General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. XManic1995

XManic1995
    Expand Collapse

Ford Falcon hearse in the UK.

• Like Like x 3
  2. nosraenyr kcirtap kcin

nosraenyr kcirtap kcin
    Expand Collapse

Did you know a Bricklin SV-1 cost about 10 grand on ebay
    To Aussie cars

3. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Snagged a fly new whip. $1400 at a Hamblen County police auction. 2009, 129k.

#9023 Potato, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  4. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

It has been confirmed that the 2018 Chrysler 300 SRT & 2018 BMW 530d will be replacing the Ford XR6 Falcon & Holden SS Commodore in the NSW Highway Patrol fleet.

The 2017 Volvo XC60 has recently been added as a rural HWY Patrol vehicle as well.

The Kia Stinger will likely be considered as well

• Informative Informative x 4
  5. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

Nothing like getting pulled over by a Kia.

6. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Nothing like getting pulled over by a Ford... :p

7. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

So, I have a shift supervisor at the burger joint. She's cool, but a total road muggle. Well, she just got a new car; a late-1990s Infiniti Q45. V8, RWD, but it's the runty one among Q45s. 50K miles and incredible interior, and she's committed to babying it. Still, it is related to the JDM Nissan Cedric and Gloria, which may or may not have some aftermarket somewhere...?

How do I convince her that driving slow is a waste of that car?

(Of course, mentioning the time I almost went off a cliff trying to FF snow drift probably didn't help).

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Get her to drive slow and baby it, then you can buy it off her and have the real fun in a few years ;)

I drove my mom's Kia to the supermarket to run some errands yesterday, and I thought I'd test the car a bit. Pulling out of a stop sign I floored it all the way to redline in 1st gear, only to find the 1.4L 95hp engine hates to be revved, and sounds like an angry vacuum cleaner above 3k. Also, the redline on the tach is marked at 7,000 RPM, but the limiter is set at 6500 for some reason. Peak power around 5000 RPM, although it's not much for a car that weighs 1,400kg. Acceleration is brutally slow, and the laggy electronic throttle doesn't help at all. I never thought I'd be bored while bouncing off the rev limiter in a car :p

Needless to say I prefer to drive this car slowly.

#9028 Slammington, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Novice driver + RWD + V8 + winter coming (and you live in Alaska, right?) + constant advice to drive on the limit. Hmm, what could possibly go wrong?

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Svpracer

Svpracer
    Expand Collapse

It all depends on the elevation change! up-hill could be problems, but coast in N back down and take those corners like Ken Block else wise ;)

11. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

This guy was cut out of the car, was put in a neckbrace and taken in an Ambulance to hospital.
    IMG_5693.png
    He was heading to court to face assault charges.. fraud much

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

It looks like he sideswiped a marshmallow, he was put in a neckbrace for that? I also see no valid reason for cutting open the car, does the other side have more damage?

#9032 MotherTrucker02, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  13. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

It's often standard procedure when neck/spine injuries are suspected as you cant always lift them out straight. I agree it looks like total overkill, but maybe yeah we don't know it all or Mr Court date was faking his injuries and suffered the consequences of the fire department cutting his car up

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

Is it bad that I really like the idea of the upcoming Mitsubishi eEvolution concept it may look ugly as sin and is a crossover (also electric) but it could show potential for exciting performance technology that would move down into lower vehicles in their current lineup (and Nissan and Renault).
    A high performance electric (or hybrid) Mirage sounds really intriguing to me.

15. Inertia

Inertia
    Expand Collapse

poor mitsubishi

ugly and behind in technology

• Agree Agree x 6
  16. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

But automotive AI that ‘builds up a comprehensive understanding of the vehicle’s occupants and delivers a connected motoring experience.’ :(.

17. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

That combo does not go well together. especially when it wouldn't actually be 95hp (more like 85 or so, probably less) at the wheels and 1400kg (atleast 1460-1500kg with driver and fuel).
    That sir, is pathetic.

18. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

No other damage
    22193025_490502761328019_851638682_n.jpg
    Also
    6.jpg

19. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

20. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Volvo has got a car coming out from its new sub brand Polestar (they are now spinning it off as a separate brand)

Its a 592hp hybrid with 737lb ft of torque. 377hp to the front via petrol, 215 to rear via electric. 93 mile pure electric range.

Also, this article on vehicle emissions from the BBC is very well written: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/how_toxic_is_your_car_exhaust
    They do a test between a 2009 diesel Skoda Octavia and a 1994 petrol VW Golf with an independent testing company. All in all it doesn't shed a positive light on the automotive industry in general. But does show that the 2009 Diesel has far better emissions than the 1994 petrol vehicle. Its not exactly an Apples to Apples test but the whole thing is quite interesting.

They also go into detail about how the 2009 Skoda gets 1/3 better emissions in real world testing than the current average for 2017 vehicles within the UK. With some vehicle like the Nissan Qashqai (1.6l turbo diesel) emitting 18x the Legal limit under real world conditions (5x what the Skoda Diesel got).
    So based on that it would seem that Diesels are ok, assuming you buy one from a brand that makes cars that are within Legal limits outside of lab conditions. Which rather strangely seems to be looking quite favourable for Volkswagen considering the results of the 09 Skoda and Tiguan.

TLDR:
    Some modern Diesels are pretty clean, some modern Diesels are 18x over the legal limit. It depends on what engines from which companies.

#9040 aljowen, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice