General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

That's what I've heard, though you can't deactivate the extra weight that comes with such a system.

@SixSixSevenSeven

>Impressively packed engineering

Which, as usual, is a metaphor for "nightmare to work on or modify".

#8321 NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

pretty much. You had a system which was *effectively* (but not technically) a second clutch. Engine went through clutch to gearbox to a splitter, that splitter drove rear wheels direct and the front wheels through this second clutch. Normal conditions, that second clutch is open (though actually, it couldnt *fully* release and transferred at least some power, even if just a few percent), and so front wheels are not connected to engine, that clutch can be fully closed so front and rear axles are effectively locked as if the car had a locked centre diff (though actually i dont think it had enough holding torque to manage truly locked, think there was still a degree of slip), or it can be under some sort of part engagement. You could pull the fuse to disable the electronics controlling it and cause it to jam open leaving the car AWD. Later models this then confused the ECU and prevented engine running normally so other measures required.
    --- Post updated ---
    GTR: Indeed, weight is still there, and not very conductive towards removal either (its all integrated all over the place).

Subaru: Its not too bad.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

As for car shows the town i went to school in (primary) Fordham had their show, last year was a tiny one really, but this year they really did pull out all the stops and is really big, was certainly surprised to see a Ford Crown Victoria considering its the UK :p
    Picture dump here..
    https://goo.gl/photos/qBz4vLtkvLsQXTmh6

• Like Like x 1
  4. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

American cars like a lot of their stuff is everywhere!

Better value than an Evolution?
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/mitsubishi/auction-1317161310.htm
    Its been resprayed though.

5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

been there

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Here you go again. As you probably guess since I have the Golf, my mother had a new car, an almost brand new 2006 Corsa. The car didn't had a scratch. The car was to my Grand-father. He always took care of his cars.
    DSC_0976.jpg
    But apparently our gate isn't large enough.
    DSC_0977.jpg
    Seriously. Wtf women. Since almost 30 years she's driving. How can you make such a stupid thing?

Result : scratched bumper and a bent gate.

7. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

as in the one by Wormingford and near Colchester? i think from memory i was in my dads car and we drove past another fordham :p

8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

The one in Cambridgeshire

9. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

oh thats a different one, still a nice place i think from memory, although it was so long ago :p

10. XManic1995

XManic1995
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
  11. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

id love to have that daihatsu and drive in my local supermarket with it would be really funny

12. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

The Infinity Prototype 9 is stunning to look at:

Its a reimagining of what a 1940's race car could be. So it has leaf springs, ladder chassis, solid axles and hand beaten body panels. One major difference though, its an EV.

13. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure I like that. Why would you keep things like the solid axles and leafs that aren't very good (at least for this type of vehicle, they do have their uses), but then put an electric motor in it so it will sound like, well pretty much nothing at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

For fun.

More likely though an engineering exercise to force thier staff to think in a different way to normal. So mostly as a training exercise. With the bonus of publicity.

A very hopeful way of looking at it is that maybe they would like to force their engineers to make an "actual" classic car in the hopes that they can put a classic looking EV on the road that takes design queues from older schools of vehicle design. I would be totally down for EV's that are modern underneath but have legitimate retro styling.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. H/\Z/\RDOUS

H/\Z/\RDOUS
    Expand Collapse

i hate what cars have become

16. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Because all new cars look just like that one...

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Known issue ;). The only difference was that the rental Auris Hybrid was just fine, which couldn't have been said about our gate. It couldn't be closed so my father had to straighten it with a hammer... imagine how it looked after that.

18. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

19. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

I'm lucky my father know how to work with metal ^^ You can't really tell the gate have been damaged.

It seems like the "Scratches" on the bumper were parts of the gate painting, after a bit of cleaning the bumper is in a lot better shape

20. H/\Z/\RDOUS

H/\Z/\RDOUS
    Expand Collapse

no, they just look like geometric messes

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice