamer94
    Expand Collapse

They already do split the Muffler/Sport Muffler/Side Pipes/Side Pipes (Clearanced), Running Boards/Rock Sliders, Bed/Long Bed, Camper Shell/Long Camper Shell and Frame/Crawler Frame designs for each Cab/Body, so it's not gonna be difficult. :p

Think about it for a second: Gavril has been using Inline-6s since the 1960s (and maybe the 50s even, since the Burnside could clearly use an Inline-6 as its base engine) and the Inline-6 made it all the way to 2017 (in the last model year of the H-Series), while Bruckell changed to the V6 format in the 80s and uses it to this day. Using an engine format for so long turns out to be making it into a trademark of your brand, just like the V8s are (mainly the beloved 6.9/423ci one)! That's how ETK's Inline-6s are known!
    So, apart from differentiation, the large Gavril Inline-6 is certainly worth a large successor! ;):cool:

17. Fox Next Door

Fox Next Door
    Expand Collapse

I'm so not up to date with the lore haha
    So Gavrils trademark is the I6? I'd still enjoy a V6 in these trucks tho alongside :D

Also good point lol I took a look into it, it doesn't seem that impossible to separate the panels. Also I would like to see manual window winders with the new interior eventually too, since vehicles with manual windows, although fairly rare, are still being produced today. An example would be my dad's companies 2019 Ford F150 XL, it has manual windows lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. McBeamer94

McBeamer94
    Expand Collapse

Not a trademark in the traditional sense of the term but it's been uninterruptedly in use since 1962, in the Bluebuck! Bluebuck, Barstow, D-Series, Roamer, H-Series! That is saying something, isn't it?
    Not to mention the TCM 8.9 and TCX 10.6 Inline-6 diesel engines of the Wentward DT40-L and the Gavril T-Series respectively! Not to also mention the fact that the Burnside Special and the Gavril Grand Marshal could easily have the 3.8 and 4.1 Inline-6s respectively as their base engines! You see how this goes! ;-)

Manual windows actually were part of the more basic models of the 1992-1997 'Stock' facelift of the D-Series. Note that these more basic models have the 'Early' Fascia with the 'Intermediate' Headlights (they're flush with the fascia and they're not forming a cavity inside it, like the 'Early' Headlights do)!

19. Fox Next Door

Fox Next Door
    Expand Collapse

I've noticed that! Personally I love the attention to detail put into the truck :D

As a side note, I have started working on another truck :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. PowerWagon79

PowerWagon79
    Expand Collapse

I have quite a few suggestions for the ol' d-series.
    1. Revise 1992-1997 front fascia. I've never liked it, and I still don't.
    2. A base V6. Like you guys were saying in the previous comments
    3. More aftermarket beds. A small dump bed, a utility bed, conventional tow truck bed, etc
    4. Better farmhand config. As I see it, the farmhand is way too European. I like to think it was only sold in Europe. A more American version wouldn't have side panels on the bed.
    5. Reduce crew cab configs. IRL, none of the big three offered crew cabs on half ton (1500, f-150,) until the mid 2000's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice