1. This section is for official content brought to you by BeamNG. Please keep the discussion civil and posts constructive to avoid spam. Posts disregarding these guidelines may be removed without any notice.
    Dismiss Notice

Gavril Grand Marshal

Discussion in 'Official Content' started by gabester, Sep 2, 2012.

1. jawbone

jawbone
    Expand Collapse

But that's all irrelevant considering how cool it looks when it flips out of the dash when pushed.

2. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

I thought the same thing for a while - that I was missing some links - but I studied extensively some photos of bare Crown Vic chassis with the rear suspension/links fully exposed, and some of them only had as many links as the Grand Marshal. I set up the nodes/beams like that and the suspension seems to track fine. It has two control arms on each side, plus the driveshaft itself to help locate it, and the flexibility of the bushings allows the axle to roll. You'll find a similar setup on an old 1980s Celica/Supra - if you were to give it completely hard bushings, the rear axle would be unable to roll.

3. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

Perhaps due to the way a jbeam works, it does not require a track bar to locate the axle, but whatever it may be it locates itself fine, so a track bar is not necessary other than aesthetic purposes. It's obvious that the Grand Marshal's rear suspension works just fine, it just seemed odd that there was no track bar or Watts Linkage.

As for the 80's Celica/Supra (I assume you meant the A60 chassis made from 1981-1985), I believe they used a semi trailing arm IRS setup, thus a track bar is not needed. Some of the more basic 4 cylinder models had a 5 link live axle (all Celica XX/Supra models had the IRS). But yes, I do believe that in almost all suspensions, the bushes are flexible to allow a bit of movement, so a track bar is needed to help control this movement (and in the case of a live axle, allowing it to roll). For Independent suspensions, the diff is fixed to the chassis, thus a trackbar is not needed. For live axles with leaf springs, the leaf is used to control side to side movement, so again a track bar is not required.

Also, speaking of Supras, I found this image of the IRS setup from the MA61
    A60 IRS.jpg

#203 Bakasan, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
  4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Noticed 2 things with the grandmarshal in the new update.

Firstly as my day took a turn for the worst I thought to myself "god damn that gearstick is huge"
    screenshot_00000.png screenshot_00001.png

Secondly, minor error, the manual transmission is still labelled as being for the D15 in the parts selector

5. Petrovsky

Petrovsky
    Expand Collapse
    duplicate account of banned user AwesomeSauce

Also, why does the GM have such a long and thin gear stick? It's a 90's sedan, but that gear stick is like something from a 70's van.

6. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

that was my point, I think it was lifted straight out of the D15

7. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Exactly, it's from the D15. Direct transplant. Hence having a giant shifter. Ford never made a manual Crown Vic; this is an aftermarket transmission swap to satisfy manual lovers.

8. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

God, This is an awesome mod...

:D

#208 redrobin, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  9. wikchi

wikchi
    Expand Collapse

awesome work i love this car :cool:

10. Frallet

Frallet
    Expand Collapse

Not sure what you did to tweek the suspension in the front tires, but they lay over way too easily after the update. I mostly set up derbies while playing, and with a stripped Grand Marshal with a pushbar, you could use up the car pretty good, like a real derby car, but now almost any hit will break the tires. Not much fun for derbies anymore :(

EDIT: I must've had bad luck because they haven't broken as easily since that first time I played after the update. My bad!

#210 Frallet, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  11. gmaksi83

gmaksi83
    Expand Collapse

Full size hot rod Chevrolet Impala SS 1996
    Full size Chevrolet Impala 1996
    94-96_Chevrolet_Impala_SS.jpg 5934914756.jpg
    used-1996-chevrolet-impala_ss-sedan-10256-12377072-13-640.jpg used-1996-chevrolet-impala_ss-sedan-10256-12377072-8-640.jpg

12. LandYacht76

LandYacht76
    Expand Collapse

Uh, what?

13. Petrovsky

Petrovsky
    Expand Collapse
    duplicate account of banned user AwesomeSauce

14. Mopower77

Mopower77
    Expand Collapse

15. MM1998

MM1998
    Expand Collapse

Huh... you use MAX now, I thought you used Blender? That's what you used to use I believe, right?

16. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Lots of people here use Blender (myself included). I believe Gabe's been using Max for somewhere around ten years.

17. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Old discussion, but there are many cars that do not have a track rod. Triangulation can be built into the 4 link such that side to side movement is resisted by the rods. A Toyota Starlet you may be suprised to find does not have a track rod, just a triangulated 4 link. Additionally, some rear end link setups use "control arms" which are links with 2 mounting points to the frame and one to the axle, providing a triangle shape to resist sideways motion.

Also, some ra6x celicas use a solid axle, I have one in my yard. In North America, the Celica GTS came with the Supra P type flares and independent rear suspension, but powered by a 22re, where the GT and ST came with a solid axle more like an AE86.

18. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

That would explain the Moonhawk's suspension then (it uses triangulated upper arms to stop sideways movement). On the Grand Marshal though, there appears to be nothing like this, the suspension is almost identical to that of a Crown Victoria, but there is no watt's linkage on the Grand Marshal to prevent sideways movement. Strangely though, there is no sideways movement on the Grand Marshal.

Regarding the A60, the 4 cylender models were available with both the semi trailing arm setup (previously shown) or the solid axle setup, much like that used on an AE86 (as you say, in the US only the GTS celica had the independent suspension) Generally, the sportier engined, upmarket variants had the IRS, while basic models were fitted with the solid axle (I fairly sure this applies to the Carina and T140 Corona as well). I will have to find a definite answer at some point so I can use the right suspension for my A60's.

For the Celica XX (Supra), IRS was standard.

19. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

So how about a 2014 Grand Marshal? You know you wanna. iIts the closest thing you'll ever get to one ;)
    UsFan20.jpg

#219 HadACoolName, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  20. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

That is actually a great idea.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice