General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

They made those lumpy shits with V8s? Awesome.

• Like Like x 5
  2. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Be careful, the cam gears on those Yamaha V8's tend to snap off the cams. It doesn't happen on every motor, but it's a known issue.

• Like Like x 2
  3. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

That is going to be my first question for him. I would assume it's been done sense it has 228k miles on it... Most didn't last to see 100k without the cams welded.

I still have the Ranger and the Grand Marq tho.

But I already have RWD V8 to balance that out. This would be my first FWD car.

Yup. From 1996-1999 and only for the SHO. 235hp, so less HP than the Marq (as the Marq sits now anyways) but it's also 900lbs lighter. I actually just looked that up. I expected it to be 3700lbs but nope, This car, V8 and all, weighs 3300lbs. Only 200lbs heavier than my Ranger. It also has 3.77 gears vs the Marq's 2.73s. 0-60 is about 7.3 seconds in the SHO.

The engine is based loosely on the Ford Duratec V6 with heads/cams/valves designed and built by Yamaha in Japan. The block is aluminum cast the same way Cosworth does their engines.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

Did they suffer from torque steer?

5. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

I've never really heard about it being an issue. They don't really have alot of torque tho. Only 230lbs-ft/312nm. The V8 isn't like a typical 2v OHV Murican V8. It's a 32valve DOHC V8. More like a Euro V8.

Edit- Says he doesn't know if the Cams have been welded or not. So... I can't imagine it getting to 228k without it tho... Most seemed to die before 100k....

Edit2- I'm gonna pass. If the Cams were for sure welded I would look at it more but eh. I'll stick to the tried and true 5.0L Explorer.

#3305 CTJacob, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  6. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Looking around, they have unequal half shafts up front so yeah it will to at least some degree

• Like Like x 3
  7. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

But, if that 302 Exploder is 4wd, it's going to be AWD, which means Even while being a relatively small vehicle, and with only a 5.0, its still going to manage to get terrible mileage, I know, a friend of mine had one, and I swear that thing only got 11 MPG.

8. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Yes, but you have to remember that the 302 in those Explorers were basically unchanged from their conception in the 60's, minus fuel injection.

9. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

That not exactly true, or even relevant to the point I was making.

Think about it, how can that exact same 302 get 16-17 MPG in a 4wd automatic fullsize half ton pickup, while only getting 10-11 in a much smaller, lighter Explorer?

10. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

I think it's crazier how the 4.0L V6 is rated only 1mpg better in the city and the same on the highway. The 5.0L is rated 15mpg overall vs 16 for the V6. My Ranger is the 4.0L and with the 4.30s/5-Speed I get about 16mpg. The average user rating is 15.2mpg for the V8. The users rate the 4.0L at 16.9mpg.

#3310 CTJacob, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  11. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Full-time AWD in the higher trim Explorers/Mountaineers. That saps a lot of resources

12. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

Any Explorer that had a 302, was then also full-time

13. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Then you're answering the question yourself. All of that parasitic loss equals higher fuel consumption.

14. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

which is why most of these awd crossovers today are part time

• Like Like x 2
  15. TWilliams458

TWilliams458
    Expand Collapse

why the hell would you do that to a car. it wasnt made to be a convertable so why even bother? there are some stupid people in todays society.

16. Pervin.M

Pervin.M
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

evolution of BMW and LADA :D

Attached Files:

• e6fc11582e9793b00ddaa973c5229de8.jpg
  17. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

Honda fun fact of the day. The third Gen civic wagovan had 4 wheel drive, but only when the front wheels slipped. I uncovered this while researching a 4wd drivetrain swap. Turns out it's WAYYY above my head. I can put parts into anything, but fabricating a custom rear end? Nope.

18. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

thats how most transverse AWD systems work (and some longitudinal, skyline for example).

You have transmission permanently connected to the differential for one set of drive wheels (the front diff in a civic, rear in a skyline). Then either a viscous coupling (in civic) or an electronically controlled clutch (skyline) connecting the other differential (so rear of civic and front of skyline).

normal conditions. Electronics will open the clutch where the system is electronic and the car runs 2wd. Viscous couplings, well say the civic is rolling forwards under fwd power, the rear wheels are going to get pulled alone and backdrive the viscous coupling anyway, no torque goes through it. If the front wheels slip, on an electronic system sensors can detect that and start closing the clutch, in the viscous coupling, the fluid interacts, either way, power starts being added onto the other axle.
    Effectively means these cars go from 100% power on 1 axle to a near locked 50:50 split, or somewhere in between. Only real exception is the focus RS which is electronic clutch based, but has 2, it can disconnect either axle and run front or rear drive in theory, in reality I think it switches infinitely between 70:30 and 10:90 splits only though.

• Like Like x 1
  19. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

Great, now I know all about how 4wd (will never in my car) works.

20. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Is it possible to have a car wich has awd but you can also decide if you want to have only fwd or only rwd so you have all ways of putting Power down

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice