General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Makes sense. I think we need a thread for cynic social criticism.
    No, don't.

Okay, hm... Back to PCs and stuff since everything about the GT710 is clear, what are the best peripherals for a reasonable price for BeamNG (Xbox 360 controller aside, we all know it) and what keyboards and mouses are the best bang for the buck for working, gaming and daily use?

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

bang for buck? Dont think such a thing exists besides just buying a cheap membrane one for a fiver XD

3. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Relatively to other things that are way worse. Experts call it "good value" I believe.

4. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Best mouse? Logitech G502. Everything about it is great. If that's too expensive, the G302 is a very good budget mouse.

Best keyboard? IBM Model M. The original is long discontinued, but there's a company that still makes them. The classic model is identical to the original Model M, with the logo being the only difference. They even sell the 101-key version without a Windows key. It's cheaper than a K70 and much better. Unfortunately it's a small company so they only sell in the US, and international shipping might be expensive.
    And yes, I'm serious. If you're wondering why you'd want a white, bulky, 2.5Kg keyboard with a design from the 1980s:
    - Buckling Spring switches. Loud and immensely satisfying to type on. Also good for gaming, it's hard to press them accidentally and the noise isn't an issue, especially with a good headset.
    - They last forever. I'm typing this on an original Model M, built in 1987. 28 years later it still works like new.
    - You can use it as an improvised blunt weapon.

5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Model Ms are awesome although I personally detest noise hence my usage of MX Browns (want to try some MX Clears sometime). Also a little heavy for my liking. Dont think it supports full NKRO or antighost for gamers either.

6. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Ah, okay. What do you think of the Logitech G110? Been thinking about getting that since it's the only gaming keyboard I've ever seen below €100, or here, below €80 (running out of money).
    The G302 seems pretty nice, will consider that one.

7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I personally use a CM Quickfire TK. Really nice board, theres a few in the range.

8. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, looks fine to me. Just... Is there any way to stay below €100?

9. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

I don't really mind the noise, when gaming I can barely hear it and when I'm typing the clack-clack is awesome.
    It doesn't have NKRO, true, but unless you play RTS games or something like that you don't really need it - in most games, you'll have at most 3 keys down at any given time excluding modifiers. Never had issues with keys blocking.

It might not be the best gaming keyboard - after all it is a 30 year old design - but I'll take Buckling Springs over Cherry MX any day even for gaming. The tactile feedback is amazing. I've tried browns, blues, even greens and they aren't even close.

The only keyboard I'd want over this one is a Model M space saver - They're rare, almost a collector's item, more room for mouse movement, and it looks awesome. Unicomp doesn't make those either - they have tenkeyless, but they use the new, more compact design, not the classic bulkier one.

It looks decent, but if it's not a mech it's worthless IMO. As mentioned above the Quickfire keyboards are pretty nice and not too expensive.

10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I think the entry level quickfires are about as cheap as its worth going. For gaming you get full NKRO and anti ghost. You get red/blue/brown keyswitch choice on all models with a few having blacks and greens available too. Backlighting on some models (not all, and to varying degrees too). A range of bog standard keyboards to the TK with its odd hybrid numpad and true tenkeyless designs. Just plain old keyboards that work really nicely.

11. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Alright. All I need is something that is not way too expensive, but better than my old Cherry RS 6000 M. Hands down, it's hard to beat when it's about reliability, but yeah... Old and absolutely nothing fancy about it, I need something with a lot of features and lamps that I don't need. And yes, that sentence makes sense to me. I can wait about the Keyboard though, just the mouse would be nice to replace. Logitech RX 250, functional for work, but not so much for gaming really.

12. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Amen.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

After seeing a buld on PCPartPicker that was called "How to truly NOT make a gaming PC" I have a feeling that some people are too blind to read NOT's, written in capitals. I have a feeling this negative example is how it all started.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/bNxFf7/how-to-truly-not-make-a-gaming-pc

14. DWPro

DWPro
    Expand Collapse

Got a Dell Vostro 3558. 200fps in FS9, so it's good.

15. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Intel HD Graphics 5500? Could be a bit tight with shaders, or am I wrong?

16. DWPro

DWPro
    Expand Collapse

820m, it seems decent for a laptop GPU. Also FS9 is like 12-14 years old by this point so it's not that demanding.

17. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Do you have BeamNG on it, or any other modern game?

18. DWPro

DWPro
    Expand Collapse

None, I need it mostly for school, so I'd rather keep it clean. Except Flight Simulator, that's a must have.

19. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

I personally don't like MS Flight Simulator, but that makes sense.

20. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

I bought a Thinkpad T420. Should have it in 5-7 days. GPU is an HD3000, but I won't be playing games on it, so it's good enough. It's got an i5-2520M @3.2GHz (boost), 4GB DDR3, 1600x900 display. Not bad for £160, it's actually better than most new laptops under £400. RAM can be upgraded to 8GB for £30 if I need more.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice