General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

...or maybe he had a "wacky" imagination implemented into these sketches.

2. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

What?...

3. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

That means a idea that seems out of place or strange.

4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Probably exactly this. This is how most mechanics work and is a huge thing that my companies gear attempts to prevent. We have a simple mantra, test not guess.

5. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

I remember watching a documentary about newer fords a few years ago and I remember them saying after 15-25 years about 1/4 of the car is designed to be biodegradable , things like seat foam and fabric and how they where trying to use as much recycled stuff as possible to minimize impact on environment but having the side effect of a cat that will only last a few owners

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. ector1

ector1
    Expand Collapse

Yep, soy based wiring insulation makes modern cars extra yummy to the woodland creatures, I hear Toyota even has hoses made of the stuff...

As for overall durability, the engineering has made vehicles less and less reliable but more profitable for the manufacturers. Almost any 80's-90's North American vehicle can made to last 500,000 to 1,000,000kms with regular maintenance even in the harsh Canadian climate. Try that with your modern vehicle, most vehicles being towed in our area are 2012 and newer.

Truth be told the newer ones are far safer but all that additional crash structure and safety devices adds a lot of weight along with the push to downsize power-trains to get better fuel economy equals overly stressed mechanical and electrical systems that fail more often than they should.

7. MarkosRuiz

MarkosRuiz
    Expand Collapse

Here in Spain we can reach about 35°C outside the car, the car is 6 years old now with 83.000km and we have to refill the A/C once last year I think.
    Last week I cleaned detailed the interior, it was very hot that day and I had it idling like 2 hours with the A/C on set at max power in the front and rear at 19°C and it had no problem. I could barely breathe because I deleted the EGR tho but I dont care xDDD
    --- Post updated ---
    Here in Spain Ssangyong mecanics are like lazy, if you give them the car for fix something, it will be repaired but fail soon. Always. I don't know how they work but it always happens

• Like Like x 1
  8. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Biodegradable doesn't mean that something will perish in its normal environment. It means that it can be broken down by bacteria when in landfill. And often this isnt a fast process either.

But equally, older ford's are known for rusting away before they reach the 15 year mark. Whereas rust protection has improved greatly in vehicles since the 90's. Of course some brands have historically been better than others for rust protection, apparently this is one place where the French and Italians did a good job, along with Volvo ofc. Not to say that rust is a non issue in modern cars, it still happens, but they are more thoughrough with the anti rust coatings. I am not sure there has ever been a period where cars ran for more than 15-25 years on average.

Sure, there are cars that are older than that. But they are a very small percentage of the vehicles that rolled of the production line.

9. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

yeah that kind of aircon performance seems correct. I read a rexton forum where they removed the "Thermo-AMP" (evaporator temperature sensor) and had a bypass switch that allowed them to decrease the temperature of the air. They managed to get down to 5c i think and then down to 3c but that was removing things like the heater and rear ac (all for 2c difference?).

10. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

also depends on use case, out here the #1 killer of any 4wd vehicle is plow duty + crap road salt that is extremely corrosive, the only ones that survive are the less powerful engines like my I6 bronco was never used to plow thus still has a good frame that just needs to be cleaned up and re-coated

11. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I'm quite a fan of the new Bentley Continental GT's styling. However, something piqued my interest, since it is something I have found myself pondering (far more than I wish to admit) when trying to model my own cars.

Look at the fenders, they wrap all the way into the front grille.

And now look at the car from the side.

The fenders go all the way to the frontmost point of the vehicle.

I guess if you knock something with the bumper, prepare to also knacker the fenders in the process. Which will likely be super expensive to replace, not only because Bentley, but also because of how they are moulding the parts.

On my cars I have always settled for "ruining" the body lines of the car by putting the fender lines above the front wheels, it looks a bit crap, but it means the bumpers will actually do their job. I wonder if the bumpers on this Bentley are in any way functional, or if a transit van parallel parking "by feel" is gonna leave you with a yuge repair bill.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

i have to say the design of it is really nicely done espacially seeing how good the design got in the last years for example if you look at a pre facelift continental a faclift continental and the new one the design continually got better

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

*eyes fall out*

14. MarkosRuiz

MarkosRuiz
    Expand Collapse

Amazing piece of engineering. Can't wait to see it IRL

15. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

I don't like the grille TBH. Atleast with the Sergio (I'm starting to like the design), the car had aesthetics that fitted the vehicle like a glove. This looks the car is replicating burping in cartoons.

• Like Like x 1
  16. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

That... does NOT look like a Ferrari.

I like it.

17. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Everything looks fine, until you get to the grille. It's honest to god worse than the Avalon and Camry when it comes to big/wide grilles.

18. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

But it deserves a large grille, while a four cylinder Camry does not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I respectfully disagree. It looks worlds better than everything in Ferrari’s current range (minus the California T). They haven’t made a pretty car since the 458, and when the 458 came out they hadn’t made a pretty car since the F355.

20. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, but how does that look any better than those?
    This car looks more pleasing:

These aesthetics look way better, and is a nice way to execute a futuristic-like vehicle.
    --- Post updated ---
    But the Sergio (another Ferrari from a few years ago) never needed such a grille.

#12380 General S'mores, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice