General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

So every person needs a car tailor made to them? Obviously not. There is plenty of variety on the market, just not all of it is perfectly in the budget of sub $30k USD.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

3. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

"INTRODUCING: The new Fallout vehicle, will appear at the 2020 Geneva Auto Show and may be a mass-produced vehicle."
    /s

4. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Yes, it is a trick, and one I would venture to call witchcraft. Even if the same was true years ago, automotive styling was still more honest in one way: the style was real, not an illusion. The cars created the emotion of stylishness because they were stylish, at least for the most part in ways the people could see and, if they had much self-awareness, sort of understand. Things get a little bit murkier in the 1960s and 1970s when "race-inspired cosmetic enhancements" first became a thing, as I would guess that, for the most part, neither the companies nor the customers really cared whether the spoilers and shiny wheels actually made the car any faster, but the most of them still had the power to back those things up. The difference now is that cars are being designed to work on potential customers' minds in ways they aren't really aware of - creating the illusion of safety, the illusion of practicality, or the illusion of off-road capability when they are really little better at those things than a station wagon or minivan.

5. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

There is barely any. Even in the budget of sub $100k USD.

6. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

For under $100k, you can have literally any drivetrain configuration (outside of rear engine front wheel drive I guess), any body shape ranging from 2 door sports car all the way up to 7 or more seater people carrier, each available in multiple different styles and verities.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. ¿Carbohydration?

¿Carbohydration?
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

When magazines became popular, people would walk around reading magazines and bump into other people and not talking to another.

Also, really? this fricking pedo thing again? of course they are molesters on the internet, but everybody over the age of 10 knows to be afraid of pervs on the internet, or in real life too. (I don't think kids should use the internet to chat by the way, which is why i stated "over 10")

You act like pedos are a new thing.

The only people who commit crimes based on video games are already screwed up in their mind. Showing violent video games to young children is never a good idea, they're brains are developing and it really boils down to common sense.

Every generations media is a circle jerk to a certain ideology. this is no new thing. Granted, it has been getting worse, but that's mostly the news fault, on both sides.

Fox news is a circlejerk to conservative ideology, while CNN/Buzzfeed is a circlejerk toward Radical leftism. They both are strawmanning lunatics.

Phones will eventually be replaced by alternate forms of communication and media, and in 50 years we will be complaining about the latest tech.

My point is, it's a cycle of fearmongering that will continue ongoing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Fine. How about a family wagon with large windows, high roof, a lot of interior space and full-time AWD? I can't think of anything else but G-class, thank you Russian bandits for keeping this car alive.
    There is also Land Cruiser, but the new engine is absolute garbage, downsizing went wrong.

9. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

Wrangler and upcoming Bronco might fit the bill because they share basic style and large interiors but they are part time 4WD, both are available as a 4 door so they can fit the full family

10. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

There is the Subaru Outback and Forester. Depending upon whether you want an estate or SUV.

I am not sure if the Land Rover Discovery is permanent 4wd, but there is no doubting its ability. So that may be an option to consider too, if proper SUV's are ok with you.

Toyota LandCruiser may also fit your demands.

I guess the new I-Pace probably fits within that spec too, but I can't imagine it is what you were going for.

#12610 aljowen, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  11. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

I don't doubt the offroading abilities of the new Discovery, but the windows are small, especially towards the rear end, and design questionable. Outback's windows are really small as well, rear end is too sloped, shortening the cargo space. The Land Cruiser has a horrible little engine that is barely able to move it. Forester is suitable in my opinion, but my father said no, since it is supposedly too noisy.
    The new Defender might be suitable and Land Cruiser V8 might return (as a hybrid?). There are also GLE and Grand Cherokee, but I doubt their offroading abilities. A lot of vans like Vito/Caravelle are roomy and have great visibility, but are mostly automatic AWD and bad off-road. It's a shame Dangel 4x4 is not compatible with automatic transmission (is a must for us) on Peugeot /Citroen vans.

12. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Like anyone takes these things off-road...

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. ¿Carbohydration?

¿Carbohydration?
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

How far offroad are you actually planning on going? Things like the Grand Cherokee are good for almost all snowy conditions, muddy tracks, or uneven roads and potholes.

Either you live on the alps, or you're an offroad enthusiast, but with most roads at the very least cleared of most rocks and large incline/bumps, do you really need a hardcore offroader?
    --- Post updated ---
    Yeah, I'm really sure the rocket ships they put on the front bumpers of Cadillacs and the giant fins were all completely "from a honest place"

And who's to say modern cars aren't stylish? They're following modern trends, and people think they look good, which says to me that you only have one definition of style, and can't accept that public opinion on what is and is not in trend changes.

I think you give companies of old too much credit. In all (and i mean ALL) of business history, products use psychological tricks to get you to buy products.
    Look at this ad from the early 1950s

Hey its a rich person! I want to be a rich person!
    That rich person is a ladies man! I wanna be a ladies man!
    Look at those rocket looking doohickies on the front! that means it's fast right!
    it has fancy wheels! that must mean its fancy!
    50 percent of people want a Cadillac! 50 percent of people will be irresistible envious of me!

This is an example of the kind of advertising tricks to make people buy a product. It's not bad, it's just modern business.
    People value a certain trait = give them a product associated with that certain trait = people believe that they have materially acquired that certain trait = profit.
    If people will pay for something, they value it at that price. No "Witchcraft" is being applied here.
    It's the car equivalent of the food industry.

Consumers who walk into a cake store, and see 2 cakes, one 15 dollars, and the other 50 dollars. They buy both cakes, and go home and try them. Virtually every person said that the 50 dollar cake tastes a lot better, while the 15 dollar cake tastes cheap and flaky. The catch is, both cakes were the exact same cake, made with the exact same ingrediants, by the exact same chef, following the exact same recipe, made by the exact same chef. It's the placebo effect. However, the person actually enjoyed the cake more, and if it tasted better to him, it's worth more to him, so the 50 dollars is a fair price to the consumer. Manipulating the mind, while seeming "Evil" or "Unethical" does produce results that are not fake, and inherently gives the product more value.

Even if it just an illusion, if the consumer buys into the illusion, then it can't be considered false advertising. If you think an SUV will make you feel safe, but it's not actually that safe (while not being unsafe enough to be a problem) then whats wrong with it? The consumers gets what they want, and pay accordingly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I had no idea they did a 2 door Land Cruiser, looks like a pretty dope Defender alternative.

While 177hp isn't much for a car of that size, it is a 2.8l diesel with 450Nm of Torque. So not so quick on the roads, but enough power to get you out of most ditches.

I expected the 3 door model to get a smaller engine too, turns out you get the same 2.8l diesel, bet that is a poky little vehicle. They seem to be stating the 3 door can tow 3000kg, rather them than me I guess.

15. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Grand Cherokee's front bumper hangs almost as low as on older sedans, just waiting to be hit by something.
    Our current 11 year old Land Cruiser with 3.0 diesel is still faster. I guess it is staying for another couple of years then.

16. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Like sedans even have issues, fucking imprezas quite happily go around farmers fields. You seem to be seriously overestimating what sort of capability you need, or seriously underestimating the capability of even a little front drive hatchback

17. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

just buy an old jeep at this point

18. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

I'll take this as "keep the old Land Cruiser".

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. NismoR35

NismoR35
    Expand Collapse

Well, just throwing this out there, but if that "$100k USD budget" stands, there's the much bigger Land Cruiser than what the Prado's been already shown in posts above.

Starts as what it's listed as the "base" price minus options, and you'd be hard pressed to say the engine in it's "slow". 5.7L V8 that puts out 381hp, 543 N·m of torque.

20. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

We'd love this car...but it's no longer available in Europe due to emission regulations. It might return as a hybrid though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice