General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Probably just some random sticker placed on the stop sign.

Doesn't look like an camera to me.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't have guessed it was a camera, but rather a microchip that any vehicle with a traffic sign recognition system can be programmed to sense and recognize as a sign.

3. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

It barely looks like a microchip either (and the fact that it'd probably be better to place the microchip on the middle of the sign).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

Guys its just vandalism. People vandalize road signs all the time. Most I have seen have bullet holes, stickers, spray paint, etc. Its not that odd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Why would it make any difference where the chip went?

On the back side of the sign could have issues with the sign shielding it, but anywhere on the front would work equally as well. Chances are it would also work sat on the floor next to the sign.

The issue is that the chip would have to be powered, I don't know that anything passive exists that could work at >10m ranges (@SixSixSevenSeven ?). So you would need to run electricity, or put solar on all road signs, presumably with a backup battery. And then you would also need to assign some of the wireless spectrum to these devices, which is probably congested enough as is, and then vehicles would need to have hardware able to pick up multiple signs broadcasting signals at the same time.

Even if cost wasn't an issue, technically it would be a bit of a pain to do. The camera's used for tracking signs aren't that expensive, and once you have the software to spot signs (which are super bright and regular which makes them ideal for computer vision), you are more or less done.

6. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Besides the sign talk...

The new Peugeot 508's design is growing on me now. I actually find it a good design, compared to me back when it released thinking it looks fine.

7. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

It wasn't a good place to jump at all. The ascent is way too steep and short.
    You're right about it shooting through its travel though. The body doesn't even start to move upward until the suspension hits the stops. The suspension on that car was pretty worn out to start with. It had a blown shock or two. After I relentlessly beat it for almost a year the condition didn't really change much either. Sold it for a profit and I still see it cruising around sometimes.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I'm blank too. You can get RFID solutions working at that range, but not in practical real world conditions with everything moving and interference from systems installed in other vehicles etc etc etc.
    Camera however. You'd potentially have lighting issues, but sound are very very standardised objects designed to be easily legible. Image recognition on one would be pretty trivial.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

There’s a 1972 BMW Bavaria 4 speed for sale near me. God, I’m way too tempted to buy it.

10. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Cool to hear that Hot Hatch sales are doing so well in the current world of SUV popularity.

Top gear cite Hot hatch sales as having quadrupled (in Europe) since 2012. Which would suggest there will still be plenty of good cars to buy second hand in many years time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

I didn't expect they would do this, but nice to see some experimenting for a new company like Lynk & Co.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Just looked it up and really liked the rear design. It looks clean and simple, like a sedan's rear end should. Shame the front looks like a weird Model 3 ripoff and it's "permanently connected" (quote from their website).

13. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

The front always looked like that. But it actually looks more like a Juke-inspired front (especially with the headlights), which makes the front look way off for a sedan.

14. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

The headlights do look similar, it's obvious that Chinese designers tried to capture the essence of Model 3:

15. Youngtimer

Youngtimer
    Expand Collapse

And IMO this Lynk&Co looks way better than Tesla.

16. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

That's because your dislike towards Tesla in general is influencing your opinion. Model 3 is not a beauty, but that Chinese thing is plain revolting.

#13876 Ytrewq, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

I'm a bit late to the party on this, but I just found out that both Ford and GM will be gutting their lineups in the near future to make room for, guess what, more crapovers. They are shooting themselves in the foot - there are only two ways this can end: the only car you can get from Ford or GM is a Chinese-built crossover with -20 HP and "technology to keep you connected" to foreign intelligence agencies; or as the baby boomers die off, the demand for crossovers subsides, and Ford and GM die off with them thanks to their failed strategy. The solution is clear:

T H E C R O S S O V E R M U S T D I E

(Luckily, it seems the Dodge Charger is not going anywhere - if the European and Japanese makers go the same way as Ford and GM, this may be the last proper car left!)

Which is more ridiculous: a car platform, redesigned for off-road use, then re-redesigned into little more than an oversized hatchback with AWD (the Ford Escape comes to mind), or an efficient, high-performance sedan for people with or without a family or "active lifestyle," like the Subaru Legacy or VW Passat?

#13877 vmlinuz, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

I can't find a single thing to disagree with here. This is the absolute essence of designing, engineering, and building to the lowest common denominator.

19. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

I think you’re being WAAAY to nice to the Subaru Legacy. Has a CVT and a 4-cyl that gives it a 0-60 time of about a week. It doesn’t have anything great about it. Buying an Outback actually makes much more sense situationally due to the fact that fuel economy is more or less the same, and performance is too. Passat is fine too.

Outback > Legacy, but that is because wagons > every other body style.

And this is from somebody who drives a car that makes probably 125 whp at most and has a cramped interior, lol.

I think sedans are here to stay. Domestic brands have realized that the Japanese brands have cornered the family-sedan market, and the SUV market is still up for grabs. Logically, they switched to making SUVs.

Is this marketing decision good for short-term profits? Yes! Is it sustainable in the long run?

No, probably not.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice