General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Which is exactly why highly polluting cars are being banned from many cities. aka. not Alaska

Also, I am pretty sure I didn't mention anything about artificially increasing prices of any type of vehicle or for any particular group of people, incomes or anything else. However I would like to point out that owning a V8 is not a human right, it is a Luxury. However people do have a right to life, to not die of lung related diseases aged 50. Hence in densely populated areas or other areas with crap air quality steps should be taken to ensure that your desire for inefficient vehicles isn't causing others health problems.

I didn't state that a current Tesla is perfect for everyone. Cause its not. When charging points are more common and/or batteries can be swapped out quickly then they may be more viable in certain areas, but as of right now that is not the case. Also worth noting is that a battery doesn't function as well in the cold, so the range would be further reduced in your area of the world anyway. So for reasons of practicality electric cars don't make much sense in your area of the world at the moment, however as the technology matures range will likely increase.
    Just for reference a p100d will do 315 miles on a single charge in moderate weather, however that will also set you back a metric crap tonne of money anyway. So once again not practical.
    For a lot of people cars like the Renault Zoe will make a fair chunk of sense, since if your commute isn't very long (they quote 60 miles in Winter) its either very cheap or free travel (If you have a free charging point near work). So for a family as a second car it is a decent option.

2. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Dat air though...

• Like Like x 5
  3. Dunkleosteus

Dunkleosteus
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Probably the worst crash in any type of racing, from 80s Indy Cars.

Gordon Smiley's crash into a wall at +200 MPH.

4. Teoman

Teoman
    Expand Collapse

Indy and nascar are quite dangerous...

5. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

But not as dangerous as Group B rallying was.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wolf

Wolf
    Expand Collapse

Anyone know of any other cars with these highbeam lights in the fender?

The illuminate when the steering wheel is being turned in that direction and the headlights are on, You can turn them of with a switch under the dash so they don't come on.
    I just thought it was a pretty cool safety feature if your driving in rural areas during the night time.
    Picture is from my 96 patrol which has them.

Attached Files:

• image.jpeg
    • Like Like x 2
  7. NismoR35

NismoR35
    Expand Collapse

I've seen some cars with lights like that, generally called "Cornering Lights", some cars have them turn on with turn signals like I've seen on some Cadillacs and some other older-ish GM cars, other cars they light up when the car's turning at a relatively low speed like on some Saabs and a few of the higher end Audis. Actually you can find them on several various cars with most of them integrated into the fog lights and such.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Yup, our 04 Maxima (see above post) has side lights that come on with the turn signal. Not necessary, but somewhat useful and neat.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bhorton

bhorton
    Expand Collapse

Well, I have my sights on a rather lovely looking Volvo 240 GL Estate. Does anyone here have any experience on owning a 240 estate, and what they are like to run and drive?

10. crazikyle

crazikyle
    Expand Collapse

I love dashcams. Like you said, they can be great tools both for protecting yourself and using them as a learning experience.
    I had a similar experience, in which a lady failed to look left before turning and I almost hit her. I occasionally look back on that video to remind myself how you always have to be 110% alert behind the wheel. If I had been adjusting my radio, or doing anything other than paying attention, I would have T boned her at 45 mph and more likely than not killed her.
    The two most important things I took away from that experience are to expect the unexpected, and always pay attention.
    And here's the video so you too can learn from my experiences:

• Like Like x 3
  11. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Just be glad you don't live in Germany where dash cams are not allowed

12. B727ClassicFlyer

B727ClassicFlyer
    Expand Collapse

I wonder why dash cams are not allowed in Germany...

13. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Because you are invading the privacy of those you are filming.

14. B727ClassicFlyer

B727ClassicFlyer
    Expand Collapse

It doesn't work that way in the US and Canada, where we aren't violating the privacy of those we're filming. For example:

--- Post updated ---
    It doesn't work that way in the US and Canada, where we aren't violating the privacy of those we're filming. For example:

15. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Yes, that is because German law does not really stand for much in the US ;)

In most countries you can use a dash cam without any issues. Not sure if Germany is the only one that doesn't permit it.

16. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I remember you posting that, I assume back when it had just happened. I always keep an eye on people turning from side streets.
    I haven't really caught much bad driving from others that is interesting enough to save. I thought this clip was kind of interesting. Dashcam makes it look super lame though. I was going about twice what it appears I am.

I fucking hate it when people make it look like they're about to pull out in front of you.

17. crazikyle

crazikyle
    Expand Collapse

Man my memory is terrible. I only remember posting it once before in a thread that got deleted, and I assumed many people didn't see it.

I too had something similar to what you posted, where someone started to go, stopped, but in my case they continued on. It was a special situation though, in that a police car was trying to go through the intersection. I still don't know if what I did was right or wrong in that situation. I felt that I could not stop in time due to the wet weather, and plus the cop car still had plenty of time before it hit the intersection. You can't even see the cop car when I'm approaching the intersection.
    Starts at like 55 seconds

It's such a stressful situation. You don't know if you should slam on the brakes, swerve or keep going. If the lady in my first post had stopped halfway through, I absolutely would have hit her as I don't think I would have had time to swerve.
    Everyone on the road is an idiot except for you.

• Like Like x 1
  18. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

So I'm thinking to talking to this guy.

228k but... Mad 7000rpm V8 for $800...

#3298 CTJacob, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

But you have to tell people you drive a Taurus.

• Like Like x 5
  20. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

FWD.. Ugly..

But V8

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice