General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Not that old :) My father learnt on a Peugeot 104

And my mother on a 205 (I think)

At the end it might be a better idea. I don't know many people who get a 2017 car as their first car.

Waaaah

i want that²

#8181 Ulrich, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  2. Tesla66

Tesla66
    Expand Collapse

3. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Motorways are for the most part covered in CCTV. Inner city areas around pubs etc where fights are likely to break out are monitored too as well as busier city area's like high streets. Private companies will usually have CCTV inside their stores too.

In Middlesbrough which was near where I used to live they had people looking out for anyone that litters on the high street via CCTV, then they had a PA system where they would tell you to pick up your litter and put it in the bins :p

As of 2015 Middlesbrough council operated "about 150" cctv cameras, 22 of which are "talking" camera's. They used to be operated by 4 staff members, but due to "sweeping budget cuts" they are now only operated by a single person.

As for what I said about motorway camera's, you can see them on a map here: http://www.trafficengland.com/
    ScreenShot2017-08-05at174611.png ScreenShot2017-08-05at174649.png
    You can click on any of the camera's to get a slow updating feed (every 30 seconds). However based on TV police shows I think they have access to a live video feed.
    You can also find out where message signs are and view what text is currently being displayed.
    ScreenShot2017-08-05at183012.png
    Hmm...

#8183 aljowen, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Freak occurence.

You'll actually find that a) CCTV cameras are nowhere near as prevelant as some like to make out (for example, a whopping 2 public cameras in my town), b) theyre expensive to man with little return so are often unmanned (though do often record) and c) in populous places, dummy cameras are common, and the 2 in my town are dummies.

Where you do have functional cameras, its usually focused on a suspected trouble zone, the kind of spot you often find in america they just leave a cop loitering nearby instead.

Speed cameras, alot of those are often turned off. Particularly the gatso style, people slow down aggressively for them to avoid the ticket, and so the money recouped rarely covers the cost of the camera, particularly when so much of that money is lost through the inefficiency of bureaucracy (doesnt matter what country you live in, large amount of your tax payer dollar is lost just in it jumping office to office). Average speed cameras have been shown to be far more effective both in terms of keeping traffic moving safely, and recouping costs.

Most shops have private CCTV though. As does my parents house.

5. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I heard once that speed camera's are usually only turned on when traffic calming measures are in place. No idea if that is true or not, probably just gossip though.

6. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

They are even cheaper here, they have had speed camera signs around a lot the main roads for years here, but no actual cameras, not even fake ones. Not that I'm complaining :p

7. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

They are just lulling you all into a false sense of security. Then one day there will be one and it will be giving people seizures with how often its having to flash :p

• Like Like x 1
  8. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I drove a standard run-of-the-mill Fiesta today. I can't believe Ford is killing them off in the states, it was such a blast even with an autosucks transmission. I'd forgotten exactly how tossable and planted they are.

I need one... with a manual.

9. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

You can get them with an st package as well. Probably pretty quick then as well as chuckabke.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ConcordeLXi

ConcordeLXi
    Expand Collapse

Deleted

#8190 ConcordeLXi, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  11. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

That is literally the most absurd, backwards logic I have ever heard.

• Agree Agree x 15
  12. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

The sign just means they're allowed to setup one of those Vans or a radar trap

13. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Is there a new gt86 on the horizon yet or is it a bit longer away? Because a friend of mine wantd one and is thinking of getting one when the old model goes out and the new comes because they tend to be cheaper then

14. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

2018 I think gen 2 is out, with rumor of an awd turbo model

15. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Awd turbo would be so awesome for that but rwd with more power would be nice too as an option at least

16. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Hello. That's not good at all for modern standards.

Just like saying

"Oh look, they're making walls too hard today, they should go backwards and use straw"

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. NismoR35

NismoR35
    Expand Collapse

Don't turn into luke #2.

None of what you have just said made any sense at all. What someone else said, the chances of you surviving a crash in a new car compared to an older car are Higher. Like, seriously, it doesn't have to be another car, that's specifically newer than the car that is, or is getting hit by. It could be anything, from a tree, to a wall, Anything. If you'd argue that older cars are "stronger" than new cars just because the new cars has specially designed crumple zones, and parts that are designed to break that way so that it doesn't cause any more injury or any hazardous situation, Yes, some older cars can withstand such an impact, but what about you inside? What if they don't have any seat belts, airbags or any kind of safety equipment inside? The car stops suddenly, but you're still traveling at the same speed, what's going to stop you at that same speed, I wouldn't want to smash my face into the steering wheel or go flying through the windshield.

There's a reason why alot of car dealerships, those "cash for clunkers" programs, and anything related are advertising to people to get rid of their old cars, it's not because they want to scrap it and make money, but want them to be in safer and newer cars. Don't quote me on this, since I know that this may be not entirely correct, but that's how I've seen it. But nonetheless, It's totally stupid for manufacturers to NOT focus on passenger safety, or "halt" on advancing itself. I mean, I can't break this down to anything simpler, if an older car has an accident with a newer car, then that's unfortunate, but that doesn't constitute the fact that advancing on safety "has to stop". It's just retarded.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. Standard

Standard
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I'm so done, I AM SOOOOOO DONE WITH THIS BULLSHIT.

19. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

"toughness" is simply not the issue. You can make a car as tough as a brick and it will still kill you in a crash (see Chrysler Imperial)
    Halting development is not going to benefit anyone, all it's going to do is increase the amount of road accident fatalities.
    If you drive an older car, you're more likely to die in an accident. Don't like it? don't crash.

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. Brown_Diplomat

Brown_Diplomat
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I'm currently wondering wether or not a Cavalier is a great car to go rallying?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice