General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Tesla drivetrains are generally considered to be very reliable. However, its the rest of the car that contributes to those statistics. For example, lots of their cars have had issues with panel gaps among other things. Most manufacturers have got issues like that sorted, Tesla doesn't, and has kinda showed a somewhat nonchalant attitude towards them. Moreover, they don't have a super expansive dealer network, and they aren't so big on right to repair, so it would make sense that when issues arrive, it can take a while for them to get fixed, and be more expensive to fix.

So, for example the Model X's rear doors. Take a company known for poor fit and finish, slap a really complex rear door assembly with lots of moving parts on one of their cars, and reliability issues are almost certain to arise. Hence Model X's are known for having squeaky rear doors, and the Model X isn't a cheap car.

Its Tesla, what profit? xD

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. NismoR35

NismoR35
    Expand Collapse

I'm curious if there are any Tesla "lemons" out there. My uncle's got a Model 3 he bought last year, which he's been regretting. First off, Tesla delivered it to him, by using a just regular pickup truck, with the Tesla logo printed on a piece of paper, and taped to the back window, and a rented open air car trailer from a moving company, which was totally not what he expected. Like, I've seen Tesla deliveries be delivered on flatbed tow-trucks, or something much more sophisticated, like covered trailers, and such, nope. It didn't help that the guys delivering it looked sketchy as hell.

With that over, then there was living with it, he technically traded in his Range Rover for the Tesla, because obviously, electric car, and not having to keep up with fuel for the SUV, and then the other benefits, it all sounds really promising, and he was saving money. Well, the issues that happened afterward put a stop to that, woke up and got himself ready to work one morning, only to come out to find the car stone dead, the car had ample enough charge the night before to get him to work, but that morning, nothing, couldn't get inside, and couldn't get at the panel you had to "rip off" to get at the terminals to "jump" it, so that you could get the doors open and get inside. Checked the app, and according to that, it's telling him that the driver's door was left "open" throughout the whole night, even though the door itself is locked tight, and the handle wasn't popped out. Gave Tesla a call, uncle got an Uber to work, car got sent back to Tesla, and about roughly a week later, gets brought back to him, car works fine for a month or so. Then it happens again, this time, he had it plugged in, but the car wasn't apparently holding a charge whatsoever, all the app and the charger told him that it was "Plugged in". Yet he still couldn't get into the car. So back to Tesla it goes again.

This time the car stayed at Tesla for almost a whole month, and my uncle had to hitch a ride with coworkers and friends, or sometimes having to rent a car, he wasn't happy obviously. Car finally gets back to him, and supposedly it all works fine........ Yeah, until the autopilot decided to slam on the brakes at random times, because it "thinks" that a pedestrian is in front of the car, even though he's driving on a straight road with nothing around him that would cause such a thing. My uncle got fed up, and just left the car in the garage, pretty sure it's dead now, while he's looking at getting his SUV back.

I'm not bashing on Tesla, but, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Informative Informative x 5
  3. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

An electric car is a devil's bargain, guess he learned that the hard way.

4. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

The 1.9 is the same. The Selespeed from hell is the same. Electronics are the same since why would you develop two different sets of electronics for two similar vehicles?
    So, personal experience of others is fallacy. Statistics are fallacy. What's not fallacy? Your feelings?
    I bet you even think your own personal experience is fallacy, and if you buy this car and it fucks you over, you'll say it's all because the previous owner neglected it, or because it's a lemon, or because it's cursed.
    High price doesn't always mean good quality. Even more, cheaper cars need to try harder at maintaining their quality. If quality of a cheap car recedes, people will start choosing different brands. If quality of an expensive car recedes, people will still buy it because of its brand image and the social status it brings.
    Also, EV fanboys who are always praising electric drivetrain's longevity, tend to forget that the drivetrain is only one part of a car.

5. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I'm legit shocked by all of this info. Did Elon not hire anyone for quality control? For a company like Tesla, that should be unacceptable.

How do Teslas do their deliveries by the way?

6. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I think quality is hard to measure. Since luxury cars have far more things to go wrong. So if you had a cheap car and a luxury car of identical quality, the luxury one would break first.
    Equally, when something is simple, it is easier to build to a high quality, the more complexity you add, the more time effort and money it takes to make it high quality. Hence you end up paying exponentially more, and the lower volume numbers of hyper luxury vehicles doesn't help either.

Having said all that, complexity doesn't make something inherently unreliable as long as the engineers have done a good job of managing it.

7. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Used car advice I've read, unlike the experience of one Estonian with an older model with a different transmission.

And, yes, they would have different electronics between an early-2000s Fiat-only compact car and a mid-00s Fiat/GM midsize design.
    Guess what? Lemon cars are made and sold. And if personal experience goes against typical model data, you likely got one.

8. NismoR35

NismoR35
    Expand Collapse

Generally most Tesla deliveries are done by a transport truck, flatbed tow truck or a proper covered trailer. However he's seen pictures of Model S's and such being delivered in a similar way, and supposedly some cars got delivered by white, unmarked vans or pick up trucks that looked like they just picked it up at some rental place and grabbed a U-Haul trailer at the very last minute.

The funny and ironic thing was, comparing the Tesla and the Range Rover, which it's always notoriously known to be money dumpsters when it comes to maintaining them on longtime ownership/high miles, it's been far more reliable than the Model 3 had ever been, just apart from guzzling fuel.

9. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

So, you have read experiences of two Poles? "Very good quality, breaks down only 3 times a year, not 4 like my previous cars (Yugo and 400K km Peugeot) used to"
    Typical model data was clearly visible in the inspection failure chart you shrugged off, claiming that "people just care for Toyotas and VWs more". (Even if that's the case, people tend to care more for things that give something other than breakdowns in return.)
    1. Alfa Romeos are said to be low quality
    2. Statistics prove these rumors true
    3. Used AR depreciate very fast
    What kind of other proof do you want?
    What's the problem with these Tesla deliveries? Do Tesla owners feel too privileged to get their ass off the couch and pick it up from the dealership themselves?

10. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Very funny.

I have read articles about the car.
    How do failures in one specific moment gauge general quality?
    QUOTE="Ytrewq, post: 939604, member: 83381"]. Alfa Romeos are said to be low quality
    2. Statistics prove these rumors true
    3. Used AR depreciate very fast
    What kind of other proof do you want?[/QUOTE]
    Unrelated to cherrypicking and stereotypes.

Unique brand experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

I like how over the years, the B-Class and A-Class started to look less like the same.

Wonder why?

Distinguish-ability...

12. NismoR35

NismoR35
    Expand Collapse

In my uncle's case, he wasn't able to pick up the car at the time/no Tesla "dealership" in his area. Same goes for pretty much every other Tesla owners because there's so few "dealerships" or "showrooms" in the States. This all might've been changed since then, but that's what I was told/what my uncle had to deal with. Then again, I've met plenty of Tesla owners with "LOL OIL" license plates who act like they're "better" than the "peasants with oil burning cars", So.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Does that mean his new car had to travel hundreds of miles on that shabby trailer (without any protective covers, I assume)? That's a delivery I wouldn't want for a new $10000 Dacia, let alone a Tesla.
    --- Post updated ---
    You mean the one that lines up with your opinion?

14. NismoR35

NismoR35
    Expand Collapse

Yep, throughout all those miles, the delivery guys "claimed" there was a car cover, but it "flew off". Like, how the hell do you not notice this, especially considering they were in a pickup truck that had a very clear view of the trailer on the back. My uncle admitted that he was "blinded by the Tesla" to not care about it, and the fact that it'd be covered under warranty, but alas.

15. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

If I were him, I'd refuse to accept the vehicle and demand my money back. If they wouldn't agree, then I'd start legal action against Tesla and summon a bunch of conservative auto journalists to organize a huge media scandal.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

A co-production between Fiat and GM? Sounds like a reliability combination made in the firiest corners of hell.

Get an Optima, which will work 99.9% of the time, with a warranty as well.

#13776 rottenfitzy, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

If stereotypes are true, yeah.

Though you're an American, so if stereotypes are true, you're a dumbass.
    Sure, if you give me the missing 80+ grand.

18. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

What are you trying to say?

Fine then, get a used Optima.
    Look, I know the 159 is an awesome car, but it is not a practical one. A Civic Type R is pretty cool too, and WILL WORK. They are under budget and fun to drive. (EP3 is the one to have)

Also, I’m serious about old bimmers. They have a good fanbase in Poland, and even if they do go bang, you still have plenty of cash left over.

IS200? Sounds perfect.

19. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

I'll need to find a junkyard's phone number, because I won't buy a good one for 13 grand.

Cash that might have to go towards insurance and fixing what the previous owner neglected. From what I've seen, an Alfa is usually in better health than a BMW of the same class and price range.

Until you look at the listings' scrarcity, and worse fuel economy than the Alfa. But yeah, it is quite good.

20. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

.....but it will run when you turn the key.

https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/...b04b32d-58c5-4678-a8d4-8b6ae1018940?cldtidx=3

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice