General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. mumboking

mumboking
    Expand Collapse

Yes. Why do you even need a paper weight?

2. forzaguy

forzaguy
    Expand Collapse

well more like decor

3. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

A GTX 940 would make sense though.

4. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

I run an open pc case laying on its side like a semi test bench setup. Never worry about evacuating waste heat. No the dust isn't an issue thanks.

5. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

750 Ti

6. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Ah, okay. Makes sense.

7. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

ah, i see, i never really read the new section on the PCMR subreddit, i mostly go there for any PC related news, and occasionally tech support, so i never noticed that there were people just telling them to get a cheap cpu and use the cheat method of overclocking

i just thought you were one of those people who had the mindset of "Who the fuck cares, it's intel's chips they can do what they want", which i personally put in the same pool as people with the mindset of "Who the fuck cares if they lied about microtransactions never being in the game, it's their game, they can do what they want" (*cough* overkill *cough*)

but yeah, i see what you mean, at which point as usual it comes to a case of "This is why we can't have nice things"

8. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I guess it is CYA on Intel's end too - if a lot of people kill their CPUs overclocking, they might get in trouble.

I have no doubt the reason Intel actually did it is to sell their more expensive K CPUs, they are a corporation after all, but it does have some good side effects, even if it's bad news for OC enthusiasts on a budget.

9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I don't get dust issues myself either. I vacuum my room fairly often though, including a quick run of the nozzle around my computers area.
    my case is hardly dust free either, but I've never had issues from it

10. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

My PC is dusty right now. My GPU is loading up into the 90s :(

I should clean it.

11. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Pinesol 10/10 best cleaner. Or shove a swiffer in it.

JK don't do that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I don't understand how people let their rig get so dirty there are thermal issues. Does anyone else have a schedule like I do? I clean mine once a month.

13. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

lolcleaning. i have seen the worst. Dead spiders and other bugs. Also have opened computers that were never cleaned and belonged to smokers. ohhh boy. those were the worst. Do you like carpets? cause thats how much dust there was.

14. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Oh yea. Computers that belonged to smokers are the worst. The three vintage boxes I brough home were all owned by the same person and I think that she was a chain smoker of something, because these things are BAD.

Oh, brake parts cleaner is a great way to get the yellowing of the tobacco off the plastic, I've found.

15. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

And if everything fails, you can paint it over. Or at least try. But how to kill the smell off?

16. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Put some Coffee Pads inside it this helped with mine

17. bhorton

bhorton
    Expand Collapse

Ok, the old family computer is in my room now, awaiting me to tinker with it. Lets just say that it has been dormant for 4 years, and has picked up a large amount of dust in that time. (Opening it up to see what useful parts are in there, for when my new computer arrives later this year)

18. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Interesting. I don't have any vintage towers (no space), but that's good to know anyway.

19. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Yeah iI have a really old Tower PC Case from 1999 there is a lot of space in there to put them in

20. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

That's practical. Also, I think we got an Atari somewhere. Could be in my grandpa's house.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice