General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

I might have to disagree. I've driven every Porsche made from 1973 to 2013. It was for work, but I had my fun. The best handling Porsche ever made to me is the 924s. Lighter than the 944 but with the same engine. The example I drove was dead stock except for koni suspension. The only ferrari I ever got to drive was an f430 and I didn't get to actually beat on it all but one thing is for sure. Both of them are really nice to sit in. All the 911s are fun and easy to drive because they understeer near the limit, a great attribute for street going sports car. The 997 gt3 drives itself and depending on what you want out of a car that's a good or bad thing. If i owned one that's a GREAT thing. My Honda I could wreck and be OK. My gt3? I'd cry until the next year.

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Regarding the vehicle size thing from previous page. A LWB ford transit is larger than a dodge ram crew cab + duallies. Proportions make them look bigger than they are, not to say they arent huge, but they arent as big as they look, anywhere a van can go, they can go.

• Like Like x 1
  3. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

The difference is that people who drive large vans tend to do so out of necessity. While people who tend to drive those large trucks generally don't (in the UK at least, however I get the feeling its a similar story elsewhere). In certain areas of this country daily driving such a large vehicle could turn into a fairly miserable experience fairly quickly (Unless reversing down country lanes is your jam).

Equally, the LWB Ford transit is actually narrower than a Chevy Suburban. Since the Suburban is 2007mm wide while the Transit LWB is 1975mm wide (Both excluding mirrors). The LWB transit is also only 31mm longer than the Suburban (5680 vs 5649). So it really is a truly huge car.

4. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

I had an F250 in front of me the other day, there was a Hilux beside it. I have never seen a Hilux look tiny before, those F-Series are goliaths on the road.
    Also lately I've noticed an increase in the number of American Utilities/Pick-ups in Australia. In the past week alone I have seen an F250, Dodge Ram, GMC Sierra & Chevy Silverado. A couple months back I also saw a Tundra up the road from my house.

5. Dunkleosteus

Dunkleosteus
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Isn't the Hilux stupidly reliable as well?

6. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

TL;DR, yes.

7. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

ABS is nice and good and all, but it really shits on your stopping distance when it gets all confused.
    Botched the hell out of a rockford in a pretty confined space and ended up heading backwards towards a curb. Hit the brakes and got a hell of a lot of abs and not a lot of deceleration. Don't really know if I made contact with the curb. Felt kinda like I did right as I stopped.
    No dashcam video, was in the 07.

8. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

Yep, if I ever needed something bigger than a Holden ute, I'd go for a Hilux.

9. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

That wouldnt be much fun to drive through with a normal car to be honest

10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

try bombing down back lanes in a normal car, even with no power its hilariously fun.

• Like Like x 1
  11. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

i will try sounds like fun

12. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Well, the Sonoma's entire braking system shit the bed last night. Will be spending all day troubleshooting and probably replacing pads, shoes, rotors, drums, and the master. This should be fun.

13. B727ClassicFlyer

B727ClassicFlyer
    Expand Collapse

It could probably be the master. Do you feel any pressure in the brake pedal? If not, then the master shit itself.

14. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I have experience with braking systems, thank you. I had to rebuild the entire thing on a 1996 Corolla. It has an extremely stiff pedal, and actual stopping is almost non-existent. Something in the main feed is frozen, I think. But best to rebuild everything to be safe.

15. B727ClassicFlyer

B727ClassicFlyer
    Expand Collapse

I'm kind of worried, as my dad has not driven stickshift for over 20 years, and the Porsche Boxster (1998 model, ICYW) he bought three days ago is a 5-speed manual.

EDIT: He apparently stalled it out 5 times in the last two days he owned it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Got this Yamaha CV80 for $20 today. 2 stroke 80cc and it goes just as fast as a shitty Chinese 49cc 4 stroke. Well, it would if it ran. It's been sitting and I'm pretty sure it was stolen at some point. I turned the ignition with a screwdriver, clamped on a China scooter ignition coil, and it's got spark. Has compression so now I just need fuel then I can decide whether to have fun with it and try to make it rideable or part it out.

17. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

Wow Holden, you would never even know that there was a GMC badge there..
    save over1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. coolusername

coolusername
    Expand Collapse

Or a Opel/Vauxhall on the blue one...

19. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

Holden Trax is an Opel (Built in Germany)
    Holden Colorado 7 is an Isuzu (Built in Thailand)
    Holden (Acadia?) is a GMC (Built in USA)

"Australia's Own Car" my arse.

• Like Like x 1
  20. coolusername

coolusername
    Expand Collapse

What about the Ute's, are those aussie build?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice