General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I think the idea of shared vehicles has some potential, but I think it would have to be something where the cars are privately owned and shared within a family. Since otherwise there is little incentive to look after them. Concept designers can create the most beautiful of living room style designs, but British rail have tried that in the past when they wanted to put ergonomic mesh chairs on their trains, but found that football hooligans kept slashing the chairs whenever there was a football match on (during trials before a full roll out). Meaning they will ultimately always trend towards the tried and tested coach style chairs, which are uncomfortable.

Shared vehicles have potential to create huge benefits in an environment where cars are used for getting to recreational activities. Since if people only need to use them once a week, it doesn't make sense for them to be one per person (financially or environmentally). However, in an environment where people commute to work everyday in them, it makes little sense to share them.

Recently I have been thinking a little bit about the concept of renting houses, and how detrimental it is. In a society where people own their own homes, they re invested in their local area, as their local area improves, the value of their house goes up, everyone benefits mutually. When people rent, they are often actively opposed to the idea of improvements being made to where they live, since they get priced out of the area as their rent goes up. People complain about gentrification, but I am starting to believe that many of those people should really be complaining about the concept of renting houses instead. I think this is a huge issue that cities are facing, a large quantity of property is set up as rented, rather than resident owned property. Of course allowing residents to collaboratively own a multiple occupant building puts them at the whims of a home owners association, which isn't great either.

While seemingly unrelated to cars, I think this same concept might apply to anything involving rental, including the concept of shared cars. However, with cars it will be far more apparent, since people will "rent" different cars frequently, whereas people tend to stick around in one house for quite a while, making it more difficult to see the issues.

#13681 aljowen, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Did some electrical debugging on my mums car with my dad today.

She had found that the rear windscreen wiper had stopped working. So we checked to see if there was any voltage reaching the wiper motor, and found 12v heading its way. So we took off the motor assembly, and started debugging it. However, everything we did confirmed that it seemed to be working fine, all the traces showed continuity, I connected a 12v wall wart to the motor using paper clips as brushes, and it went round just fine, so the motor was working good. Gotta say, the Bosch system that is being used seems like a really nicely made bit of kit, good to see something like that on such a cheap car (It was in the £6k ($7.8k inc taxes) new sort of range after scrappage scheme). Will likely have to readjust how the wiper is clocked once all is working again.
    IMG_20180930_161402.jpg IMG_20180930_161425.jpg

So back to the car again, turns out that none of the boot lid had any ground connection to the car. So we pulled back the rubber grommet between the car and boot lid, at which point we found...
    IMG_20180930_172949.jpg

So this also means (via checking cable colours) that the rear defroster is dead. One of the dead cables also goes to the rear lock, however the central locking works fine, so maybe its for the sensor that checks if the boot is shut? But neither of my parents know if the car ever had that functionality, so its impossible to tell.

Either way, at least we know what the issue is and can either solder some extra cable in, or crimp some new cable on before its MOT time in a few months.

3. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

I'd say the trend is gonna continue for some time, but once more efficient methods and technologies set in, resuburbanization and remotorization will happen.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Honestly, I'd see resuburbanization and remotorization as being ways to avoid more efficient (thus more boring) methods and technologies by reducing urban population densities, which will reduce, to some degree, the air quality problems. The current worldwide populist movement may actually assist this by repatriating blue-collar jobs, thus giving people genuine reasons to live and work in less-urbanized areas.

In other news, road course NASCAR is on NBC broadcast TV right now, with the third and final stage about to begin. I really don't understand why people don't want more road course racing. Unlike ovals, you don't have to wait for the last few laps to see it get interesting.

Also, NASCAR does not appear to be running things quite the way the FIA nazis do; people are apex-chopping and exit-extending all over the place. However there was that little bit of idiocy with the chicane cut so who knows.

5. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

If people can commute to city office jobs from the suburbs, they can commute to suburban factories from the city. It's not mutually tied.

6. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

They already do, well not all junctions, but where traffic is an issue, buses get priority! I agree about what you said about the EV thing. But humans are hard to change their habits, so if you don't have 4 wheels on your drive, you are poor. (general consensus)

7. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

I can't be the only one who sees that the Model X seems oddly similar to the Civic's taillights from a few years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

You’ve had some of Elon’s pot/seaweed salad. It looks nothing like it.

Also, it’s pretty cool that we can buy a gullwing door’ed minivan that will go 0-60 in 3 seconds.

9. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

10. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

It's a crossover though.
    I should've been specific there. I meant like the shape is almost exactly the same (but with a few adjustments).

11. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

12. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Well, it's probably just going to look the same except without the wrapping (though the design of the car can still clearly be seen).
    --- Post updated ---
    Also, ILX is officially getting a bit cheaper by $2,200 along with the redesign.
    https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/03...t_im_comment_id=sp_K1uZhoSA_23549644_c_mwrNq3

13. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

14. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Well, that's only the A-Spec trim. Also, if you really want a new sporty Acura, there's the NSX.

15. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

What if you, I don’t know.... want to not spend 200k?

You buy an old RSX type-s and be happy?

16. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

It really depends on what the buyer wants.

17. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

99 percent of people cannot buy the (new) NSX

18. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

I assume this is supposed to be a joke.

Also, asking Acura to make more sporty cars is as valid as asking GM to revive Pontiac. It's very likely not going to happen, and will stay that way for a long while.

19. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

Its not

20. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Oh, so 99% of people in the WHOLE ENTIRE US can't afford this Acura then?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice