General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

The damn mobile site. I'm still figuring it out. There shouldn't be a "tools" tab, it should just be edit, and "report" should get it's own button too.

Crowded, yes, but it's slightly more functional in my opinion.

2. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Just noticed something: The GT730 was compared to the internal GPU of a Skylake CPU. Wouldn't someone who buys something that cheap use an older CPU?
    I've got that it's better to buy used stuff on low budget, yes, but I just don't know if that comparison is 100% legit.

3. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

It's still barely (~10%) better than HD4600. But that's not the point. Even if it was better than integrated graphics, it's not powerful enough for any demanding applications, and if all you want is more displays you can get something that will do just that for even less. It's overkill for an HTPC, and underpowered for a gaming rig or workstation. There's pretty much nothing in between, so it's basically useless.

4. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Okay, know most of the last part, but I was just wondering. But why do even companies build those things then when they're completely useless? I mean, they should know it best.

5. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Well, 6677, brought up a good point. It's way faster than an Intel G31 GPU. If, for instance, you have an older PC with an x16 slot, it can be a bit of a buff without having to invest in a PSU. But that's a niche market anymore.

6. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

That's what used parts are for. You can get something like a 750/750Ti which can actually play games. G31 GPUs are usually good enough for an HTPC.

Because OEMs buy them and pair them with i7s for $1K+ "gaming" PCs.

7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Did I make that point?

Nah to me I see no market for it.

8. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

I said it might be 10x faster than a G31 iGPU, in response to Nvidia's "10x faster than integrated graphics" claim.

9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Even my fucking bay trail atom tablet manages 1080p video decoding :/

• Like Like x 1
  10. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Why would anyone use it for gaming in a 1K gaming rig? I don't believe there can possibly be people so stupid out there.
    What graphics unit?

11. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Intel HD series. It doesnt get an actual number, it doesnt match the lowly HD4000 though. Its a terrible graphics chipset, it can decode 1080p blu ray media just fine.

12. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

I wonder how that one would compare to a GT710/720/730 then...

13. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

inferior. HD4000 rates inferior to 710. Its just proving my point that even a 710 is overkill for a HTPC. Except maybe at 4K.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Have you ever seen pre-built "gaming" PCs? Some are decent-ish, most have high-clocked i7 CPUs with underpowered GT graphics cards. People buy them because they have no idea how things actually work but i7 = fast, right?

You'd be surprised.

15. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

4K might be a point. Just maybe. BIG maybe.
    I think I really have to overthink how a human brain works, but some can't have more than a single thread rating of 25. And two cores. (Although I have never seen such crappy prebuilds. i7 + GTX 950, sure. But that's the dumbest thing I've ever seen in my life.

16. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

A decent iGPU can handle 4K fine. You can build an HTPC with a £50 Skylake Pentium, iGPU can handle 4K just fine.

Unrelated, I just realised the Pentium name comes from it being the 5th x86 Intel CPU (i586).
    --- Post updated ---
    Haven't seen something ridiculous like a 710 yet (at least not on a new computer), worst I found was an X99 i7 with a GT 740. But look through ebay or craigslist and you'll find plenty of "gaming" PCs with low-end cards like those.

17. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Ah, so it seems the card is indeed in a black spot? Market spot creational sells-accelerator activated.
    The most useless facts are the best facts, as seen on Linustechtips as long as you are searching for knowledge about things you will never hold in your hands anyways.
    Well, I ask myself if those people are actually trying their builds out for themselves. I presume no, though...

18. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Oh, they probably know what they're doing. There are the clueless people who sell their old gaming rigs, those are usually good but old computers being sold for much more than they're worth because the seller does not understand depreciation.
    The overpriced "gaming" PCs with low end cards? Most likely scammers taking advantage of ignorant buyers.

I just randomly thought "why is it called Pentium?", then realised Pentium is five in Latin and it was the fifth x86 CPU (successor to the 486).

19. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Noobs and assholes. Both in one, a really explosive mixture.

20. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

The current state of the world is a result of the combination of stupid and evil.
    Without stupid, evil fails because everyone not-evil is aware enough to stop them from doing evil things.
    Without evil, stupid can't do any harm, because everyone smart will stop them from doing stupid things.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice