General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

In fairness, I think VW's "12mpg" would probably equate to 7mpg xD

• Like Like x 1
  2. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Not just VW.

One consistent thing about mileage ratings is their unreliability.

3. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Absolutely, true for most marques. I was mostly making a dig at them specifically about the emissions scandal :p

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Could be better.
    This post was made by Bertone gang.

5. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

The E12 was designed in part by Bertone.

6. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

I like the sleek design on the new Quattroporte to be honest here.

7. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I gotta say, that Hyundai is not some of Pininfarina's best design work.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Agreed. Out of all the designs that they have done, I would imagine its not the one they keep on the wall behind the receptionists desk :p

#15048 aljowen, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  9. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Shit I need to get up-to-date on eyebrow-man COUGH Bertone's engineering department.

10. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Installed the new muffler and fixed this exhaust leak. Not happy at all with the quality of the new muffler, though.
    Take a look at the meaty inlet pipe, which is the one with the wider mouth, on the factory muffler. Nice and thick and straight. 2.75in outside diameter.

Now take a look at inlet pipe on the piece of shit replacement. 2.5in outside diameter, bent like crap. Shameless step down in pipe size after the flange. Shameful. Looks like an exhaust restriction to me.I guess $90 isn't enough to buy a quality muffler.

More pics of the factory muffler for your viewing pleasure.

It muffles good enough though. Now that the big exhaust leak is gone you can hear the other ticks a lot better. Sounds sorta like an exhaust manifold leak, but I've listened real close in the engine bay and under the car, and all of the noise seems to be coming from the catalytic converters. It's possible that the honeycomb is breaking up inside them and rattling.
    There is also another exhaust leak forming where I clamped the new muffler to the rest of the exhaust. Clamps are janky.

11. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

So I noticed the 3rd generation (2013-2019) is the only Mazda3 with a boot mounted license plate, with 1st, 2nd & 4th generation models having bumper mounted plates. I got bored & decided to play with some designs to make it fit in with the other generations.
    Mazda3old.jpg Mazda3new.jpg Mazda3newsecondary.jpg

Then to top it off I thought "What if Ford never discontinued the Mazda based 'Ford Laser', what would a late model Laser look like?", this is what I came up with
    Mazda3laser.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

Where can i find this?

13. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

According to the calculator i'll save $900 (£687) by switching from my saab to an egolf

15. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Versus the several thousand extra dollars you spend over an equivalent gasoline model, not to mention the many thousands you spend versus keeping your existing perfectly fine car.

16. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Well, in America there are tax incentives, access to HOV lanes and premium parking. The price on them is also coming down substantially recently. Not sure about other countries obvioisly. Besides, maintaining a Saab probably isn't exactly hastle free. Just don't look at me if the batteries ever need to be replaced or catch on fire.

17. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

There are several companies out there making aftermarket parts for a Saab.

Electric cars have their place. There needs to be a big push for them in places like China, and that's it.

And let's allow China to keep those electric cars as well. Else we end up with another Wheego LiFe.

18. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

In fairness, all cars can catch fire, especially EcoBoosts :rolleyes:

I think the assumption on VW's calculator is that you are already in the market for a new car.

I would also like to mention that is $900, per year. So if you hope to keep it for 6 years, which is the average length people keep new cars for, that is $5400 saved. Before it is then passed on to its next owner of course.*

I would argue that if someone is looking for a comfortable daily commuter, an EV is a pretty good way to go, since the quietness is lovely. Not to mention that the 0-30mph times are quite impressive, completely effortless, and with instant power. So even if an EV model costs $7000 more than the petrol equivalent, it may still be worth a consideration based upon a customers lifestyle and needs, even if they don't care about the environment.

*Also within those 6 years, its environmental impact will have been superior than an ICE vehicle in the majority of cases, all factors included, including manufacturing, infrastructure and fuel sources.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

What's important in terms of enviromental impact is that batteries aren't the only dirty thing in the car world. Gasoline and diesel don't just flow refined out of the ground.

• Like Like x 1
  20. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

However they also don't emit hydrogen fluoride fumes when they burn, aren't utter hair triggers when it comes to ignition, and don't require ingredients from China whose environmental and human-rights records are absolutely spotless as is clearly stated on completely trustworthy Chinese news website partyline.com(rade), which you will believe without question if you don't want a mobile execution van to come get you.

#15060 NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice