General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Depends. What do you want to use it for?

2. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Just general GPU rendering. I don't want to use my 380 for it because I want to protect it and not waste cycles. And I don't want to sit idle while something with an extremely high poly count is rendering. So if I offload the rendering process to another card, it leaves my 380 open for gaming and whatnot while the model is rendering.

I absolutely hated the GT 610s and the Nvidia drivers. Now that my hatred of Nvidia is justified and not fanboyism, I'm moving back. OpenCL is faster than CUDA anyways.

3. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I think the 240 might really be the best choice there. You won't find anything other than it at that price point, let alone something that's better. The R5s are worse.

4. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

:cool: now that's funky.

5. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Where's my thumbs down button, @Dummiesman?

• Like Like x 2
  6. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

It's not in the budget, need the money for the amazing tires ;):cool::cool::cool:
    The smaller gpu on the side is a cool concept. I've never rendered a thing unfortunately.

7. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

An R5 230 is basically an HD 6450, which is basically an HD 5450. And they're all pretty much useless. I'm going to try that 240.

• Like Like x 2
  8. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

I mean, you were using what is generally considered literally the worst option in nvidias lineup for basically everything, as even an Intel igpu (HD 4000 or newer) is more powerful then it

On the drivers side, that's most certainly bullshit, nvidia has no valid reason whatsoever to disable your and gpu (also to clear it up, I mean that nvidia doing that is bullshit, not that I'm saying I call bullshit on it doing that, I 100% believe that nvidia would do something like that (sadly))

9. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

It turns out that one of them was defective. I also completely understand that they were bottom basement, that's why I bought them. They were low power for rendering only.

10. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Huh, my second monitor randomly flashes black squares once in a while, nothing annoying. Just weird...

plsnodie

11. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I've got white bars that'll flash every now and again. But I think it's the kind-of-almost-sort-of dead HDMI cable I'm forced to use.

12. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

Question,
    I have a sonnet bg3-400 for old powermacs. There are sold listings on ebay for 150+. Im thinking im gonna sell it, as the computer it came in has a dead hard drive and the case is impossible to open. Do you guys think i should sell it?

computer its in is a power mac 6500. Has a built in subwoofer which is pretty cool i guess.

EDIT
    well i semi fixed the hard drive. it had the click of death. by sheer luck, i had the EXACT same drive, so i switched their boards and now no more click of death. bad thing is it still doesnt boot into Mac OS

#3552 Narwhal, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  13. eeEtilt

eeEtilt
    Expand Collapse

My old card was a slightly overclocked 5450. It sucked. And what sucks is they don't do Crossfire.

14. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

ftfy

15. eeEtilt

eeEtilt
    Expand Collapse

True dat xD
    I want to take a thousand 5450s and a flamethrower and - you guessed it - BURN THEM ALL.
    Wouldn't Linus love that?

16. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

I think I temporarily fixed my 6870 by dumping voltage on it via MSI afterburner. Let's see how long it lasts until it explodes.

17. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

bump the voltage. you know you have enough when the voltage regulator module starts to smoke.

18. Zorin-Ind.

Zorin-Ind.
    Expand Collapse

I have an Asus R7 240 in my workstation (Optiplex 990 SFF, i5 2400). It's the 2GB DDR3 version. Great card if you can get it second-hand (Mine was 25$).
    I overclocked it using MSI Afterburner and made a custom fancurve. Temps vary between 50 and 55 degrees when playing BeamNG. It's also really quiet.
    It seems you can overclock it like a maniac up to 1100 MHz at ease.

#3558 Zorin-Ind., Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  19. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

In a surprise turn of events, the PC build I bought that was supposed to be coming on the 25th has already been dispatched. Since it's coming from Portsmouth that probably means around 2 days max, which is exciting.

20. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

I am planning to revive the Miracle Machine as a render machine. It'll have my GTX 650 in it's PCIe 16x slot and the 8800GT in the 8x slot. I have no idea how it'll deal with it tbh. I'm going to run Debian on it with Blender and whatever else to render stuff. It will take longer than my gaming machine to render stuff, but my gaming machine will be usable while rendering.

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice