General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Whereas that's the regular driver's test here. Do your test in an automatic, can only drive an automatic and insurers view you as incompetent for having to resort to auto only and raise your premiums significantly which is just great when English car insurance is already among most expensive in the world, the penalties for not having it are high and the likelihood of being caught is high (I got pulled over for driving uninsured in the time it took for my policy to begin and then the police database to be updated with that newer info)

2. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

You can't do your driver's test in an automatic here either, unless disabled going for a special B1 licence.

Strictly manual for tests, then what you choose to drive once you've got your licence is none of the DMV's business.

3. VWlove38

VWlove38
    Expand Collapse

What if a person can't physically drive an manual? i.e only one functioning leg etc....

4. Inertia

Inertia
    Expand Collapse

Well they probably shouldn't be driving a car without special setup for it then should they? I think it should be mandatory to take your driving test in a manual here, too many idiots in autos who can't drive and have a free hand for texting and driving which is disgustingly common.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. VWlove38

VWlove38
    Expand Collapse

I agree but I know many people (really, a lot) who have disabilities. They can't drive a manual (and to be honest a lot of people in my country are starting to ditch manuals which is sad) so they have driving aids. For example, one guy lost his right leg so they moved the gas pedal to the left (you have to redo your driving test for that of course), or they soften up the steering wheel to make it easier to turn. Those people drive because they need a car not because it's fun.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Forcing someone to learn how to drive a manual isn't gonna make them a good driver.

#7406 Potato, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

But it will make people pay more attention which in turn makes their driving better

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Well...
    Of course, my Mother can't switch gear until she reach the redline.

9. VWlove38

VWlove38
    Expand Collapse

This is what I meant.... I know a few people who use it

10. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

Exactly. They'll say "this government rule is so dumb" when they have to take the test then they'll buy an auto and never drive a manual again.

11. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

And that's perfectly fine. Learn to drive anything your licence allows, then drive whatever you like best.

While you need to learn how to handle a manual, very little to no practice is required to drive an auto. You can well drive an automatic if you've only driven manuals before, but not the other way 'round.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

The regular class D license test here was so easy I'm pretty sure I could have done it in my sleep, I don't remember it in real great detail, as I took it on my 16th birthday, but I remember that It only took about 10 minutes and I passed with flying colors, and they didnt look at the car itself for more than two seconds.

The Class A CDL test was way more stringent. Not including the written test, It took about 30 minutes of driving, tight turns, city driving, U turns, Lots of reverse turns, hill starts, hill descents, and not running over curbs. Also the truck and trailer had to show DOT Certification, Insurance, and legal plates, and you had to have a set of warning triangles, roadside hazard markers, a full set of replacement bulbs, replacement fuses, two fire extinguishers, and at least 4 red flags.

This is the truck I took my test with, It belongs to the company my best friend works for, but I went through it myself prior to going to the DMV.
    (07 Pete 389 with an ISX-15 and a 13 by the way)

13. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Cdl sounds more like our standard test

14. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

I'm just saying that learning how to drive a manual doesn't necessarily make you a good driver, and it's not going to stop anybody from driving and messing with their phones.
    Nice truck. Only a 13 though not an 18, what does your friend's company usually haul?

15. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Indeed.

More pedals would also increase the chances of pedal misapplications, which seem to be a curiously frequent occurrence in the US... :p

16. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

In seriousness, steel and onions, that's not even a joke, lots of steel coils, plate steel, beams, and on quite a few occasions they'll put sidekits on the flatbeds and haul bagged onions.

They do more than that, so long as it can be put on a flatbed, but by far it's mostly steel and onions.

They do run those 13's over the mountains, but they usually stay in the midwest, on the east coast, and down south.

17. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

Actually no. The most common mistake is hitting the gas instead of the brake, which you can't do in a manual because you'd stall (I've never seen someone do it who wasn't already stopped). The reason they're frequent is probably mostly due to the prevalence of automatics.

18. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

I know, that was more or less a sarcastic remark... :D

19. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

Oh :rolleyes: I'm not great at detecting sarcasm in real life either, to be fair.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

Another difference in the standard class D and a class A CDL is that with the basic license doesn't really require you to know much of anything about the mechanical aspect of the vehicle, whereas with a CDL a solid third of the written test is about you being able to understand and diagnose mechanical issues, be them with the engine, turbo, trans, steering, suspension, brakes, air system, tires, electrical system, and the cooling system.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice