General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Awesome or not, it doesn't sound like a Corvette. Meanwhile, a production electric with actual top speed is one giant step towards electric cars becoming "nowhere near viable, but good enough to fool a lot of normies into thinking they're viable". See, whether car people like electrics or not is basically irrelevant. Once they've advanced enough to start attracting large quantities of normies, "the powers that be" will force their use whether anyone wants to use them or not. That's why electric cars have to continue being worthless.

2. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Well, the Corvette has been changing since the C1.

And it honestly sounds to me like you do not like electric cars, and I'm assuming that is a big reason why you don't like the concept of a mid-engine electric Corvette.

3. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Honestly, I loathe them with the fury of a thousand suns. They're not just boring, they threaten the very concept of freedom of movement, or at least quick and unrecorded movement.

4. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

What? o_O

They can't be that bad. I fail to see how they pose that kind of problem. If anything, it's very likely that they will replace gas powered engines when we can't produce petroleum anymore, unless a good alternative for it is decided.

5. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

It really is still down to range and recharge times. You might not often need to exceed the one-charge range of a high-end electric, but it's worth having a liquid-fueled car for those few times you do. A recent trip I had to take for my job, for example, was 260 miles one way, on a fast, hilly route. A high-end electric might have barely been able to make it on one charge, if I drove slowly and kept the radio and heater turned off, and if the 43 combined miles of construction with its many pilot cars hadn't been there - and then I would have had no spare juice to go scouting for good roads while I was there (which I would have considered a major disappointment, considering I rarely if ever get an excuse to go that far from home), and, oh, I hope the hotel lets me use their electricity to recharge! Then it's the same story on the way back. If I'd had a lower-end electric, meanwhile, then I would have had to rent a liquid-powered car specifically for this trip, and when you're under 25 the money tends to get funny assuming anyone will rent to you at all.

Sometimes it's not even business. Sometimes you just want to go, just for the sake of going, but then you realize that your desired destination is right at the edge of your EV's round-trip range... and maybe the driving conditions you'll encounter along the way might shorten that range. Or maybe you're actually going on a vacation, but then, since you are on vacation, you realize there's a fun detour on the way to wherever you're going, maybe someplace you've always wanted to see but never got the chance... but now you're off the fast-charger network and might not make it back on without the assistance of a tow truck.

Now say it's the complete opposite situation. You're not on vacation; in fact, you're on the run. Sure, your statement that some Republicans aren't racist might be constitutionally protected, but in the year 2025, the Constitution is considered functionally irrelevant by the people who really run things, and they won't hesitate to lock up or bump off anyone who isn't fully on board with their new borderless, jobless, joyless "progressive" utopia. You have to get out of town, fast and far. Too bad you only have an electric car, so have to stick to the fast-charger network (which may not accept cash, and is concentrated on heavily-traveled- and -monitored freeways near and between major metropolitan areas)!

In short, they might be fine for specific trips where you know exactly where you're going (though still have the potential to destroy spontaneity if that place you wanted to stop at on the way home is outside your range), but just can't fill the "only car" role yet. The problem I see is the possibility that incompetent/malicious regulators will think they can (or just not care), and try to force them on people the way some European governments and pressure groups are already talking about doing. Say what you want but I absolutely do not trust out-of-touch, power-mad elected representatives, let alone the unelected bureaucrats they've employed, not to ban ICE cars at the federal level despite the continued existence of places such as my own home state where they absolutely do not work at all, nor do I trust the general public to mount an effective resistance campaign when even some car enthusiasts seem to think any rule with the word "environment" attached is automatically 100% justified no matter what it is or how much freedom it takes away, or whether it will even accomplish anything. This goes for basically every developed country.

This isn't even getting into how utterly unprepared the power grid is for mass EV adoption, or how easily it could be abused by a hypothetical police state to punish "disloyal" people/areas by not allowing them to charge their cars, or the national security implications of shackling long-distance personal transportation to the electric grid, or the vulnerability to EMP/nuclear attack, etc. etc. etc.

#14225 NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  6. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

How did this go from electric cars to conspiracies? I am very dumbfounded.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Any modern car is vulnerable to EMP.

8. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

I think you lost everyone here. And you're giving the regressive progressives too much credit if you think they can take over the country by 2025.

9. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

A 1981 528 has the ECU in a faraday cage.
    How cool is that!

10. nosraenyr kcirtap kcin

nosraenyr kcirtap kcin
    Expand Collapse

11 months latter and I still like this idea.

11. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

do it soon, they are rapidly gaining in value now

12. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

So other than the addition of this logo, what's different about it?

13. nosraenyr kcirtap kcin

nosraenyr kcirtap kcin
    Expand Collapse

The Pun

14. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

That's it?

15. nosraenyr kcirtap kcin

nosraenyr kcirtap kcin
    Expand Collapse

Yeah pretty much.

16. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

17. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Or put an image of Thanos on the hood and call it THANOS AM
    THANOS AM

• Like Like x 3
  18. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

19. Atomix

Atomix
    Expand Collapse

i got teh wing
    photo_2018-11-10_13-51-18.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  20. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

Looks like a mixture of an E9 and an R32. I dig it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice