General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

What about no established limit then, so you don't have to keep annoying the hell out of me?
    I'm still getting the new Acura MDX, although I might get the 2018 model for an improved experience.

2. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Your parents must be fucking loaded or fucking irresponsible.

Or your pants must be burning.

3. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

That's later in the future, so why the fuck are you assuming about my parents if I'm planning to get it later on?

4. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Generally, I'd say a good limit for new (as in, with warranty, decent financing, etc.) car speding is the kid's car being 1/5th of the main car's value, and the main car being less than your 10 months' salary.

If you're getting an $55k Acura, that would be at least one of your parents making $330k a year.

And for an $120k for you, that's $720k p.a. for your folks.

5. NismoR35

NismoR35
    Expand Collapse

The way how you're wording everything makes it look like you're getting a brand new car as a first car. You stated that you wanted something nothing newer than 2000 or older.

But then you set the "budget" cap at 120k. Acuras aren't cheap, yes, but they're not that expensive, excluding the new NSX. But anyway, if you're still obsessed over Acuras, there's still a ton out there you can pick up for cheap, either it'd be a Legend, Vigor or Integra.

#11625 NismoR35, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
  6. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

$120k?
    Remind me, is that a car or a house that you are looking for?

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

This is dumb

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

This stupid idiot up here setting a fake upper limit of $120,000 for a first car and joking about it, meanwhile there’s real people struggling who couldn’t even afford a $5,000 pickup truck.

First of all, and please excuse my language, but fuck you. Fuck you so hard a dose of reality gets drilled into your head. Second of all, fuck me. Fuck me for getting so salty on the subject to say something.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

To be fair. I doubt they are wealthy in any of the ways suggested above. The chances are much more likely that they are under or around the minimum age limit of these forums. Probably just pretending about this sort of stuff for the same reason that a certain subsection of people in that age range do tend to.

Best not to get annoyed by it. Rather to lightly poke fun occasionally when something totally outlandish is said and ignore the rest of the time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

I do understand detailedly fooling somebody into thinking that you own something (e.g. posting fake construction details of "your" new villa, or talking about servicing "your" Rolls-Royce), but this is pointless.

11. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

As is so much of many people's daily activities. Doesn't stop them though :p

Looking at the above posts, I honestly can't tell if they are just trying to learn more about the different car markets that exist; whether they have relatives who are in said market and are looking into those markets themselves to help out; or whether they are "roll playing" as someone who is in that position.

But it's not worth setting the forums ablaze over.

12. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

it takes a 150kw shot + no oil to kill the 4.0 six or you could do what I did and buy a 4.9 six powered ford truck/bronco, it takes sand+no oil+2 tanks of gas to kill the 4.9

13. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

I'd just like to take a moment to reflect on how much of a master of distraction Elon Musk is. "Hey, look at us, we're sending a Tesla Roadster to Mars, because we're geeks just like you, see? Pay no attention to the fact that we have no profit now and never will..." Their current debt rating is B3; someone else on another site said they honestly didn't know ratings went that low, but apparently they can go all the way to F and who knows, they might soon, having lasted just long enough to force BEVs into the public consciousness and convince people that they're a viable solution. They're notorious for poor quality and missed (wildly optimistic) production targets, they just had a power steering bolt failure that apparently killed someone, everyone knew they'd get clobbered as soon as established manufacturers who actually knew how to build cars stepped into the BEV arena, but then that's kind of like fighting an internet troll - as soon as they rose to that challenge, the damage was already done. Now Pandora's box is wide open, everyone (including governments) is convinced that BEVs are the business, and it doesn't even matter if Tesla goes under because they've got everyone else playing the BEV game. Thanks a whole freakin' lot, guys.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Yes... Masters of distraction... They must have done everything in their power to distract away from... Oh wait a second :rolleyes:
    Screenshot_20180405-011932.jpg

Also, to my knowledge the crash was not related to the voluntary recall over power steering bolts. It was caused by a seperate issue which has not been resolved yet relating to their autopilot system. As far as I know the worst case scenario for the power steering bolt issue, is that you loose power steering. However the steering will continue to function, it will just be unassisted.

The power steering bolts would experience excessive corrosion in areas with exposure to road salts.

Not to say that the above is ideal in any way. Also not to say that the autopilot crash isn't a big deal (because it really is a big deal, advanced cruise Control that has completed that stretch of road many times shouldn't randomly fail, especially in such catestrophic ways).

#11634 aljowen, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Still counts. "See, all those people saying we're bankrupt, they don't know what they're talking about, we're fiiiiiiiiine." A dumb joke doesn't change the fact that they really are in trouble, but they're probably hoping people won't look any further than said joke.

#11635 NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck, Apr 5, 2018
  16. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

To be honest, I have been eagerly awaiting Uber to go out of business, and somehow it still hasn't happened, despite being hugely unprofitable, having had several scandals involving writing unlawful software to circumvent the police and government and the CEO verbally abusing "totally not employees", and causing road incidents due to their self driving cars craptastic algorithms which are "legally in the right", but unpredictable and dangerous to other road users, then outright mowing down and killing a completely unobstructed pedestrian with little to no attempt at stopping.

Compared to Uber, Tesla looks completely evangelical. Hence I think they ought to be fine. Especially considering how much of a showman Musk is, he could sell bread to bakers.

(to be clear, I am not saying that Tesla *are* evangelical, only that by comparison they and almost anyone else looks evangelical next to Uber)

I also updated the previous post to include a little extra info on the recall.

#11636 aljowen, Apr 5, 2018
  17. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Card kill people every day, Tesla statistically is safer, but it's a high profile company, it draws more attention

18. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

GM and Chrysler have been in trouble for decades, always bailed-out by some last-minute magic trick.

Tesla isn't in such a worrying situation by comparison...

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Their stats probably aren't as good as they look though. Because the people who buy Tesla's are likely to be older and more experienced drivers. For example, the Vauxhaul Corsa probably has pretty poor results in terms of number of crashes. But that is because it is typically a car for new drivers. Not necessarily because it is an unsafe car.

So I would probably take any numbers regarding number of crashes with a very heavy grain of salt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

The average person in the world can barely afford any car.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice