General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Just curious, what do you guys think about the new Kicks?

2. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

That's fair enough.

I think Toyota are actually making a big mistake in regards to not putting their cars in more games. Their bolstering of motor sports should help them out with attracting the attention of younger audiences, but they are missing an opportunity with games, I agree. Equally though, in most regions, they really don't sell anything worthy of being in a game (see below) (excluding the GT86 and eventually Supra ofc).

I'm not sure what it is like in the rest of the world, but in the UK they have had a reputation for being old peoples cars. The Aygo has recently been helping to reverse that somewhat. But for a while they didn't sell anything but incredibly bland and boring cars, not only that, but they were more expensive and less well equipped than the competition. When my parents were looking for a family car around 7(?) years ago, they tried looking at Toyota's (and Honda's for that matter, with similar outcome), but didn't even consider them after seeing what they had to offer. So when 40+ year old parents don't want to buy your cars because of how boring they are, and because they feel the cars are for old people, you've got a problem.

Even now, Toyota still doesn't sell any of the "hot" or even cooking versions of their cars in the UK. If you want a family estate car from them, this is your engine options:
    upload_2018-9-15_0-37-25.png upload_2018-9-15_0-38-34.png
    That's right, the fastest estate car you can buy from them, takes 10.4 seconds to get to 60mph, interestingly, it's also the manual one with the least hp.

For my parents, 0-60mph is more or less a non-issue, as long as it's not slow slow they really don't care, so the performance of the above isn't much of a factor. It was more that Toyota was expensive, boring, with a dull interior, and no equipment. Korean cars from Hyundai and Kia offered more equipment, with less drab interiors. Fuel economy was more or less the same, so Japan was more or less out of the question.

I have heard a *lot* of talk about how today's generation are less materialistic than older generations, favouring experiences over possessions. So the above really doesn't surprise me at all. Personally, it also doesn't bother me at all, since people caring more about people and less about what they own seems like a good thing.

TLDR;

If I had any one particular thing that I would blame, its probably age related. Of course with age comes experience, which has its benefits in many cases. But when it comes to understanding younger audiences, some older people still manage to "get it", however, most don't. Then when young people are not attracted to your products, it's obviously the fault of young people. These young people are living their lives wrong, clearly they don't have their priorities right. At which point, the company becomes less relevant and starts to suffer.

#13502 aljowen, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  3. Spede3

Spede3
    Expand Collapse

Looks like another cookie cutter crossover...

4. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Atleast it sticks out like a sore thumb out of the traffic for now.

5. Spede3

Spede3
    Expand Collapse

Give it a year or 2 and it will be as common as a black 2013 escape.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Depends.

I did first see one in Mexico, then saw a few here in the states.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Spede3

Spede3
    Expand Collapse

Why do companies feel the need to put super stretched back, skinny and long headlights?

ex: The new Cherokee (if you can call it that)

8. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

It's not really new now, as it already has a released facelift.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

I've seen better looking pregnant spiders, and that's coming from someone who usually likes wagons.

As for Toyota's cars not being video-game-worthy, I think things are a little better in the US market, since larger engines are more common here, plus multiple generations of 4Runner and various pickup trucks for the off-roaders. Not that they don't have those things in other markets, but they always seem to get ignored except for the LAWLMEME Hilux because Top Gear said it was unkillable.

Also, at least here in Alaska, there seems to be some sort of car "culture" around taking generic recent compacts and mid-sizes and doing them up with tinted taillights and plasti-dipped whatever, basically ricers but more tasteful because because fashions have changed and the "body kits for everything" ship sailed at least 10 years ago anyway. Also, these people don't use Toyotas from what I've seen.

10. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

I like how the Bronco had to be known as the "murderer's choice of car".

11. ¿Carbohydration?

¿Carbohydration?
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I personally think toyotas are good for racing games because:
    1. A lot of popular semi-arcade racing games are made for people around 10-14.
    2. A lot of these kids mothers/fathers own toyotas.
    3. The idea of hooning around simple family cars, replaced with V12s is very appealing.
    I speak of experience.
    When I was 11, I did use the usual range of super/sports cars, but it was also a "LS swap the world for me"

12. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Another FH4 sitrep: someone found a mountain pass section, but of course it's too short. Like, a minute or less in the pre-modified Lancia 037 that you can get at the beginning of the off-road career. Like, isn't that even shorter than the WCUSA mountain road in Beam?

Once again it seems Playground can't be bothered to put any decent paved-technical roads in their games. Every inch of map space that isn't off-road has to be dedicated to twelvies in McLarens. Well, not every inch, there are more technical sections, but they're still too freaking short.

When I was first typing "FH4" at the top of this post I accidentally left my shift key down and typed "FH$" instead. I think it's appropriate.

13. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Just googled it....

14. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Alright now it's not quite that bad. I hate dbw just as much as the next guy, but it doesn't change how the car behaves all that much.
    It does disconnect you from the car some, but most of them will do just about the same thing as a throttle cabled car when you step on it. A throttle plate doesn't see context either. Some cars are pretty bad about it though. Journeys don't come to mind as some of the worst. The i4 Ford Edge does.
    CVTs are absolutely soul sucking to drive though.

15. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Journey is one, XTerra is another (RIP that car, moose apparently don't see context either). The borrowed '08 Corvette that I drove once was probably DBW but I don't remember it being anywhere near as awful, but then that's a sports car so there might be riots if the DBW was as stupid as the ones in more "ordinary" cars. But I have nearly been hit because of DBW lag.

I4 Ford Edge, that's an EcoBoost right? DBW delay, combined with turbo lag, combined with AT slush. You will probably age noticeably in the amount of time it takes that thing to start accelerating.

A throttle plate doesn't see context, but at least it's chained to my foot and has no choice but to obey, so thus it doesn't need to see context because I'm doing that for it.

16. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

And now, you can buy a family sedan called "Charger Hellcat" with over 700 HP, while 60s dealerships were also left by legions of 88s, LTDs, DeVilles, Fairlanes, Continentals, Monacos, Caprices...

In other words, anecdotal fallacy.
    Mostly because it was useless for other things.

And since when is 604 Turbodiesel, 300TD, 300SD, 524td or even no badging sporty?
    It's never been much advertised, no matter if it was the difference between the 1948 Deluxe and 1968 LTD, or between the 1998 and 2018 Taurus.
    Or ST. Or RS. Or GT. Or Raptor... wait, that's badging that goes on modern Ecoboost Fords!
    Back then, you couldn't really do it.
    The folks who buy I4s won't care, the V6 ones will check anyway.
    Or, surprise, surprise, not all people are like you.

Really a fucking wonder, huh?
    --- Post updated ---
    Most people whomI know to have cars with DBW didn't get hit for that reason.

I think you just drive too aggressively and pay the price when you fail to notice inter-car differences.

17. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Agree that DBW can introduce some delay, not like the old cars with slush boxes where you can pump the throttle to make the rev counter bounce between 1500 and 2500RPM

Also slightly off topic, but ive been driving the Wentward bus and it kind of feels slow, especially the 270hp variant. I compared it to the bus I get on daily, the Dennis Dart, and that has only got 180hp and feels really fast when i'm on it (it wooshes up hills at 30MPH) but the Wentward can hardly get up hills (WCUSA) at 15mph. The wentward is hardly heavier than the Dart, and even still it has like 100hp more

I think it's simply BeamNG, you can't really feel the speed, and the power as you are not moving. That is the only limiting factor of realism i can find on this game, kind of bitter sweet :p

18. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Looks like this may lead to a:
    1. 5-door i3
    2. new model in the "i-lineup"

19. ¿Carbohydration?

¿Carbohydration?
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

That front ends looks like what happens when I stretch around vents in automation in a drunken stupor.

• Like Like x 1
  20. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

It could probably swallow a whole person if that grille was a mouth.

Also, here's the back:

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice