General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

I've gotten used the placement of the fn key on ThinkPads granted I've used over 5 generations of ThinkPads. :oops:

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

you have a pinky finger on your left hand don't you?

3. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, but longer shift key makes it easier to reach the centre keys.
    I'm lazy.

4. AwesomeRacer456

AwesomeRacer456
    Expand Collapse

Should I Upgrade To Windows 8.1?
    Or Stay On Windows 7.
    dhs.png
    EDIT: I'm not upgrading to Windows 10.

5. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Either stay 7 or go 10. Windows 8 was a pile of turd, windows 10 is the same but its fixed most of what was wrong with Windows 8.

As a Windows 10 user I feel that it has made literally no change getting Windows 10, it feels like a UI upgrade to Windows 7. Unless you need the extra ~2% performance increase then don't bother.

Oh and the security, uncertainty and forced updates are all issues that will come with Windows 10. Stick with 7, the only thing you're missing out on is a nice looking task manager.

6. AwesomeRacer456

AwesomeRacer456
    Expand Collapse

hmm ok then, I have a Windows 8.1 disk but meh. ill take your words

7. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

So this HD6870 I have been reduced to is now has artifacting problems... (╯°-°)╯︵ ┻━┻.

DSC_0663.JPG

Look at all those lovely red dots! I hate AMD *yes I know the 6870 is a ATI card but same difference* I really, really, hate AMD...

8. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Welp, I'm using a 7 year old HD 5770 and your posts are not filling me with confidence :p I'm way too broke to get anything else either.

No way in hell I'm switching to that 7600gt I have, just...no.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Logi_Veloce

Logi_Veloce
    Expand Collapse

Im getting a new HP 23-inch IPS back on wednesday. The thing broke so I had to use a friend's DELL SE2416H while Best Buy is shipping it to me.

10. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Guess I'm gonna be grabbing myself a GTX 980 some time soon. this artifacting is already getting worse, not to mention BeamNG is now crashing. I have no luck with computers, well other than ThinkPads. :oops:

11. Barathemos

Barathemos
    Expand Collapse

Some of you guys probably don't understand this, and neither do I, but I actually DID like Windows 8. I thought most people did, until I turned to the Internet to see reactions and saw people hated it. My favorite part was actually the start screen, which I know was a common dislike for others. However, I am now running Windows 10 and actually enjoying it a lot. Combined the best parts of Windows 7 and 8.

12. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

i like windows 8 as well. its a good os by my standards.

13. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I've had it. I tried Nvidia, I really did, but I'm sick of them. Their drivers keep disabling my 380, and that's not cool. These GT 610s are going back, and I'm going back to the Red Side for my compute GPU. Incoming R7 240, or R5 230 and a new steam game or something.

14. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

My start menu is snowing... I'm not even mad.

DSC_0672.JPG

15. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

That's your monitor, buddy. Those are dead pixels.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Nope because they're moving, just my second AMD GPU dying...

17. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

I don't know what to think of the drivers, the whole interface is stuck in 2005 and the screen positioning never worked when I used it on my 7600GT. The laptop I had just never worked and wouldn't switch to the Nvidia card no matter what I did. Other wise they seem to work alright, they just don't "do much".

As for compute cards the R7 240 has a good bit more compute performance behind it compared to a GT 610, two of those would be pretty decent. The R5 230 is a hair better that the GT 610 and uses half the power, but only has 1gb of vram.

So yeah the R7 240 is probably the best of them.

18. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

It's a pretty good card. Can't do more than Minecraft, Euro Truck Simulator 2 and stuff like that, but as long as you don't want more performance than that a very good card.
    SHUT UP, LINUS!

19. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

On topic of windows, I honestly like 8.1 best out of all current options still supported, next 7, then 10(which personally I only have for dx12, and the Xbox streaming)

On gpus, its official, I will be rocking a gtx 750 ti starting Wednesday (gets here tomorrow, but I won't be home tomorrow, so Wednesday is when I'll actually be able to start using it)

Running games at decent settings here I come (and since I'm still rocking a 1280x1024 monitor, Ill have a bit of extra power to play with on either higher settings or better fps then someone with a 1080p monitor)

20. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Yea, I've got my eye on the 240. I've pretty much settled on the XFX variant of it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice