General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Calculated the yukon's mpg for the second time today. 10.8 running the hell out of it vs 10.9 driving like a grandma.
    It went back to sounding the "old" way when I drove it the next day. Sounded different after a couple of wot runs, but after sitting overnight once again it sounds the old way.
    Had a couple stored codes. One for a random multi cylinder misfire, another for low o2 circuit voltage, and another one for the knock sensor, for which the wire is, uh, broken. Hopefully I can deal with the knock sensor wire sometime today.
    I ordered a thermostat because it never heats up past about 120, and a fuel filter cause it probably needs it. After both of those are done I'll run some injector cleaner through it, then I'll work from there.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

I think I get what what you're saying now, which mainly has to do with "fanboying" Japanese car culture. I'm talking about the kinds of people that buy the cheapest, raunchy civic auto around, slap some stickers and a fart can on it, and then tell everyone it's JDM YO to gain those street creds. While people like these exist, there are also those who have a genuine passion for Japanese car culture, despite their background, and will go to great lengths to fulfill that passion. It's important not to group these kinds of people together, because one's actions are as a result of wanting to be trendy and gain acceptance from the masses, whereas the other's is as a result of their own passion and identity, which if you ask me makes all the difference.

So if you ask me, you shouldn't be angery at people who refer to mountain passes as touge, unless they are a genuine ricer:p I think you should certainly have respect for the country you live in, but by no means are you obliged to love it or it's traditions. If someone wants to put fender mirrors and Watanabes on their 240Z, there's nothing wrong with that. Sure, it would be easier and more patriotic to just leave the door mirrors and find some 4 lug American racing rims, but if the owner prefers the Japanese alternative, then nothing else will do.

And yes, Japanese people do sometimes use English loan words instead of traditional Japanese ones, an example of this would be beer. While you can say bakushu (麦酒, lit. malt liqueur), it's much more common for people to use the word ビール, which is just the English word adopted to Japanese. That said, this has more to do with tings that are not traditionally associated with Japanese culture to be referred to using loan words.

A better example though would be Japanese who purposefully use English phrases in conversation.

If you ever watch Sound Euphonium, you will notice that the character Asuka will often say things in English for no apparent reason, even though she could easily say the same thing in Japanese, and would probably be easier for everyone to understand.

Basically, my point is that what people say, what they wear, what they do to their car and so on is solely up to them, and there is no obligation to comply to any sort of national pride, only common sense and decency (which by telling people not to say touge you would be contradicting)

Bonus round! It's also somewhat common for Japanese people to to wear clothes with English on them, often with the weirdest shit written on them. Of course, no-one understands the meaning or really cares:p

For a more real life example, note the guy's hat at 3:23 into this video

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brown_Diplomat

Brown_Diplomat
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

That actually makes me think Americans are very picky on cars, some teenager drives a 1982 Pontiac Firebird, they automatically assume he is an idiot, when someone drives a stale 1969 Camaro, he gets lots of thumbs up's even if it is a literal piece of crap.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

There's a reason so few cars are made for the enthusiast and most are comparatively bland. Most of the market is not enthusiasts. Cars are tools.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Yep, today brands sell their cars for having an 8" screen rather than a good engine.
    That remenbered me of a guy tha had a 60k audi A6 with the base 150Hp engine in it, don't know how this thing was even moving.

Ouuuuh, didn't know Cadillac were selling cars in France. The DTS seems like a pretty good quality/price ratio!

6. MrAngry

MrAngry
    Expand Collapse

Are you sure it wasn't 150kw? Last time an A6 had 150hp was with the 2.5 TDI engine. I wouldn't call either slow, 150hp is plenty for most people, including me myself.

#7346 MrAngry, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  7. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Nah, 110Kw...
    Meh.jpg
    I mean, I'll rather putting those +20k into a better engine rather than options.

• Like Like x 2
  8. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

1200px-Cadillac_DTS_--_02-29-2012.jpg 5bf.jpg

258750.jpg large.jpg

258746.jpg Laughing-Men-In-Suits.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg Laughing-Villains.jpg

No.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NismoR35

NismoR35
    Expand Collapse

There isn't anything redeeming with a DTS apart from having a smooth ride. 4.6L V8 on a FWD chassis, with a 4 speed auto, just doesn't scream anything. It's literally an old people's car at best. There's better alternatives than this.

10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

A notoriously crap 4.6 V8 and a notoriously crap 4 speed auto

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Brown_Diplomat

Brown_Diplomat
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

12. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

No matter how crap the DTS is, I would still take it over any comparably priced european car and most more expensive european cars. At least it has a real big V8 engine and not some turbocharged inline four 2.0 EcoF*ck.

13. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Fuuuuu... I meant the CTS, not the DTS, I'm not sure it's a lot better, since it seems Cadillac have a pretty bad reputation ^^
    The CTS is only sold here with the 2.0l 270hp I4 with either RWD or AWD (You know how rare RWD cars are here?!), 0-60 in 6sc, it's a lot better that what you'd get normally for this price (Generally around 190hp, 0-60 in 8-10sc) that's very specs for where I live you know! As well asa lot of prenium equipements, magnetic suspensions, electric seats... On paper it's a very good car. And I like old man cars :p

14. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

CTS is available here too. And no one cares. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Ya, I've never seen one in person, TBH honest I've never seen a Cadillac at all, other than in a Museum.

16. Inertia

Inertia
    Expand Collapse

Bought my first car today/yesterday, very pleased with it :D

It's a 2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS, which has 4 wheel disc brakes and ABS over the GL model. I got it for $300 off a family friend, the car is easily worth $1000. Everything has been taken care of almost obsessively, the timing belt has been done recently as well as the front axles. It has 187,000 leisurely km on the clock, so it should have plenty of life left :)

IMG_20170623_124043.jpg IMG_20170623_123932.jpg IMG_20170623_124003.jpg IMG_20170623_124036.jpg IMG_20170623_123848.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Those cars are damn near bulletproof. My dad's had 2, my grandparents have had 2, my cousin had one, good luck killing it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. opkraut

opkraut
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

The CTS V is still one of the all time best sleepers IMO. The new ones aren't as subtle as the old ones, but they're still pretty cool

19. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Yeah! It's not really affordable but you wouldn't expect that kind of car to have the same performance as a Corvette

20. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

Focus is officially listed for sale.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice