General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Project cars are pain

• Like Like x 2
  2. TWilliams458

TWilliams458
    Expand Collapse

A few months back, I saw an XB Coupe ROLLING SHELL for sale for $30,000!
    --- Post updated ---
    I know totally agree. Thats one of the reasons why they dropped the ute and V8 versions from the "New Commodore" and made it only FWD. They knew it sold more with RWD, a V8 option and a Ute version. Now they are also trying to get rid of Buick.

And people said they weren't going to before, but it doesn't surprise me.

3. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Robinson is indeed pretty crazy, has done a lot of stuff I wouldn't agree with. I put that there very early in the aftermath of his most recent arrest and didn't really bother to check up on the situation after that, so all really saw about it was "journalist tries to expose the crimes committed by carelessly imported refugees, gets locked up to protect the narrative." However I'm also not entirely convinced that the motivations behind that arrest, or at least the court order that required it, were entirely pure.

As for Trump: "illegal immigrant" isn't a race, sorry.

Le Pen is not perfect, but she's also not the borderline Holocaust denier; that was her dad, who was recently thrown out of the party for that exact reason and whose opinions Marine herself seems to consider repugnant (she herself defends Israel's right to exist). Also remember that people were voting for her specifically, not for her dad or the things he got thrown out of the party for saying. Besides, if we started judging political organizations exclusively by their pasts, that would take out a significant chunk of the left wing as well.

As to Trump's tariffs & trade wars: Trump has been extremely critical of lopsided trading relationships wherein the other countries levy much higher tariffs on our products than we do on theirs. For now I'll assume that his end goal isn't to ban foreign products but to get the countries in which they originate to reduce their tariffs on our products. Regarding Harley's move overseas - a move like that takes months if not years of planning & deliberation, yet they announced it extremely quickly after the EU started announcing more tariffs. My guess is, they'd been planning to do this for some time and just used the tariffs as an excuse. Meanwhile, Trump's steel tariffs have actually created jobs.

Trump's record on car culture: started attacking the Obama administration's flatly ridiculous CAFE regulations fairly early on in his term, and also attempted to roll back penalties for automakers who miss the targets. Has shown himself to be in favor of cutting federal regulations where possible, which is just generally good.

To reconnect this, again, to cars & car culture: I'm not saying any of these people or movements are perfect, however I am saying that there's a great deal more good there than you've been told, and that the general move we're seeing towards increased local control, greater personal freedom, and disrespect for international bureaucracies provides an opportunity for us to benefit in the process.

4. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

The Pilot now looks like the SUV equivalent of the Ridgeline:

JK, it looks less like the Ridgeline.

5. GLion

GLion
    Expand Collapse

Decided to mix the new Jimny and Jeep.
    LittleJimnythatcould.png
    Not bad...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Project cars are only sometimes pain.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Does it idle? Before you blipped it I was expecting the revs to fall into a stall :p

8. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Actually, it does! There's a massive vacuum leak (because of course there is) so it idles a little low, but it does idle nonetheless.

• Like Like x 2
  9. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

I whish they could bring the new Jimmy here, it would go under the samurai name though because GM owns the copyright from the GMC K5/S15 Jimmy

10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Jimny is kinda neat I think. Popular farm vehicles here

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I once saw a lifted Jimny brake hard on a motorway (they had to respond to the car in front braking hard) . It swayed from side under braking like a pendulum due to its raised height and short wheel base, rather them than me I guess. Hopefully they took it as a learning experience and got the suspension properly sorted and aligned for their setup, but I highly doubt it.

They are cool little cars though.

12. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

But the name has one letter different from each other.

13. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

A good thing happened today

• Like Like x 2
  14. GLion

GLion
    Expand Collapse

It's actually called Jimny not Jimmy so no copyright issue there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Miguelkun

Miguelkun
    Expand Collapse

Who loves Porsches? :D
    70 years of Porsche ❤️

_E5D1472.jpg _E5D1420.jpg _E5D4580.jpg _E5D1138.jpg _E5D1452.jpg

16. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

I'm in need of reference images for modding.
    Does anybody here own (or have relatives/friends who do) a Mazda GF/GW model (called Mazda 626, Mazda Capella or Ford Telstar depending on market)? If yes, could you please send me a PM and I'll specify what reference images I need.

USDM model reference images not wanted!!!
    166.png

18. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Not sure how much there is to say about this, but it is pretty cool.

2.7L 3 Cylinder 6 Piston Diesel engine. Produces 270hp, 480lb-ft of torque. Not a new technology, but isn't currently found in cars. Can produce thermal efficiencies of 55% (35% is typical for Diesel). Meaning its a lot more efficient than a conventional diesel, meaning more performance and fuel economy. Obviously its still a Diesel, so still produces diesel style emissions, but higher efficiency should mean less of those emissions than a current diesel.

19. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

I don't see it implemented in the near future. Introducing a new diesel now would be like introducing a new carburetor design in 1990s.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Kinda? The writing is more or less on the wall for most diesel vehicles. However in 4x4 off-road vehicles I could see this having a future, petrol/electric hybrids are fairly ideal for those vehicles too, but I have no doubt that some demand will remain for pure diesels for a while amongst that group of consumers.

On a slight side topic, do you think an electric 4x4 with a smallish battery (40 miles range?) and a petrol generator could be popular?
    Since for short journeys in town it could be full battery electric operation, then for long journeys it could be refilled with petrol like an ICE car, the battery could also be used to power mains electrical equipment. Since the wheels are electric driven, there is loads of torque available all the way from 0 rpm which is ideal for off-road use. With one electric motor per end, it would also be able to put down torque to the ground effectively using torque vectoring etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice