General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

Interesting. It's not as bad as the n-word here, but along the same lines. We spend a fairly significant chunk of high school getting shown photos like this and this while they beat it into our heads what a dark and horribly racist time the 1940's were in Canadian history, to be absolutely sure it never happens again.

On a less-depressing and more on-topic note, my mom and I are both not fans of the '04 Civic Si we bought last year, so there are plans for some car shopping next time we go to the city. There are two I have my eye on that happen to be at the same dealership:

http://www.velocitycars.ca/vehicle/1998-Volvo-V40/754?s=1

http://www.velocitycars.ca/vehicle/1999-Subaru-Legacy/1538?s=1

Hopefully we can get in and test drive them before they go. We definitely want a wagon, probably a Subaru Legacy or Forester. Low-mileage Legacy GT Twin-Turbos are everywhere, but reliability is our main concern so I'm a little apprehensive of high-powered cars like that.

#6801 Googlefluff, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
  2. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

In Australia "Jap" is not used as an insult (not by the majority anyway).

3. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

Duuuuuuude get a Legnum!

4. pickle330

pickle330
    Expand Collapse

Velocity Cars, eh? A lot of the cars I find I'm interested in online tend to be from there. Ever been there before? I've heard mixed opinions of it, so I'm curious.

Nonetheless, I wish you good luck in finding a wagon.

5. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

I've heard some iffy things about them too, but most of it seems to be from 3-4 years ago and a some of the complaints seem to have been addressed (missing auction sheets for example). Haven't been there in person yet but I'll be super careful either way, if only because my last dealership experience was terrible. They allow you to get a third party inspection done wherever you want, so I'll do that as well as going over every inch of the car myself and matching it up with the auction sheet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I've heard it handled as a slur in the US and Canada. But in the UK Jap as a shortened Japanese is no more considered a slur than Brit for British.
    --- Post updated ---
    I'll recheck the photos later but i don't recall catching one. I've never heard of there being any VR-4 in the UK, and that would have been the place to find one

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

By VR-4 i am talking about the Galant and Legnum VR-4.

8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I'm well aware of what they were, i just didn't see one and have never seen either vehicle in the UK. There would have likely been one, but there was alot to see and you had an awful lot of miatas, civics, gtrs and anything Subaru to sift through first to find anything else

9. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

Apparently they are fairly rare over there at least compared to here in New Zealand. FTOs were apparently a pretty popular import into England back in the day.

I just realized that the Plymouth Duster is basically the American equivalent to the Valiant Charger.
    Well its on the same platform. lets see if someone would want to swap a 265 Hemi into a Plymouth Duster.

10. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Ew, why would you do that? 340 into a Valiant Charger, however...

11. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

265 is a beast of an engine.
    Look it up.

Oh and they did put 340s into the chargers as they were planning on using 340 powered Chargers in Bathurst but then the supercar scare happened oh and they would of suffered from severe under-steer because of the heavier engine but would help with acceleration on the straights.

#6811 ktheminecraftfan, May 2, 2017
  12. Keyboardviking9

Keyboardviking9
    Expand Collapse

Is is just me, or does the Mitsubishi 4G69 engine have virtually no aftermarket support at all. The best I got was a cold air intake, extractors and a turbo kit from Racing Performance Works over in Western Australia.

13. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

Because 4G63 is where its at?

6a13tt engines suffer the similar problem.

14. Keyboardviking9

Keyboardviking9
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, 4G63's are better, but i'm too poor for an evo. It should be possible to swap engines though.

Edit: Forgot the Galant VR-4 and a van which used a carbied 4G63

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

I'll admit, 302 NA HP without even having to rev is actually pretty impressive for an L6, though the 340 V8 was probably underrated and, just as a guess, may have more "headroom" for power gains via modification simply because of its larger displacement. Still wouldn't bother to put one in a USDM Duster (unless it was one of the crummy low-line ones, maybe).

I'm really partial to "yolo swaps" but at the same time I like to look like I have a lot of common sense. Which side should win...

#6815 NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck, May 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I am pretty sure all accidents reported affect premiums, regardless of who is at fault. The logic being that even if you weren't at fault you weren't able to avoid the incident, whereas another driver (who may have been more observant or just paying more attention) may have been able to avoid it. So your premiums will go up since you are statistically more likely to get into more accidents in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

To bring back the off topic, here in the southern US calling someone a jap would be a pretty major insult, but using it as short for Japanese in something like Japfest probably wouldn't be a big deal. I wouldn't call something that because of the possible PR disaster though.

18. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Saw this last night

IMG_7971.jpg

Sexy, sexy Supra

• Like Like x 2
  19. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

saw my first real ricer today in some sort of honda civic coupe or something normaly i only see audi a3s and bmw 3 series that get riced to hell

20. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

N/A 4G63's are all over the place. They were a highly common engine used by Mitsubishi in the late 90s and early 2000s. They can be found in N/A trim in the Eclipse, lower spec Galant, lower spec Starion, etc. etc. The Chinese use an N/A 4G63 in the current Brilliance BS6 and Landwind X7.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice