General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

can get a fair bit of laptop for money these days if you are willing to go second hand.

My 2007 macbook pro. 2.4ghz C2D, 4gb RAM, nvidia 8600GT M. £100.

2. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

I got my Lenovo w510 for 100 bucks and an ssd. I'm pretty happy with it.

3. mumboking

mumboking
    Expand Collapse

I've been looking at those occasionally... I've seen the T430 as well, but I don't like the keyboard design.

4. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

The T430 is crap. They changed the design to make it thinner and lighter, but the new design didn't have the reliability and durability Thinkpads are known for.
    If you want a good Thinkpad, get a T420 or T410. Older models are good, but there's a huge performance gap between Core 2 and i5 CPUs.

5. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I'm currently looking at a Dell Optiplex 510. Pentium D, and an ATi Radeon X850 Pro. I don't really know much else about it other than its BTX and has a bad PSU.

Guy wants $50 for it, he's on drugs I'm guessing.

6. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

The T430's are okayish but like BlueScreen said, get a T420, it was the last of the great ThinkPads. Mine passed my staircase test where I drop it down a flight of stairs, I've done this to every ThinkPad I've ever owned *T43, T60, T61, T400, T410.* If it doesn't pass its not worth owning. Generally I'm very hard on my laptops mostly due to being clumsy af. The T420 will be great laptop and will never let you down, you can also put the 8 thread i7 2760qm in them if you require CPU horsepower. Also, bought a T420 have we mister BlueScreen. Hope you're not copying me! :rolleyes:

7. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

As long as it supports Windows 10 and up...

Wait, did you just say you throw your notebooks down the stairs to check if they survive? Holy crap. By the way, he won't copy you. His specs are exactly one step better than yours, so the only thing that I could imagine him doing would be buying an old crappy desktop for some reason we don't know.

8. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

It's got an i5 CPU, can run W10.

9. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Not bad.
    My dad has two old crappy laptops, a ten year old Medion that can't run it and a five year old Acer that can. He still uses the old one because he still hasn't got the Office license for it (he got both from his big brother). Both are very steady, especially the old 14" Medion, and I have to say, I learned to appreciate old laptops very well. They do what they are supposed to and are basically bullet proof.

10. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

"Do as I say not as I do" I do stupid shit so other people don't have to.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Makes sense to me. Someone has to...

12. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Also I wouldn't say old laptops are bullet proof a lot of them seem to be extremely fragile. Also another little detail about ThinkPads you can date what year and month they where manufactured by looking at the Type sticker, next to the serial number you will see some digits arranged like so "XX/XX" in my case being "11/06" indicating my ThinkPad was made on June of 2011. Just a little bit of useless info I wanted to share.
    --- Post updated ---
    Oh and unofficially you can upgrade the T420 to 16GB's of ram.

Attached Files:

• DSC_0620.JPG
  13. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

For Science.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Don't know who needs 16GB RAM on an old T420.
    You may be right though. Let's say the laptops that survived the last 5-10 years may survive the next five too.
    Science, b*****s. Oh yeah.

15. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Old? 4 years? ummm.. K, and ABS plastic *the type of plastic laptops are made from* gets extremely brittle with age, just ask any vintage mac collector.

16. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

I think we need a new plastic to build laptops with... 4 Years can be pretty old for some people by the way. (Yup, I'm insulting Apple users.)

17. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

18. SuperNoob05

SuperNoob05
    Expand Collapse

After letting my PC reinstall Windows 8.1 from the recovery disc over night I realised that I couldve just changed my HDD settings in the boot order thing to avoid it from booting in to the broken grub and avoid loosing all my files... Well, I wanted to do a clean reinstall at some point anyways.

19. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Windows won't boot on its own if grub is installed on the MBR. You have to boot from a recovery disk to fix the MBR.
    GPT based drives should have no problems. But if your drive is set to GPT you shouldn't be using grub anyway.

20. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice