General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Satan has taken refuge in your GPU.

PS/2 came today, all is not well, PSU seems to be dead. Looks nice though so I got that going for me which is nice.

DSC_0630.JPG

2. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I threw two clearance open box GT 610s in my rig as compute GPUs for rendering. They work ok as long as I don't subject them to anything @VeyronEB sends me.

I say this, I used them, I'm still CPU rendering on a quad-core Pentium Bay-Trail based laptop because I forgot to put the renders on my flash drive. I suck.

3. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Intel disabled non-K overclocking on Skylake CPUs. Now they won't pass POST if BCLK is more than 105% of stock just like older CPUs.

Good thing IMO. Stops people from fucking with the base clock. Should also put an end to unreliable 'OC' H-boards.

Would be nice to have an unlocked i3 though, for proper budget OC. Maybe around the price of an i5-6400 or slightly cheaper.

4. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I was actually thinking about that a couple days ago. I would be in an unlocked i3-k for something like a LAN box. Intel is missing a critical market there, the people who want to overclock, but can't afford an i5, and a Pentium isn't powerful enough. The people who an i3 is perfect for them.

5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

At least the haswell pentiums were all unlocked. If we get any skylake ones, that should remain the same.

6. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

You have a RAV4 as your background. Why?

7. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

completley disagree, who the fuck cares what other people are doing with their chips, it's not like it's illegal to overclock something that's not normally supposed to be overclockable, in fact most people considered the ability to do so a good thing.
    another thing, there was absolutley no VALID reason for intel to do that other then they people to buy their k chips so they get more money

luckily for the people who did want to use the overclock feature, it's all just bios updates so they just have to not update their bios and they can still overclock without paying for the more expensive K chips (which are really just better binned chips in reality)

• Like Like x 1
  8. AwesomeRacer456

AwesomeRacer456
    Expand Collapse

idk, I change up the background.
    I like cars so yea :p

9. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Well, I think you already might knew this, but here is this video:

10. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

So, I opened up the power supply and lowenbehold a blown fuse, replace fuse new fuse blows. Great... Try's another, doesn't blow but now the PSU is dead again... Not my lucky day I must admit... Going to check the rectifier bridge with my diode tester, if all the diodes are good it must be a shorted capacitor/ resistor/ transformer. Hopefully not the latter.

11. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

You mean BCLK unlocked? The only Pentium with an unlocked multiplier is the G3258. There are Skylake Pentiums btw.

12. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I've actually thought about the whole thing and, really, people who screw with the base clock deserve to have their systems blow up. That's really something for enthusiasts and people who know what they're doing. I sure as hell know to leave it alone unless I'm fine tuning within a couple of MHz. Just because one person fries their i5-6400, chipset, drives, GPU doesn't mean that everyone will. This is purely monopolistic behavior and is making me lead towards AMD's Zen when it comes out. I don't support companies that behave like this, which is why I hate myself for purchasing those GT 610s, because Nvidia practices similar monopolistic behavior.

13. Raft

Raft
    Expand Collapse

its about your cpu. low setting at eca + etk 800 is 10fps - 30. i got a pentium g860 so thats why its laggy like that. with that i5 i think you can run it med settings no lag.

14. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

AMD cards are really good in the midrange price range, I mean, tell me a GT or GTX that directly competes to the R7 350, 360 and 370. The latter might exist though, I don't know. R7s are quite nice for certain things. I was really okay with the performance of the 240 until I saw the LTT-video.

15. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Of course Intel did it for the money. But it has benefits.

First, there's a reason proper overclocking is done using the multiplier. It's safer. Base clock affects the iGPU, RAM, and PCIe devices. It's easy to screw up and get an unstable system or kill something. Unless you really know what you're doing, the base clock is best left alone, and with non-K OCing many people suggested it to first time builders.

More importantly, several motherboard companies released 'OC' H series boards. These allow for both BCLK and multiplier OC. Goes well with non-K OC, since it allows overclocking with cheaper parts. But the methods used to achieve this can only be described as a horrible hack, and they're unreliable compared to a proper Z-board. They're also not even that much cheaper.

Yes, you could overclock a cheap CPU. Honestly I'd be fine with that if it was more of a niche thing done by enthusiasts. But you had lots of people in /r/pcmr or buildapc telling first time builders to buy an i3 and OC the base clock. Not good.
    --- Post updated ---
    You'll have a GPU bottleneck with any half decent CPU. With a Sandy Bridge Pentium you might have a CPU bottleneck, i5, unless its a 1st gen you could have a 980Ti and still have a GPU bottleneck in high settings, unless you drive a T series.

16. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

That hurts. Really, really bad idea if you do it improperly. Idiots...
    Well, tdev said they won't port to Unreal Engine 4 anytime soon, because they fear it'll take too much time away so that people don't play anymore due to lack of cool new features.

17. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Exactly.
    Many people were suggesting non-K OC to first time builders. That's not good.
    --- Post updated ---
    Yep. Same people suggesting R9 390s in PCs with a single case fan and a stock Intel CPU cooler because "nvidia is evil 970 3.5gb lol". Yeah sure, have fun with those 80C+ temps.

Then when you point that out you get downvoted because "amd doesnt get hot stop the circlejerk".

18. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

A 950 will trade blows with a 370.

19. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

I need help. I installed freenas, it booted after the install. I created a share in the web gui, and restarted. Now the drive its installed on(which is first in boot order) cant be booted off of, i just get a no operating system found error.

gonna try reinstalling and doing the same things as before, and see if it does it again

20. forzaguy

forzaguy
    Expand Collapse

is it bad that i use an old Pentium 3 i ripped out from a junk computer as a paper weight

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice