General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

Ugly (uh-gull-ee)- Adjective

1. Aesthetically unpleasing

Ex. The 2019 Mitsubishi MPV is Ugly.

2. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

Dunno, the front end just has that generic minivan look, but I guess most European market pickups have a more swept back front end.

3. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

...and the MPV is copying off the Eclipse Cross.

So basically, Mitsubishi is starting to become lazy with their designs.

4. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

It's called corporate identity, and it's an ages-old thing.

Example from 1981:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

But the examples you posted give a good corporate identity. They actually fit in the design well, and along with that look decent.

Mitsubishi isn't really giving a good corporate identity with that front end, as the front is just bloated and has big aero (which I have the same issues with cars like the Toyota Mirai).

6. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Sharp-ish front on a sharp-ish car. Mitsubishis with these front ends look good in person.

7. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

You clearly like that design, but I don't. That's really all I can say about our perspectives about that front end.

https://www.lincoln.com/luxury-crossovers/nautilus/
    Anyways, I know this is pretty late, but what do you guys think about the 2019 Nautilus from Lincoln?

8. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

That Mitsubishi is like a big kei car. I've no doubt it will have its market. Probably going for the "lifestyle" market of "outdoors" people. Who like to have cars that look (on the surface) outdoorsy and utilitarian.

In architecture there are different styles of buildings, each of those styles almost representing an era, as each is popular at different times throughout history.

For example:
    • Brutalism:
    • Art Deco
    • Modernism
    And so on, there are many many different styles.

However, there is one known as "Post-Modernism".

Which is "a style that combines the symbolism of the past with the forms of the present", so I think there is an argument to be made that automotive design has been going through a post-modernist trend. Where cars are designed to emulate concepts from the past, but "playfully" in modern ways. So when I see cars mimicking and exaggerating elements from other past vehicles, I kinda find myself thinking of postmodernism slightly (not entirely, since there are differences).

Perhaps people are attracted to cars that are amplified versions of what they feel they want to represent. The Focus RS is designed to look a bit like a rally car, despite Ford not having a factory rally team, and their neglect of the M-Sport Ford rally team. So people who want to show that they are an outdoor family may be attracted to the design. Or maybe it will be like the Aztec, and be the new cool in 20 years time.

I guess it may also be possible to use architectural trends to try and predict automotive trends? Perhaps there are some patterns there?

Having said all of this, if the automotive design world doesn't already have names for these phases, why not? My best guess would be that no one is really studying the matter, whereas in architecture people do study past styles and concepts. But idk, its not my field.

9. urbanestdog45

urbanestdog45
    Expand Collapse

Isn't the Impreza, Legacy, Outback, and Crosstrek made in SIA, in Indiana, USA

10. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

This is more than corporate identity. This is mindless copy-pasting of an outstandingly ugly front over multiple cars. Corporate identity is usually limited to a overall design language or some part like BMW's kidney grille. Let's take a look at old Mitsubishi designs:

All of them share Mitsubishi's two-piece grille, but the shapes of other parts are all different.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

It doesn't matter where the cars are assembled, because most of the parts are shipped from Asia.

12. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

So, US plants do manufacture cars, but not parts? Interesting.
    And what about used parts from locally scrapped cars?

13. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

It depends on the car, but lots of parts are shipped here to be assembled in imports I have found. Junkyards tend to charge more for parts for non-domestic cars. Also, imports tend to have model-specific parts, which make them feel more upscale, but makes it harder to find parts. I like GM because they use lots of "parts bin" parts, which are often engineered well, for example: the tie rods are the same on a Chevrolet Silverado as my Buick Regal. This allows prices to be cheap and super easy to find.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. nosraenyr kcirtap kcin

nosraenyr kcirtap kcin
    Expand Collapse

I don't agree with the "ugly front" thing for early to mid 80's Cadillacs, when compared to late 80's to early 90's Cadillac

15. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

1. Would rather get a used 2017 Navigator. I sat in one at an autoshow, and it may have been the most comfortable car I have ever been in.
    2. I would change into reverse when I try to change navigation settings.

16. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

I think he was referring to Mitsubishi in that sentence, not Cadillac.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

I wasn't talking about the Cadillacs, but about these new Mitsubishis.
    edit: ninja'd

18. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Plus, I just saw a Eclipse Cross a few hours ago, and guess what? Still looks like ugly as fuck.

The Outlander Sport and Outlander on the other hand might be the only Mitsubishi designs so far left that is tolerable:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

20. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Holy shit, that looks really bad (in condition).

I'm surprised they even decided to put it on sale in the first place.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice