General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

American cops tend to work out of their cars a lot more than other countries. They don't hang out at the station all day, or drive somewhere and park then get out of the car, they are in their cars pretty much their whole shift. It's pretty much a mobile office and armory.
    They mount a steel center console to house radios and siren & light controllers in between the front seats, a laptop stand under the passenger seat brackets that articulates towards the driver over the center console, and a big partition behind the front seats to separate the front of the car from the rear.
    The console that I took out of my car was almost a foot wide and maybe a foot and a half long. The laptop stand was a big bulky thing which would have had a hard time moving around in a smaller car.
    They really pack them full of stuff.
    7504658284_354165a118.jpg

2. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Its not really fair to say that police in other countries spend more time at the station. Traffic police in all countries spend a lot of time in their vehicles. But different countries seem to have different solutions to fitting their cars with computers. Perhaps its fair to say that crown vics are longer serving since police in the UK seem to have the budget to replace their cars every 5 weeks.

Vauxhall-Astra-Police-cars-Hertfordshire-Constabulary-interior.jpg new-vauxhall-astra-police-car-hits-uk-streets-19010_2.jpg

#1062 aljowen, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  3. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Ugh. That keyboard seems terrible to type with. In the US we usually have Toughbooks but I know at least some/used to use keyboards about that size with Cherry MX Blacks.

Also I really doubt that those cars could bash into other cars to stop them without sustaining as little damage as a strong body-on-frame Crown Vic.

Yes, I'm nitpicking. Get over it.

4. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

To be fair, they are traffic enforcement cars. Kinda doubt they'll be involved in any high speed chases.
    I know the NYPD uses some 3-wheelers for traffic enforcement. They also make up most of their patrol fleet with Wimpalas and Alitimas. Yuck.
    The setups that aljowen posted look pretty interesting. They don't look very durable though.

#1064 Potato, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  5. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

Caught myself looking at New Edge Mustangs on Craigslist today... 2002 Mustang GT Manual with 110k on it for $4400.... Very tempting...

6. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

Apparently once Ford & Holden cease production of their Falcon & Commodore, Australian Highway Patrol cars will then be Chrysler 300s.

7. Calais

Calais
    Expand Collapse

That will definitely be an interesting sight. Really cant imagine seeing anything other than Falcons and Commodores though. (and Mitsubishi etc)

8. BBQ

BBQ
    Expand Collapse

This will be on my yard in a few days :D The only rust I could find was a small patch on the doorsill. Breaklines and hoses will probably need replacing since it's been sitting for so long.
    That puddle you see on the floor is most likely fluid from the clutch master cylinder which is why it has been standing here for 7 years. Will fix that, give it a thorough clean and do an inspection and see if it fails or not.

Attached Files:

• 20150514_133337asdasdasd.jpg
    • 20150514_133402asdasdasd.jpg
    • 20150514_134506.jpg
    • 20150514_134204.jpg
  9. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Wow. Nice. I love the look of those old saabs. Looks like it'll clean up nice.

10. BBQ

BBQ
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I hope so too, I really dig old Saabs, there's nothing like them. My uncle who owns it said it was rustfree the last time he used it. Then the clutch broke and he didn't have time/knowledge or money to fix it. Then it's been sitting here ever since. Kinda sad that he couldn't store it in a better place. It's not a car that you see that often.

11. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

the ultimate demolition derby car.

12. Atomix

Atomix
    Expand Collapse

what a insult.

That looks like a really neat find, those coupe versions are pretty rare, only ever saw the liftbacks.

Very nice of a car, as long as the quarter panel and/or the undercarriage isn't cancer rusted, you will have a nice ride there.

Would take over your 80 any day :p

13. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

im pointing out that its very strong :)

14. BBQ

BBQ
    Expand Collapse

Probably not in the condition it is now :p

- - - Updated - - -

If you look closely on the first pic in previous post, there is also a 1972 Volvo 164E that been sitting there since the 90s. This car is worth quite a lot of money in good condition. It's very rusty and it would probably take a lot of work to get it road legal.

There's also 3 different 240's standing behind the 164 in varying conditions. And my Audi in the background :)

Attached Files:

• 20150514_133720asdasdasd.jpg
    • 20150514_133657asdasdasd.jpg
  15. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

that 164 looks nice defiantly worth restoring. how much are they worth restored?

- - - Updated - - -

My dad has this 1963 Humber Super Snipe that he got from a wrecker for 200 bucks there was a chance of it being used in a demolition derby but my dad managed to rescue it he has managed to get it going.
    imagejpeg_0_10.jpg
    still looks like this.

there is quite a few of these Super Snipes around in New Zealand because the owners thought they would be valuable but they were wrong.
    its not that big its about the same length as my dads Ford Courier.

16. Erik.s

Erik.s
    Expand Collapse

Just got my car back from the place that fixed my rear diff leak, same problem as exactly a year ago, turns out the diff breather is directly on the top of the diff, WHY ISUZU! so basically water gets in, rusts the prop shaft flange and causes the seal to be eaten away by rust. Luckily its easy to extend the breather.

I drove my mothers Ssangyong Rexton for a few days while my car was being fixed, it has ALOT of turbo lag, throttle by wire and its an automatic. Its about as responsive as a half dead donkey. Everytime you want to cross a street, the power only comes after youre almost over and the gearbox takes really long to change down. On the other end of the scale, when your in traffic you cant seem to go slow enough, its either drive into the car in front of you or dont go anywhere

My car (Isuzu Frontier) has about 30% less power and torque, is noisier and not as stable around corners but after getting it back I think the responsiveness and "mechanicalness" of everything makes up for everything.

17. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

Australias big pickup compared to Americas average pickup..... Why are they so excessively big?
    529417_486142341450528_1795506378_n.jpg

18. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Because there might be a leaf on the road, and on occasion they throw a lawn mower in the back, got to have lots of room for that lawn mower.

19. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Our trucks are getting ridiculously big. It's excessive. A few months ago I saw a 2014 F-150 parked next to my dad's '95 F150.
    Made the '95 look like a ranger.
    Also, that looks like a raptor, which has a higher and wider stance than the normal F-150s, which explains some of it.

#1079 Potato, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  20. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

There are a few reasons past just wanting big trucks. They're usually compared to SUVs, and we have massive SUVs with lots of interior space. They've got fairly large cabs, and even the smallest ones still tow 9100lbs. They can actually be really useful, though I doubt more than half the people that own them use them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice