General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

I think there's a bit more nuance than I left room for in my post. I think ≤15 is too young, but I couldn't firmly say whether it should be 16 or 17 without more study. 18 is definitely too old, assuming we're talking about a learner's permit. No matter the age, I think at least ~5 or more hours of driver training in different conditions should be mandatory.

2. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

I think 17 is the sweet spot for being to drive by yourself on the road. 15 is definitely too young and I personally wouldn't trust many 16 year olds behind the wheel by themselves. Myself included when i think back to when i was 16. 18 though is starting to get too old, as many 18yo's have jobs or higher education they need to travel to so they (in most cases) will need a car to do so.
    At 15 and 16, yeah you may have great car control or be the best around a go kart track but most lack the decision making skills and ability of what to do when they head out onto the open road.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Actually 16 would have been nice sometimes espacially for me because my work place at the time was 40km away and there wasnt a bus or train that would go there so i had to drive it with my moped wich only did 25kmh wich took really long

4. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, that's kind of the thing. First, any muggle can do 5-10 over, depending on the road. Depending on the car, it may not even take much intent (lots of power and a weak engine brake will have you flying along at 10+ over before you even realize what's happening. Second, speed cameras don't care if you're only 5-10 over, but here at least we're fortunate enough that they haven't really caught on that I know of outside of urban Arizona (also, some technicality of the legal system may mean that they're an auto win if you fight them, along with red light tickets). Third, we tend to be a lot lighter on speeders in general in some places here. I've been pulled over at 104 in a 65 before, got a nasty fine for it but the word "jail" was never uttered, and honestly, $310 isn't that bad compared to some other places (often in this country).

This I can agree with. While I wouldn't want the British tests copied verbatim here (way too nitpicky on things that are actually detrimental in reality, feeding the wheel & etc.), the quality of the average road muggle here is just sad. Dawdling along under the limit, slowing where they don't need to, slowing down to 40 MPH for slightly tight or technical corners. There's a reason the saying is "if you want to win, hire a Finn", not "hire an American". I would make the teaching and standards much tougher if I could. If I came to power, you wouldn't be allowed out onto the road unsupervised until you'd repeatedly demonstrated advanced car control techniques in a variety of drivetrain, layout, differential, and transmission types on a variety of surfaces.

Besides, teaching people how to maintain control in sketchy situations might also lead to them picking up that driving can be fun instead of a chore, which might lead to less of a market for AWD/AT mama tanks. That in and of itself would be a good thing.

Not necessarily. If I had no consideration for other people, I wouldn't be banging the "never cross the center" drum every single day. And it's not that I have no consideration for the environment, it's just that I think most people are taking it way too far now. The hoopla over CO2 is worn out and overblown at this point; some places still have air quality problems, but those tasked with dealing with those problems should take care to do so without stepping on people everywhere else. Also, China is the big polluter now, not the US.

5. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, for now, but i'll leave that everyone else to argue.

6. Brown_Diplomat

Brown_Diplomat
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

It's simply because i prefer them over a 90's car, i see your point, but as usual, i'll stick with an 70's-80's car.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

The US is in 3rd on pollution per capita but 2nd overall (exceeding pollution from the entirety of the European union, UK and Australia in one go).
    China per person is quite low. The rain China pollution is high is simply there's a huge number of Chinese folk about. When statistically China is less polluting per person than the US, I don't see how it's on them to be polluting less. If anything, the argument you made reinforces that it's the US that needs to do more to tackle pollution not China (should also be noted the Americanshave just pulled out of a climate deal that China are making great strides towards complying with themselves). Open your eyes and see the truth. Seriously never seen someone so narrow minded.

Though rather than making this anti America. I'll name and shame the top 5 in order for both overall emissions and emissions per capita.

Overall:
    China
    United states
    European union (was counted as a complete entity with all countries combined in figures I found)
    India
    Russia

Per capita:
    United Arab Emirates
    Australia
    United states
    Saudi Arabia
    Canada

No idea what the Aussies are doing too emit more co2 per person than the Americans, uae I think has few emissions restrictions though so that's probably why they clime so high.
    Either way "those tasked with dealing with those problems should take care to do so without stepping on people everywhere else." basically leaves you with America needing to do something about it, contrary to your argument they need to do less.
    --- Post updated ---
    Nobody likes emissions laws, but then I also don't like walking in central London where you can literally taste the smog (within same argument above, yeah something needs to change local to London to fix that, alot of it comes from buses and taxis at the moment)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

It's funny that you talk so confidently of your preferred decade of automobile, while not owning one from any decade.
    If you buy a 30-40 year old car, you best be investing in a set of tools and reading up on how to fix them, and probably a bus pass as well.

9. Brown_Diplomat

Brown_Diplomat
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Yeah, i'll invest on tools and read some ways of keeping one running.

10. GLion

GLion
    Expand Collapse

Amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Dayum Mazda RX8's can sound good, saw a modified one today while walking home from the high street. I also saw an Audi R8, but that was far less interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheMurlocTamer

TheMurlocTamer
    Expand Collapse

Well, a carbureted V8 is simple enough, but the electronics of the era and vacuum lines... oh the vacuum lines, a leak in one of those you could lose power, or 4wd (if you get a 4wd truck)

You're safest bet would be the firebird (or a truck preferably with a 350 crate motor)

13. opkraut

opkraut
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

This is exactly why it's set at 16. It's not about your ability to drive, it's about your ability to make smart decisions.

14. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

HEI Distributors are the simplest things in the world, and 90% of the vacuum leaks, or the possibility for them could be alleviated by getting rid of all of the 80's eco-nonsense.

If you get rid of all of that, all you'd need would be a line running from the base of the carb to the brake booster (If vacuum boost), another line from the base of the carb to the trans and to run accessories, another from the base of the carb to the vacuum advance on the dizzy, and one more from the carb to the pcv breather one of the valve covers. That should be all you need.

(Minus one if you've got a manual trans, Minus another if you don't have AC)

15. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Ouch

But hey, at least he has his priorities straight xD

Also, i think we have a new winner for badass jumping

#7455 aljowen, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

That was a pretty rough landing though, I think BJ Baldwin still holds the title for most badass jumps, even if they are planned and not impromptu like that one.
    jump.gif jump2.gif

17. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

To be honest I am pretty surprised the struts didn't end up on the opposite side of the bonnet with the engine embedded in the dirt, that plus the way they took the next corner are what make it badass for me.

18. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

19. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

20. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Welp. Went out tonight to record some pace notes on a local backroad. Going to try to transcribe them sometime. Also spotted a pink S13 going the other way, looked like a Silvia but might have been a 240SX coupe with a faceswap (didn't think to look for which side the driver was on). Also thought it was an R33 from first glance (though I'm pretty tired right now), so if I see this thing again I'll definitely be taking a closer look. In the mean time, raise the unofficial count of possible JDM cars in this valley to 3 (with the other two being an R32 GT automatic and an S13 Silvia convertible, both stanced and riced, whereas this pink thing looked like it might have been fairly functional).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice