General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I guess that's probably a better place to start. If I break it or it doesn't work, then I can buy a new one :p

2. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

You know how you have people putting jdm spec parts on american spec Japanese imports (25 year rule is good for us but not for you guys) but how come there isn't an opposite in japan or NZ (where we have a tonne of second hand jap imports)

Imagine people putting us spec Galant bumpers on JDM Galant vr4s.
    2003-galant-usa-1a.jpg

3. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

I agree with this after playing BeamNG.drive. Some of the old-school automatic cars on Beam (especially the D15/Roamer V8 AWD Sport with a 4-speed auto) can be truly exciting to drive, despite not having a manual. They can also be much faster with an automatic (as evidenced by the D15/Roamer Sport's under-5-second acceleration times). That is not to say that I would take an auto in everything (I enjoy having manuals in small, underpowered cars), but an automatic transmission doesn't instantly mean that the car won't be fun to drive.

• Like Like x 1
  4. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

imo it depends more on the type of automatic gearbox. A dual clutch flappy paddle system can be a tonne of fun. I don't really like gear shifts being totally ruled out of the driving experience since I enjoy the engagement (possibly an argument to make about manuals being safer too). Having said that, I am ok with electric cars being single gear because you get that constant and instant torque, which is also quite a lot of fun and means you always have power ready to go the instant you want it.

I think it varies from person to person based upon the driving experience they want.

Also, I don't understand how the D15/Roamer V8 serves as any evidence for what you have said?

5. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

Agreed. The manual in my truck is great, but offroad in the Cruiser or the SxS I would hate to have a manual just because that would mean constant shifting and probably a lot of lost momentum.

6. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

7. XManic1995

XManic1995
    Expand Collapse

8. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

What is it with the UK, Australia, and NZ making such a big deal out of stuff like this? I really don't understand who this benefits.
    The main reason I like the US is because we don't have nearly as much flagrant nanny state bullshit as the aforementioned countries do. The drinking age here is stupid though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

No idea, I feel a 1 month driving ban or community service would probably be more appropriate. 20 months is enough to be a really big deal, and over what, towing a guy in a wheel chair at moderate (but not high) speed. If he looses his job over it the tax payer is going to be paying his income any way... So I don't really see any positives.

I can only guess they must have wanted to make an example or he must have had something previous on his record or a really terrible legal representative. But none of that seems to be mentioned. That ban is within drunk driving territory, but unless they pulled him over later I am not sure they would have breath tested him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

Re: My dashcam

I didn't bother taking it apart, but wrapping the whole damn thing in packing tape (as opposed to little pieces of scotch tape on each button) seems to have made a vast improvement. I'm going to call it good enough anyway, since I don't really want to spend money on a new camera.

11. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

@Googlefluff I'd wonder if yours is mounted weird or has other problems. Mine doesn't make sound like that at all, and audio quality is honestly pretty ok considering most of the price had to go to the amazing camera. Are you using a GPS mount?

12. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

Just to be clear, do you mean the G1W? I never actually mentioned what camera I'm using so I can't tell if you knew from the footage or thought I own one of the other cameras I mentioned. Either way, it's attached to the windshield with the suction cup mount it came with. Taping everything up makes the sound go away, so I know it must be the camera itself. I'm pretty sure it's just that all the buttons are loose, and continue to get looser with time. I'm pretty happy with everything aside from the build quality.

13. opkraut

opkraut
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Blame Mothers Against Drunk Driving. They pushed a bill through Congress that would withhold funding from states unless they changed the legal drinking age to be 21.

Of course, you can be 18 and go to war, but god forbid you have a little bit of alcohol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Made my first driving lesson in this thing today :)

It's a... Pretty boring car, it's pretty stiff and descently powerful for what it is, but also very comfortable en I love this interior design, but I feel like the steering wheels is "Disconnected" from the wheels...

My instructor is really nice to.

#8174 Ulrich, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  15. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

electronic power assisted steering, tends to feel a little disconnected versus hydraulic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Fast-Subaru71

Fast-Subaru71
    Expand Collapse

I learned to drive on a 208. :p
    My mum also has a 2008 from 2013, with 125hp. Both cars feel "disconnected", but I guess you have to get used to it.
    The 2008 is a pretty good car in my opinion.

Also, good luck on learning to drive. :D The exam can be kinda hard.

17. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I learned in a Honda Jazz (also known as a fit in some territories). It was a fairly nice regular car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, they recently change them, they had 208 before. It's like something every 2 years because because... You know those cars get quite badly abused

From where are you from? I'm pretty sure in French they have to use French cars.

19. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

I learnt to drive in one of these... :(

Me is old... :(

• Like Like x 2
  20. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

UK, here they can use pretty much whatever they like but there are some rules, I think 4 seats is a requirement, not entirely sure though. My instructor said that he wanted a Honda CRX, he said it met the requirements as far as he could tell but he didn't want to push his luck.
    --- Post updated ---
    Still some instructors round me that use them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice